• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Left Handed Pilots? Haha

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Right handed. I have a kneeboard on the right for taking notes, holding MTF checksheets/gradesheets/approach plates, etc...and a velcro strap on my left leg for my MTF checklist. Doing MTFs in the left seat I often set the checklist on the floor to the left of the seat when not in use. Doing evaluations from the right seat I have it on my left knee so I can follow the MTP through the checklist.

HuggyU2

None
Interesting thread. Being "an Air Force guy" means I've never heard of a "KB"... but being a lefty, here's my solution for single-pilot-type aircraft with a G-suit.
- I put an elastic strap (about 1" wide) on both G-suit thighs. Our "chute shop" ("PR shop" in the Navy, right?) will sew them on for us.
-- Under the left thigh, I put my lineup card. Since we print them on a heavy cardstock, they are beefy enough that I don't need a kneeboard on the left.
-- For the right thigh, I use that strap to hold sectionals, enroute charts, plates, whatever.

As a lefty, it's nice for me since I can write with my left and fly with my right... not much need to jockey the throttles when I'm writing normally.
I worked with a guy who flew the Viper and Hog (as well as a Hornet exchange), and he mentioned that, as a right handed pilot, the Viper was a pain since he couldn't use his left hand to fly the side stick while he was writing. Probably makes taking 9-lines tougher, me thinks.

Overall... I'm glad I'm a Southpaw pilot.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Interesting thread. Being "an Air Force guy" means I've never heard of a "KB"... but being a lefty, here's my solution for single-pilot-type aircraft with a G-suit.
- I put an elastic strap (about 1" wide) on both G-suit thighs. Our "chute shop" ("PR shop" in the Navy, right?) will sew them on for us.
-- Under the left thigh, I put my lineup card. Since we print them on a heavy cardstock, they are beefy enough that I don't need a kneeboard on the left.
-- For the right thigh, I use that strap to hold sectionals, enroute charts, plates, whatever.

As a lefty, it's nice for me since I can write with my left and fly with my right... not much need to jockey the throttles when I'm writing normally.
I worked with a guy who flew the Viper and Hog (as well as a Hornet exchange), and he mentioned that, as a right handed pilot, the Viper was a pain since he couldn't use his left hand to fly the side stick while he was writing. Probably makes taking 9-lines tougher, me thinks.

Overall... I'm glad I'm a Southpaw pilot.

I hate to say it, but the air force has it right on this one. Printing admin cards on cardstock and putting them under a built-in left leg strap makes a ton of sense to me. We probably don't do it because cardstock is too expensive, and people would fuck up printing on the 1/2 sheets and waste all of it.

STOVLer

pilot
We use cardstock. And we fuck up the printing all the time. But I think its worth it the pain and extra time required to get the planning system to print the right way. Still need a kneeboard though, I just use one of the lighter ones ("9G"), and use a kneeboard strap on the other leg for everything else.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Alright here's the solution:

First, you're going to need three kneeboards as well as old worn-out velcro, a sweatband, a leather glove (with the middle and pinky fingertips cut off for dexterity and quicker thermal recognition from your fingers -- trust me motherfucker, that matters). Next, you'll need a washcloth soaked in turnip oil, a couple handfuls of cedar shavings, and a recent molting from an aging chameleon. After this, it's a simple matter of craftsmanship, patience, and a few tears/semen stains.

Take 2 of the kneeboards. Throw them away. Accidentally forget your third and last kneeboard in your nav bag behind you juuuuust far enough away where you can't reach it. Pretend you don't need one. Tell the other pilot or FO you never use one. Start looking for something to write on. The cover of the approach plates will do for now. Fuck, this is a long clearance. Take the controls and be too proud to give them back when you need to write. Tear the cover off the approach plate and tape it to the glare shield in front of you. Put the pencil in your mouth and go from there.

Also, I'm left handed and none of this has ever been a problem for me. YMMV.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Alright here's the solution:...

Take the controls and be too proud to give them back when you need to write.

I keep telling my WSOs to take the controls, and to date they have not once done it. The nerve...

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is hope for left handed pilots. Eventually you might be an Airbus captain and not only fly with your left hand, but also have a handy fold-down tray table in front of you for charts, lunch, or whatever.

Hopefully, you aren't as spastic as this guy in the video... but as you can see, the Airbus ignores such wild control input.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y4uHmvFbe7A

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So.... Do American jets call their pilots retards?
Only Airbus, on every landing, with that obnoxious French nasal accent: Retaaard.... retaaaaard......retaaaaard.
Like on landing we don't know enough to pull the fricken throttles back!!!
'Bout the only thing the 32 computers don't do for themselves.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor