• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life after OCS: where do you live? house barracks etc.

Surf

pilot
Nice avatar Alex! First time I've ever seen one of my pics used that way.
I am fan of your photos! I frequent the picture thread on here for new desktop wallpapers, and in this case an avatar.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
who pissed in everyone's wheaties in this thread? Considering that most of my extended family and friends think that I get up every morning from my barracks room at 0500 for PT, have my room inspected by my Chief, that their "non commissioned OFFICER" friend is my direct superior, that I make less than a McDonald's employee, and that I "really should consider using my GI bill to go to college......oh wait, when do you have to re-up?", I can see how the girl would not have any idea what gives. Like the others have said, live where you want. There have, in the last 10 years, been some examples of new guys/gals checking into Pensacola/Whiting who have been required to live in base housing if it is available, but that is a different discussion, and I don't know if it ever was a legitimate requirement, legally speaking. Speaking of which, are Whiting dudes still being forced to live in base housing?

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I am fan of your photos! I frequent the picture thread on here for new desktop wallpapers, and in this case an avatar.

Well thanks - I appreciate the comments. I'll have to dig up some more to post.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
There have, in the last 10 years, been some examples of new guys/gals checking into Pensacola/Whiting who have been required to live in base housing if it is available, but that is a different discussion, and I don't know if it ever was a legitimate requirement, legally speaking. Speaking of which, are Whiting dudes still being forced to live in base housing?
Just to clarify, OP isn't headed down there, she's CEC, so she's headed out to the West Coast after OCS. But you may have been speaking generally.
As for Whiting studs, I'll defer to @AllYourBass on that one, but I believe the answer is no. I know he wasn't forced to move, but I can't say for sure about anyone else.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Just to clarify, OP isn't headed down there, she's CEC, so she's headed out to the West Coast after OCS. But you may have been speaking generally.
As for Whiting studs, I'll defer to @AllYourBass on that one, but I believe the answer is no. I know he wasn't forced to move, but I can't say for sure about anyone else.

You got it....I just meant in a general sense

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I'd like to add that there are very few "BOQ's" anymore. Most are combined with enlisted, NJROTC, Boy Scouts, Retiree's, contractors, etc.... Speaking from experience, living in the Q can really test your patience. In my time staying at the Q I had everything from crazy high school kids running around at all hours, to enlisted guys holding block parties. I would not recommend it for extended stays.

skittle986

Ensign, Civil engineer corps, U.S Navy.
I'd like to add that there are very few "BOQ's" anymore. Most are combined with enlisted, NJROTC, Boy Scouts, Retiree's, contractors, etc.... Speaking from experience, living in the Q can really test your patience. In my time staying at the Q I had everything from crazy high school kids running around at all hours, to enlisted guys holding block parties. I would not recommend it for extended stays.

well I definitely don't want to deal with that. :)

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot

I don't know of anybody who lives in Whiting's base housing. A buddy who had to stand watch there for almost a week said just about nobody lives in that housing.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you all for answering. I know after OCS I will be going to CECOS in Port Hueneme, CA. Most likely after that I will get my first orders in CA as well but I live in New York. That will be a big commute but i didn't think about the whole roommate situation. I guessI will start thinking about that now.

You never know as a CEC officer where your first duty station will be, out of all the ones I put in only 1 had their first duty station in CA, some were Guam, Japan, Mississippi, VA, and Bahrain.

Renegade One

None
This is…well, a shame. The BOQ/Officers' Closed Mess of my time wasn't elegant, you understand..but it was gentlemanly. A two-room suite, private head, "Closed Mess"on the ground floor…no-cost breakfast (to order) and supper (a nightly special or steak…plus wine). I can't recall eating "lunch" there.
Again, it wasn't "The Regimental Mess of the 11th Hussars" in Harry Flashman's time…but it didn't suck. It was just…nice…when one had no other plans, and some studying to do.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I don't know of anybody who lives in Whiting's base housing. A buddy who had to stand watch there for almost a week said just about nobody lives in that housing.

There are plenty of people who live there. It's privatized so now it's open to anyone with an ID card or base connections. There was a mix of single and married students, IPs and families and others who lived there last time I stopped in.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thank you all for answering. I know after OCS I will be going to CECOS in Port Hueneme, CA. Most likely after that I will get my first orders in CA as well but I live in New York. That will be a big commute but i didn't think about the whole roommate situation. I guessI will start thinking about that now.

How do you know you're getting orders to CA? My CEC applicant won't know her ultimate duty station until after OCS. Also, baby CEC Officers go to either CA or Gulfport, MS from what I've been told, so I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket being stationed in CA.

exNavyOffRec

How do you know you're getting orders to CA? My CEC applicant won't know her ultimate duty station until after OCS. Also, baby CEC Officers go to either CA or Gulfport, MS from what I've been told, so I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket being stationed in CA.

I was told the same thing, but most of mine went to Public Works positions, they were all told to be prepared to go to a Battalion but for whatever reason most didn't even have Battalion as an option when it came to get orders.