• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lets be honest now.....

Lawman

None
You know I can honestly say that my only desire as far as selection goes is that I want something that can shoot back. Yeah there fixed wings Id prefer over others and rotory Id prefer over other Helo's but really thats my only requirement, something where I can push a button and rain down fire and hell.

Is this an abnormal attitude to have? Because it seems like everybody has that one platform they want and nothing else is good enough.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
I see two ways someone could be unhappy about their selection. One is if you're forced into somethign you don't want, and the other is if you get what you want, and then realize that you don't like it. I'm actually more scared of the latter than the former.

The way I look at it is if the Navy is going to force something on me after I've done my best, there isn't a damn thing I can do or could have done about it. However, if I get my first choice and end up hating it for whatever reason, I'll have no one but myself to blame.

As much as I want jets, I've never flown in one, and all I really know about them is what I've seen on tv or airshows. Similarly, from what I've been told, I know that the P3 lifestyle would be easier than the jet lifestyle, but having never deployed I can't really comprehend what it would be like.

Basically, I'm worried that should I be fortunate enough to be able to select whatever I want someday, I'll either pick jets and hate them, or I'll pick something else and always regret passing up jets. No matter what, I'll make the best of it, but I am worried about regetting my selection. I've heard about Marines who get forced into jets, and weird as this sounds, I'd rather be forced into going jets than select them voluntarily (not that this would happen for a Navy guy).

This isn't coming from a lack of motivation or anything like that. I'm only worried because I know how clueless and inexperienced I am. Does anyone understand where I'm coming from here?

P.S. Perhaps some of this has to do with the fact that since I joined the Navy, I don't think I've so much as even seen one single Navy jet pilot.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Bevo said:
Gator, that may be the case for HSL, but not the HS world. VT/HT is not in demand for us, and very few go that route.

It's really weird how things get like that. Feast for one community, famine for another. I guess I should have said that the case I mentioned above was a year ago, as well. Things might be back on the "downward" trend.

Lawman

None
highlyrandom said:
Wait, what do we have that can't shoot back? Besides C-9s, E-2s, and C-12s. Hell, you can always depressurize, open a window, and open up with your 'nine.'

Ok something a bit more specific, a platform where I have a button that rains down fire, death, and destruction. No offense to the Helo guys but I really dont like the idea of sitting up in the front of the aircraft hopping that guy on the .50 in the back gets the SOB shooting at me. Id much rather put my nose/pipper/turret/Death Star Superlaser on the guy and send him to whatever god of his choosing. And no Im not about to go all WWI and start shooting at somebody with a handgun from the cockpit/cabin door.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
In my class, first choice was P-3s, last choice was F-4s. Go figure.
Sounds like someone was trying to avoid a stay in a certain Hilton Hotel - pussies.

Brett

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
heyjoe said:
That's all he had to drop and I'd say pretty fine piece of flying to figure out where it was going to go...not exactly designed for that

Not surprising that CAG might be a bit upset...CAGs have to worry that others might try same thing and hazard themselves

That's part of the syllabus in the Super Hornet RAG, now. Buddy Store bombing is the coolest. The 5 wet SH is a Dhow killing machine.:D

(Can you smell that...it's called sarcasm)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
ip568 said:
In my class, first choice was P-3s, last choice was F-4s. Go figure.
When I selected out of NFO primary, VP was the first choice for many too (for NFOs at least, but I never heard of a problem getting enough pilots either). But times were different then. Carriers were routinely doing 9 month deployments and VP was the only community doing its wartime mission (minus the final weapons drop) routinely. In the VP world, there was always a shortage of aircrew with a bunch of planes and almost unlimited flight time. Deployment sites were many and fun. There were Russian subs everywhere, you were guaranteed a DH tour and 95% made CDR/O-5.

I was one of the lucky VP guys. I tracked 43 different Russian subs and had 2400 hours as a NFO at the end of my first (46 month) tour. Some of the first tour pilots in my squadron were hitting 3000-3200 hours.

During my DH tour (21 months), I got another 4 Russian subs and was in the 2nd or 3rd squadron (outside of VPU) to do the overland warfare/EO thing (Bosnia) and bagged another 1400 hours of NFO time. Planes were getting fewer, but flight hours were still ok. Squadron tours were being shortened, squadrons were dropping like flies, JOs were getting RIFed, and VP morale sucked. There were 2 LCDRs for each DH slot and only about 50% were making CDR. We had pilots and NFOs applying for transitions to different warfare communities left and right.

Now VP has no planes, no flight hours and the mission is radically different. DH opportunities suck, making LCDR is questionable.

I loved VP. I actually did not initially get VP out of primary (there was only 1 slot for the 16 guys selecting) but as I was #2 in my class the VT-10 CO pulled some strings and got me in. Now I would not recommend VP to anyone who might even think of making a career in the Navy. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that is using the Navy as a path to the airlines either. A jet guy with 1500-2000 hours of PIC has a better chance than a P-3 guy with the same flight time who might have 800 PIC. Plus the jet guys has probably 1500 flights where the P-3 guys has maybe 500. The P-3 pilots advantage used to be 3500 hours compared to the jet guys 1500-2000 hours. That advantage is gone.

As an outsider looking in (since I haven't been in a squadron since 1996 and retired in 1998), from what I can see the only big thing VP has going for it right now is life style and beer on deployment (assuming its not in an Islamic country).

Our selections 20 or more years ago, and the reasons we chose what we did, are not really relevant to the young guys selecting today. Times are different, planes are different, missions are different and even the lifestyles are different.

My advice to the youngsters - do the best you can in training so that you might get your first choice. If you don't get your first choice, keep doing your best anyway. Chances are you will end up loving whatever aircraft you fly. And even if you don't like where you end up, you will still gain valuable life experience and your service will make you a better person.

Edit: I am extremely happy to hear that my opinion of the current state of VP seems to be wrong...see the thread P-3 Life - it has great info.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
heyjoe said:
We made him an honorary member of our squadron..patches and all. Larger than life for sure and great fun on liberty

Just looking at your profile.. which squadron? Diamondbacks or the Gypsies?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Honorary Diamondback

TurnandBurn55 said:
Just looking at your profile.. which squadron? Diamondbacks or the Gypsies?

Diamondbacks while in port Sri Lanka

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Sometimes success is doing what you have to, not what you want to.

Honestly, I was upset back in the day when I selected E2/C2. It was my second choice and though I got carrier aircraft it was not what I intended. In the end, I like what I've done, no regrets. The flying isn't the best but the lifestyle is great. I'm tired now, glad to be getting out after two VRC tours and a VAW FRS tour. I won't necessarily miss it but I also wouldn't change a thing if I could go back and do so. Again, no regrets here.