• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LASIK, Naval Vision requirements, MEPS, and Eligibility

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Just be aware that even if N3M grants you a waiver, NAMI can still give you the whammy. In the NAMI waiver guide it says for LASIK that applicants must have less than pre-op 3.00 cylinder.

Spectre

Just be aware that even if N3M grants you a waiver, NAMI can still give you the whammy. In the NAMI waiver guide it says for LASIK that applicants must have less than pre-op 3.00 cylinder.

Thanks for that. Hopefully, this will all workout. I know that there is a risk, but I really want this.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't rule out NFO. You don't need the surgery it sounds like even to qualify for that (based on how I'm reading your stats). The nice part is once you get winged and in your shore tour (maybe even during your sea tour if you have some good timing and your command supports you) you can get LASIK done on the Navy's dime. I was almost as bad as you and the Navy gave me LASIK 4 weeks ago. It's been awesome.

Spectre

Don't rule out NFO. You don't need the surgery it sounds like even to qualify for that (based on how I'm reading your stats). The nice part is once you get winged and in your shore tour (maybe even during your sea tour if you have some good timing and your command supports you) you can get LASIK done on the Navy's dime. I was almost as bad as you and the Navy gave me LASIK 4 weeks ago. It's been awesome.

I'll definitely take that advice. As of now, I'll be applying for SWO and NFO. I don't know as much about the NFO pipeline after primary, though. Any advice, tips, info for if I go the NFO route?

I can imagine being able to see without any help is a big change. I'm jealous, but happy for you! Can you see 20/20 uncorrected, now?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The day after surgery I was 20/30 in one eye, 20/25 in the other and 20/20 in both 4 days later. As far as tips, look around the site and you'll see a lot about what we double anchor types do.

koliver

I just posted this in Medical Condition "bible" before I noticed this thread so sorry if you are reading this twice.

I just had an eye exam and was told that I am 20/70 and correctable to 20/20. I called my recruiter to ask if I should get lasik and she said that I should be fine if I am correctable to 20/20. She seemed pretty certain that it wouldn't be an issue for applying for SNA. She also told me to wait and see what MEPS has to say. Is this the right information? I am just looking for a second opinion because even if I am cleared by MEPS I do not want to have issues with NAMI once I am at OCS.