• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Lemoore FA-18 Crash

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Debatable. Roger Wilco actually makes sense.
Roger - I've heard you
Wilco - I will comply.
Roger Wilco - I've heard you and will comply
Roger - I've heard and understand.
Wilco - I've heard, understand, and will comply.
Roger Wilco - Department of Redundancy Department. "Roger" is implied in "Wilco." You can't follow what you don't understand, you can only make an ass of yourself trying.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Debatable. Roger Wilco actually makes sense.
Roger - I've heard you
Wilco - I will comply.
Roger Wilco - I've heard you and will comply
As someone much closer to the era from which those phrases originate, I disagree. Your definitions are correct. But you never used "Roger Wilco" as a response to instructions from ATC. "Wilco" implies you heard ATC and understand their instruction, or you would not be in a position to assert compliance. "Roger Wilco" is, in part, redundant. If you mean to communicate your intention to comply with an ATC instruction a simple "Wilco" is appropriate. As an old school traditionalist and stickler for concise communication on the radio, I am making it my personal mission to bring back "Wilco" to common parlance. If you are plying the skies and hear an airline pilot respond with a "Wilco", there is a very high likelihood it is me. Use it all the time.

edit: crap nittany beat my post by seconds.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I flew with a guy who had a Forbidden Phrases list.

"Interrogative" - The English language already has perfectly good ways of conveying the interrogative tense. Saying "interrogative" as well just clobbers the radio and makes you sound like a tool.
"Be advised" - Ditto. If you must convey that information is critical but no immediate action is required, "heads up" sounds better.
"At this time" - That's implied unless you give a different time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As someone much closer to the era from which those phrases originate, I disagree. Your definitions are correct. But you never used "Roger Wilco" as a response to instructions from ATC. "Wilco" implies you heard ATC and understand their instruction, or you would not be in a position to assert compliance. "Roger Wilco" is, in part, redundant. If you mean to communicate your intention to comply with an ATC instruction a simple "Wilco" is appropriate. As an old school traditionalist and stickler for concise communication on the radio, I am making it my personal mission to bring back "Wilco" to common parlance. If you are plying the skies and hear an airline pilot respond with a "Wilco", there is a very high likelihood it is me. Use it all the time.

edit: crap nittany beat my post by seconds.

I use wilco all the time... just not with a preceding roger.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
holding hands with.........with the flash...........aaaaaand........checking in.......

are your heads exploding yet?

Farva01

BKR
pilot

"Interrogative" - The English language already has perfectly good ways of conveying the interrogative tense. Saying "interrogative" as well just clobbers the radio and makes you sound like a tool.
"Be advised" - Ditto. If you must convey that information is critical but no immediate action is required, "heads up" sounds better.

When I was flying with the U-28's in Afghanistan "at this time" was verboten. If you said it, you had to chug a warm O'douls from the DfAC when you got back from the flight.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Flight, switch." Because there's doubt as to whether both of us are supposed to go to the new freq, or just me . . . :rolleyes:

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot

I'm so happy to read this. I was flying with an instructor the other day who used Interrogative... twice and I couldn't help thinking, "Shit, has ATC never heard my questions all this time? Way to go, CAT 1!"

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lots of this stuff - particularly interrogative - harkens back to the days of crappy HF radios. I've had to phonetically spell out entire sentences over HF before, which blows. In that context, an interrogative can make something easier to pull out of the static when you can only make out every other word. Modern U/VHF comms, not so much.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
My on-wing in advanced used "Interrogative" once, but it was because the ground controller was in training and was also an idiot. We were asking if the PAR was still out of service, and she gave us taxi instructions from the run-ups. Then when we clarified, she called it a "par," as in the golf term. Sighing and eye rolling ensued.