• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lasik

FDX

It's mind games!
Just went to my one month post op doc appointment on monday and she said she had just recieved a letter from the navy saying that LASIK is now approved. I dont know if it is limited to certain communities or if it is true, but anyone heard anything. I guess it doesn't matter for me since i just had prk a month ago, but im always curious.

snake020

Contributor
Just went to my one month post op doc appointment on monday and she said she had just recieved a letter from the navy saying that LASIK is now approved. I dont know if it is limited to certain communities or if it is true, but anyone heard anything. I guess it doesn't matter for me since i just had prk a month ago, but im always curious.

I've heard rumors of LASIK being offered for non-aviator/diving jobs in DoD, but nothing about a policy change for flyers/divers.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
F-ing HOPE SO! (save my dumb ass a lot of cash, plus the mother is MUCH more amenable to it as a procedure vis PRK)

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
No reputable doctor will charge you more for PRK. Keep that in mind when choosing your surgeon.

This is true, my doc told me that the fee was identical for either procedure. His words were the only major differences in the procedure were the short term recovery and that PRK was safer to perform on people with thinner corneas.

I don't know what the status of LASIK is as far as NAMI or CNRC are concerned, but we do know that PRK has a thumbs up. I don't see any credible reason to prefer LASIK.

Viper 01

I am a Police Officer in the U.K. and I wear bi focal glasses (for reading and distance!) I will be having Lasik eye surgery at 17.30 on Wed 21/02/07.
I am a part of a pilot scheme paid for by the police where I will be having blended vision. My dominant right eye will be set for mid - distance and my left eye will be set for close - mid. It should mean no glasses, so fingers crossed.
Steve :)

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Just went to my one month post op doc appointment on monday and she said she had just recieved a letter from the navy saying that LASIK is now approved. I dont know if it is limited to certain communities or if it is true, but anyone heard anything.

Basically, LASIK is ok for anything that doesn't have a vision requirement. I think that's what she's referring to. An AT1 in my old squadron chose to get PRK through the Navy because he didn't want the flap, but he was given the option for get LASIK.

As far as I know, aviation, diving, SPECWAR and the like still only approve PRK.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Correct me if I'm wrong but it was my understanding that LASEK was approved by the Navy, not LASIK. When I had my PRK done (granted 4 years ago), if the docs had to go back in to either correct or simply re-do the procedure, they would perform LASEK. Again, not a doc here so please bare with my descriptions. With LASEK, the docs soften the lense of the eye with a fluid so that it can be moved aside for the laser then put back into place. The doc said that was done due to the lense being stonger after healing from PRK. Anway, maybe the Navy has okayed LASIK but for aviation?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Correct me if I'm wrong but it was my understanding that LASEK was approved by the Navy, not LASIK. When I had my PRK done (granted 4 years ago), if the docs had to go back in to either correct or simply re-do the procedure, they would perform LASEK. Again, not a doc here so please bare with my descriptions. With LASEK, the docs soften the lense of the eye with a fluid so that it can be moved aside for the laser then put back into place. The doc said that was done due to the lense being stonger after healing from PRK. Anway, maybe the Navy has okayed LASIK but for aviation?
I am pretty darn sure you are right. I have read it somewhere, and within a year or so.