• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Left Handed Pilots? Haha

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Unless you're doing something that's really product/note intensive (CAS, etc), I can't really see the need for two kneeboards. But that's just me.

jtmedli

pilot
Unless you're doing something that's really product/note intensive (CAS, etc), I can't really see the need for two kneeboards. But that's just me.

Yeah, the velcro strap thing will work just fine for 90% of what we have to do. I just did it 'cause I was too lazy to drive down to wings (before the NEX had them) and get the strap.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

I'm imagining you writing on both kneeboards at the exact same time.

Honestly, I can't see the point of two kneeboards. If it's instruments, the leg strap on the other leg works fine. After awhile I just started clipping the approach plate to my kneeboard and writing directly on the plate.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Rightie. Learned to write left handed (poorly) when I was in the left seat since our clipboard is up against the window. AC sits right seat, so I'm back to writing clearances legibly again.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I actually heard a conversation about this years ago in Cherry Point.

SAR pilot: "I was going to fly jets, but I'm left handed, so you know.....they wouldn't let me because of flying the ball."

Me: "Uh.......what? I've never heard of that."

SAR pilot: "It's true. Left handed people cannot fly jets."

Since then I have done extremely non-scientific surveys on this and have concluded that left handed pilots are actually OVER represented in the TACAIR community by a small percentage.

No idea why, but I would guess that since we're all learning how to do this essentially from scratch, we all figure out what to do with our dominate hand just fine on our own.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Know a few lefties and asked them the same questions. Like everyone, they trail and error their way to what works best for them.

Fwiw, I'm a rightie, kneeboard on the right always, plate strap on the left during instruments, otherwise stashed with my IFR pubs should we have to shoot an approach unexpectedly.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Dutch Rudder? That's a primary buddy's unofficial callsign.

And Jtmedli, that's intense. You can fly with that thing?

jtmedli

pilot
Yep, I actually liked it when I flew RIs in the T6. I have what they call "Chickenlegs" in the ghetto. Even with the speed jeans, it was the only thing that would stay on. :(

I bought one of the clear strap things for like $6 so I'm gonna try that out.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Righty here, I keep my kneeboard away from the center of the cockpit in the 57 (left leg for left seat, right leg for right seat.) Has more to do with ergonomics (cyclic impacting the kneeboard which then hits the pilot's collective, blocking range of travel) than anything else. I don't fly with a second kneeboard or approach strap - that's what copilots are for.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
NOTE: Kneeboards worn on the left seat pilot's left leg significantly increase the area of control interference and should not be worn on the left left if possible.

:(