• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Lemoore FA-18 Crash

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This thread makes me so happy I don't have to deal with the boat, although dealing with the Air Force with their red line of death and their dumb ass insistence that no one go up or down the ladder while fueling is another level of stupidity.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
This thread makes me so happy I don't have to deal with the boat, although dealing with the Air Force with their red line of death and their dumb ass insistence that no one go up or down the ladder while fueling is another level of stupidity.

Try being assigned to an AF squadron...

Makes me miss ONLY having to deal with the red line of death...

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
OK ok ok, so this "Red Line" thing... never heard of it as a helo guy - we spend our blessed existences near the coast, where it is always nice and the only Air Force problems we have are when they set all our car alarms off taking off.

After some googling, I found this: http://www.afgsc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123314967. If I understand correctly: you cross a "red line," and you get NJP? What are these for? Nukes?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After some googling, I found this: http://www.afgsc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123314967. If I understand correctly: you cross a "red line," and you get NJP? What are these for? Nukes?

It had its genesis with SAC and Lemay in the Cold War. The AF was super-paranoid about infiltrators/saboteurs around its ground-alert bombers*. Thus, the Red Line of Death on flight lines to control approach and access. When ground alert went away and the AF merged their weapons security guys with their regular Air Police, the sanctity of the Red Line remained, even once the reason for it went away.

*In fairness, I think when it comes to nukes, I'd rather they erred on the side of paranoia than leaving them out unguarded all night.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
It had its genesis with SAC and Lemay in the Cold War. The AF was super-paranoid about infiltrators/saboteurs around its ground-alert bombers*. Thus, the Red Line of Death on flight lines to control approach and access. When ground alert went away and the AF merged their weapons security guys with their regular Air Police, the sanctity of the Red Line remained, even once the reason for it went away.

*In fairness, I think when it comes to nukes, I'd rather they erred on the side of paranoia than leaving them out unguarded all night.

The red line keeps the nukes safe, and makes getting to your aircraft to preflight a bitch without one of those airforce crew vehicles they use to ferry all of their pilots around.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The red line allows the elite "security forces" to sit on their ass in one spot instead of actually securing the flight line. That way, the red line only is a hindrance to people who give a shit about the red line. Everyone is special in the Air Force, so pilots walk well out of their way to avoid stepping over a line painted on the ground.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
When ground alert went away and the AF merged their weapons security guys with their regular Air Police, the sanctity of the Red Line remained, even once the reason for it went away.

There are still a few aircraft that sit a SAC-style alert. The Navy has adopted the "Red Line of Death" model as well, at least with TACAMO birds. I didn't have a problem with it most of the time. At Travis some of the MAs would exercise a bit of common sense and wouldn't actively try to make our lives miserable. At Offutt on the other hand...

It was very early in the morning, and we had just landed after a 12-ish hour flight. After we shut down and the Battle Nerds got out, I go out to do my walk around. The wingtips on the E-6 were pretty close to the red line. Well, I was paying more attention to where my flashlight was pointed than where I was walking and broke red. When I walked back over the line, A1C Snuffy standing 20 yards away lost his shit. I know he was watching me the whole time.

That and many other instances made me permanently loathe AF security forces.