• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Living on a Sailboat

CAMike

None
Contributor
One of our CO's circa 1985 CDR C. Lavar lived aboard a 32' ish sailboat. He had recently gone through a divorce and wished to live a more Simple" life. I hear it wasn't a short term deal either. From all accounts he was very well suited to the lifestyle and enjoyed it immensely. I think it would have been quite a nice touch to bong off the departing gals in the morning. How many bells for .... ah never mind.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I lived aboard in San Diego.....awesome time doing it.....would I do it over again....no. DO NOT DO IT.......go rent a sailboat when your need to sail comes about.
Bads:
Sometimes hard to find a slip to keep your boat. (Good luck in San Diego)
Weather can be interesting.
Everyone wants to go sailing with you all the time.
Depreciation.
Getting the bottom cleaned/painted.
Engine maintenance
Hard to transport on a PCS
Who watches your boat while you are on cruise
etc

Goods:
On the water everyday after work.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Another possibility besides for buying a slip (most places have greater than a year long wait and charge at base 15 bucks per foot of boat for a slip, on top of electric. fuel etc) is "anchoring out" which is "free."

Of course there is the hassle of wear and tear on your boat, dingying all of your supplies to the boat (propane, batteries, food, water, etc...) and the inherent danger of doing those evolutions at night, not to mention the increased danger of another boat dragging into you... and eventually to do the maintenance that is ten times more complex and expensive than a regular home, you'll have to find a place to come ashore.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Another possibility besides for buying a slip (most places have greater than a year long wait and charge at base 15 bucks per foot of boat for a slip, on top of electric. fuel etc) is "anchoring out" which is "free."

You'll find most major cities also have issues w/ live-aboards being anchored/moored just like they do being in slips. One way or another, you'll have to pay a fee unless you constantly move your boat around, which would be annoying.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
You'll find most major cities also have issues w/ live-aboards being anchored/moored just like they do being in slips. One way or another, you'll have to pay a fee unless you constantly move your boat around, which would be annoying.
Had not heard of that, but wouldn't be surprised... it seems the bureaucracy is generally opposed to the idea of live aboards i.e. In the bay area the BCDC imposed restrictions on marinas mandating that only 10% of their slips could have live aboards, although nearly all of the marinas fudge that number a little and smaller marinas act even shadier...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I always thought it would be cool to live on a sailboat and was wondering .....
Did it/LOVED it several years ago -- even got written up in a magazine. In the NAVY it's a little tougher than in civie street; if for no other reason than what kind of facilities are available for live-aboard moorage where you might be stationed.

But my "boat" was more like a mobile apartment, i.e., set-up, beamy, and nice. Which brings up a point that eventually led me out of the boat-hotel and back onto dry land .... You gotta make a choice:

1. Are you going to "live" on the boat?? Piece of cake. Everything has a place and everything IN it's place. .... Or ...

2. Are you going to go sailing once in a while??? Then, you have to keep putting away and taking out --- it doesn't work too well unless you are sailin' around the world.

It really, really makes a difference which mindset you are of -- it's hard to be set up to do BOTH, you've gotta' make the choice, at least in my experience.

Would I do it again?? Maybe ... but again, the "boat" would have to be "set up" and something akin to a nice, executive-style apartment. Only narrower. :)

donnyglaze

I actually had this same idea after watching The Replacements with Keanu. He lives on a boat, and if it's good enough for Neo, it's good enough for me right? Only change is that I wouldn't live in that floating tin can. I was thinking something more along the lines of this:

http://www.buyaboat.net/boat_listings.aspx?boat_id=311

Sure it seems like a lot of money for a boat, but is that really a lot of money for a house, let alone a HOUSEBOAT?!
(FYI In this area of CT, $450G is more along the norm than the extreme. It sucks.)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Catalina 30 ...
Nice boat for an afternoon of sailing, just too small to live aboard and NOT feel/live like you're campin' out.

Unless, of course, the goal is practicing for life in your stateroom on the carrier ... :)

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Nice boat for an afternoon of sailing, just too small to live aboard and NOT feel/live like you're campin' out.
I've got the T-shirt....nothing like coming home to the boat for a camp out session after a Warner Springs a$$beating.:icon_rage

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've got the T-shirt....nothing like coming home to the boat for a camp out session after a Warner Springs a$$beating.:icon_rage
The mattress was probably better than the North Island BOQ Concrete Special . . . but at that point, I was beyond caring . . .

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Had not heard of that, but wouldn't be surprised... it seems the bureaucracy is generally opposed to the idea of live aboards i.e. In the bay area the BCDC imposed restrictions on marinas mandating that only 10% of their slips could have live aboards, although nearly all of the marinas fudge that number a little and smaller marinas act even shadier...

Exactly. That pretty much is what happens around the country. Some places are more friendly than others, but over time, everyone wants their money.

navy_or_bust

One of my original reasons was I eventually want to sail around the world and if I already have the boat that would be great. But for now I will just plan to build the equity up in a house and the just probably sell it for a sweet boat. Like that cat I already posted. :)

phrogpilot73

The mattress was probably better than the North Island BOQ Concrete Special . . . but at that point, I was beyond caring . . .
Ahhh, the beauty of non-availability... When I went through the SERE suck - I stayed at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina. My room opened up to the pool/hot tub deck. It was VERY nice! The only thing we used the BOQ for was to park our rental car while we were gone...