• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Living on a Sailboat

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just think, in a few years, after multiple deployments, your boat will start looking like Saddam's personal pleasure craft:

imagecyzs.jpg

-ea6bflyr ;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And I was considering moving around on it from time to time. I was thinking I also might go down the coast to Florida for some vacation time at some point.

If you're looking to do any traveling in a boat, and not interested in a sail boat, I'd seriously look at trawlers. Like MB is saying, that hull shape isn't the greatest, and taking something house-boat like across the the Sounds in the Carolinas while doing the ICW would be a rough ride. I think a boat that sized would fit down the Dismal Swamp, but it's probably starting to get kind of big for that area. Disclaimer, I haven't been through the Dismal Swamp in over 20 years, so my memory may be a bit fuzzy.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You mean the size, or the actual shape? Swanee mentioned it's pretty big, so now I'm looking for closer to 30 ft. if that makes any difference. Draft is closer to 3 ft as opposed to the 6-ft that the boat I posted has. But if it's the shape, what would be better, something like a pontoon or a catamaran?

Houseboats excel at sitting on flat water. They can move forward on water, as long as the water is pretty flat. Much more than those two things, it's hard on the crew and the boat.

MasterBates

That will probably fit down the Chesapeake and Albemarle canal, probably not the dismal swamp canal.

Sent from a van down by the river via Tapatalk

MasterBates

You mean the size, or the actual shape? Swanee mentioned it's pretty big, so now I'm looking for closer to 30 ft. if that makes any difference. Draft is closer to 3 ft as opposed to the 6-ft that the boat I posted has. But if it's the shape, what would be better, something like a pontoon or a catamaran?

Shape. Houseboats have miserable seakeeping qualities.

phrogpilot73

That would suck to get from Florida to Virginia, if you're doing it via water. ICW, canals, rivers, that's all it can handle. Deep V hull is needed for the open water...

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor

MasterBates

Have you calculated fuel costs?
You may shit kittens when you do.

I have a SINGLE Mercruiser 7.4, and my GPH is astrofuckingnomical. Like $200+ in gas to go out for an afternoon, and only at WOT to get on plane.

Most houseboats don't plane.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Not only that, I'd be leery of a gas powered boat. Diesel just seems like a safer way to go for a larger vessel. Gas is great for small center console/RHIB/etc (I've owned them), but for something with an engine room...but that's just based on my past life.

Also, watch the engine hours versus age of the boat. That one you linked is a '85 boat with only 1000 hours. I'd ask why it's so low, or if it's really 1000 hours (it may be since it looks pretty new...I didn't read any of the verbage if it mentioned it).

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Not yet. The description for that last boat stated it was "very economical," so that sounds promising...
I was gonna wait until I settle on a particular ship before I start number-crunching, but I might as well use that one as a benchmark to start with. Someone on another site said a conservative rule of thumb for trawlers would be about a mile per gallon. If I figure I'll go out for about 6-8 hours per month, at maybe 8 knots, 8*8*$4.00 = $256 per month at the high end, not including the gas used to power the generator if needed. Not sure how to estimate that though.

phrogpilot73

Also, watch the engine hours versus age of the boat. That one you linked is a '85 boat with only 1000 hours. I'd ask why it's so low, or if it's really 1000 hours (it may be since it looks pretty new...I didn't read any of the verbage if it mentioned it).
Ours was a '92, and it only had about 100 hours on the engine. Turns out he put in a new motor/outdrive 2 years ago. His loss is my gain (he wanted ~9 grand, but he put it on ebay with no reserve and we won at $6500).

Not yet. The description for that last boat stated it was "very economical," so that sounds promising...
I was gonna wait until I settle on a particular ship before I start number-crunching, but I might as well use that one as a benchmark to start with. Someone on another site said a conservative rule of thumb for trawlers would be about a mile per gallon. If I figure I'll go out for about 6-8 hours per month, at maybe 8 knots, 8*8*$4.00 = $256 per month at the high end, not including the gas used to power the generator if needed. Not sure how to estimate that though.
Are you planning on boating from duty station to duty station, or trailering? Boating is going to be fucking astronomical.

MasterBates

In fact, you may be able to purchase THE PUMA.

I think the current owner may be looking for a new toy as he has a house now.