• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennfly

What is life like in OCS? What is the routine? Is there any down time? Is it seven days a week or do you get an off day? What are the living conditions?
I'm trying to get mentally ready. Physically, I'm there.
Tennfly

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
I think what Lugginjugs is trying to say is that there are no off days at OCS. You just get a 24 hour (max) liberty when the Sgt. Instructors so feel inclined. As far as routine I can't tell you since I haven't been there yet, but as I understand it, it involves being tired all the time, lol. Physically..if you aren't pulling a 300 PFT without a prob, you probably aren't there yet (not bashing you, just some friendly words). I'm sure other people can fill you in with the rest that I missed (a whole lot).

Killer2

TRONS!
None
Tennfly said:
What is life like in OCS? What is the routine? Is there any down time? Is it seven days a week or do you get an off day? What are the living conditions?
I'm trying to get mentally ready. Physically, I'm there.
Tennfly
Its like "controlled chaos" The routine is in not so many words...you do what they tell you when they tell you. It all depends on what is on the plate for the day. Say that day you have a hump then you will get up have chow go on the hump, then chow again, then do a field exercise like SULE I, then hump out, then chow, then what ever they want at that time. It all depends at what time you are talking about. Early on the platoon staff has a lot of control but as you get further along then the candidates are expected to step up and take charge. It is seven days a week. You might get the later half of Saturday and early Sunday off after week three but that time (libo) flies by and can go unnoticed. You live in the squad bay (full metal jacket) watch that and that is how you live minus the towel parties.

KBayDog

By the time you are finished, you are a zombie. Expect a few months to be "back to your 'old self.'"

Oh, and a thing about liberty - yes, it is "your" time, but keep this in mind: OCS liberty, just like everything else, is a TEST. "They" inspect you, brief you, and send you out into the World for 24 hours. Guess what? "They" are out there too, and they are ALWAYS watching. (It isn't too hard to figure out what the bald guys in khaki pants are doing within a 50-mile radius of Quantico...) Plus, liberty isn't just a time to drink a few beers - it is also a time to get stuff done/study, if you need to.

Just like in life, if you are alert 24/7, you'll be fine.

h2olover4

Hey kbaydogg,
This might seem like a stupid question, but oh well, I'll go for it anyways. You mentioned they are out there watching you w/in a 50m mile radius. So, if I have family that want to pick me up and let me stay at their house which is further away, but not too far, am I allowed to go with them, or do I have to stay w/in so far of the base? Just curious. They are looking forward to haivng me out there, so I hope I can see them. Thanks for your response.
Sarah

Taxman2A

War were declared.
When you have liberty, if you have family within an 80 mile radius you will be allowed to see them. Keep in mind that if you are put on any type of probation your off base liberty gets revoked, and you may not be allowed to see them. If you are "duty platoon" during that liberty then you may not be able to see them.

KBayDog

h2olover4 said:
You mentioned they are out there watching you w/in a 50m mile radius.

What I meant by that, Sarah, is that candidates stick out like a sore thumb in northern Virginia when they are out on liberty. They all wear khakis, polo shirts, have sunburn lines from their covers, and travel in little groups. They go to every eatery in Fredericksburg, Stafford, Dale City, Woodbridge, etc.

In other words, the OCS staff can spot a candidate a mile away. If the candidate is not acting like s/he should, the candidate should expect to be "standing tall" on Monday and going home on Tuesday.

Common sense rules apply: Don't drink to excess and get "stupid," don't go into WalMart in cut-offs and shower shoes, don't wear jeans if they tell you they are unauthorized, MAKE SURE YOU ARE BACK EARLY, etc.

It sounds silly that these things have to be mentioned, but candidates are busted on liberty all the time. If you are busted on liberty, it is a safe bet that you will be going home.

lugginjugs

Not a good flight for SNA...but good enough.
What I really meant was that if he was actually physically there.....he would know what it was like. I couldn't resist. But while I'm at it - It pays to be in peak physical condition (being younger helps too) and what most applicants will not appreciate until they are in OCS is that sleep deprivation takes its toll on the body. The body doesn't regenerate well on 4-5 hours of sleep a night - for weeks on end. I doubt anyone's PT program incorporates this. I wouldn't advocate it either.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Unless you are going seniors...all the juniors get 8 hours per night not including fire watch. Yes you're tired, but it's not exactly zombie tired. You adjust by the third week and it's good to go. Class is a whole other story. They put sleeping gas in the a/c system in the classrooms. Don't bob, you'll get called out by the instructor and it's not unnoticed by your platoon staff seated in the back. Not to mention it's disrespectful. Sip that water and take notes. If you're a 300 PFT you're there. Only two of those in my platoon and they were recognized as studs. Just make sure you're not cheating on form...your trash won't count and you'll watch your 300 turn into a 240 like nothing. Also, the run course is 3.2 miles so plan on a slower time. DRINK WATER, the silver bullet is alive and well on Brown Field. Two times and you're going home.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Who told you they put sleeping gas in the a/c system in the classrooms? I didn't even know they had a functioning a/c system, it was always "broken."

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
It just seems like there's sleeping gas in the a/c systems. Your body hits that cold air...you sit down and...lights out. Last increment the a/c worked pretty well. It was only broken in Classroom 1 once or twice.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Come to think of it, I couldn't say which were harder to stay awake in... OCS Classrooms or TBS Classrooms. At least at TBS I could fuel a then-raging coffee addiction, but I'm not sure that helped so much.

hmmmm.

UORBulldog

sleep at jrs

I just got back from Juniors and there is no way I ever got 8 hours of sleep any night including liberty. We had lights out at 2100 and then reveille at 5 but that doesnt include the pounding on the duty hatch every 5 minutes starting at 04 and waking everybody up. Plus you will want to have your socks on and have your trousers, blouse, and boots ready to put on in like 2 mintues once the lights come on so you cant just sleep til lights on. For the first few weeks very few people actually went to sleep at 2100 most probably 2230 or so because of stuff they had to square away, and you have to stay in your rack until 2145 or 2200 depending on what your platoon sergeant says. And all that doesn't include firewatch or essays you have to write that are due by reveille. Also there is no time to study for any of the written tests so you have to do that during the night also. O ya another thing, if you are in a billet pretty much platoon sergeant or higher and all the company billets you will probalby have to get up early to make sure trash is ready to go for that day. I probably slept anywhere from 4 to 6 hours a night. The only time that will affect you is in the classroom when you will be nodding off like it is your job or if you are having to stand at attention or parade rest for a long period of time, like during inspections or parade practice. Other than that whenever you are busy doing something you wont notice it and you actually start to get used to it a little bit by the end.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had nodoz there with me (yes it is comtraband and if they offer amnesty before a search throw it in the pile then get more on libo that helped) also a good wasy to wake up in the middle of the night of you ahve sh#t to do is down two canteens of water you will wake up having to piss in about an hour or two and it helps with hydration I wish you all luck, not sure I would ever want to do it again but the rewards are many once you get through all the hurdles.
Semper Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.