• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Language Suggestions

spartan03

I have an opening in my schedule for next year and I was thinking of picking up another language. I have studied Russian and French and am considering studying either Persian or Arabic.

I am going to PLC-combinded this summer and although I don't know all that much about intel, it is the MOS that interests me most. Both languages are interesting to me, any suggestions on which would be more practical to know? Obviously Arabic would come in use in Iraq but in light of the Iranian nuclear show down, is military intel looking for officers who speak Persian?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
spartan03 said:
I have an opening in my schedule for next year and I was thinking of picking up another language. I have studied Russian and French and am considering studying either Persian or Arabic.

I am going to PLC-combinded this summer and although I don't know all that much about intel, it is the MOS that interests me most. Both languages are interesting to me, any suggestions on which would be more practical to know? Obviously Arabic would come in use in Iraq but in light of the Iranian nuclear show down, is military intel looking for officers who speak Persian?
All of the middle eastern languages (Arabic, Farsi, Pashtun & others) are going to be in vogue as will the East Asian languages, but realistically, one year of study at a university is not going to give you any meaningful fluency, and the role of an Intel Officer isn't to be a translator, so if you insist on studying more languages, do it for personal reasons and not professional ones. I can't speak to the specifics of the Marines, but I can't imagine they do things too differently than the Navy. The vast majority of people who are involved in translating are enlisted types who have either been native speakers, or who go through DLI.

@Chief: Weren't you a CT of some type? I'm sure you could speak more intelligently on the subject than I.

Brett

HueyCobra8151

pilot
According to the TBS website, there was 1 hum-int slot and 4 sig-int slots for a Company of 157 graduates recently.

Take a language you are going to enjoy - you might not end up using it for the Corps in a professional capacity.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Brett327 said:
.. of some type? ...

Will have to plead the 5th on that!

Funny story. When NKoreans pirated the USS Pueblo, Sgt Chica, USMC was Korean linguist aboard the ship (as I recall spelling and individual). The Koreans were so non plused with his abilities to speak Korean, they sent him to school for almost the whole 11 months there were captives.

LoneSailor

Obviously right now any middle-eastern language would be good -- ofcourse, when you gain the skill be prepared to be deployed a lot. In the long run Mandarin would be a good language. By the way, OPNAVINST 7220.7E was updated to vers F. In the very near future it's possible to cap at $1000 per month for language pay, so try learning as many language as you can.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
The only problem with trying to learn lots of languages is the DLAP test, which you need to pass in order to even get the cash. It's not an easy test, and the required level of proficiency (for any language) is fairly high. If you speak just a little of several languages, I doubt that will be enough to actually pass the exam.

I wholeheartedly agree with Mandarin, but I'll go one step further and offer up that almost any East Asian language or dialect will be a marketable skill, either in the military or in the civilian world.

LoneSailor

I'm assuming you're reffering to the DLPT, which scores your reading and listening skills from a level of 1 to 3. The Navy requires that you score a 2/2 in order to be eligible for language pay.

Swmtb

Sneakin'
creepto said:
I'm assuming you're reffering to the DLPT, which scores your reading and listening skills from a level of 1 to 3. The Navy requires that you score a 2/2 in order to be eligible for language pay.

Does this apply no matter what your job in the Navy is? More specifically...would a SNFO get language pay?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
DLAB measures you general ability to learn a language.

DLPT measures you ability with a given language.

99% of the time you have to be in a billet that specifically requires language skills for language pay. So SNWhatevers usually do not apply.

twice

This is true the army used to pay me language pay while I was stationed in Germany as I speak German but with every 2nd a-hole able to speak a either German or Spanish in the military language pay is now slot specific.

Swmtb

Sneakin'
zab1001 said:
DLAB measures you general ability to learn a language.

DLPT measures you ability with a given language.

99% of the time you have to be in a billet that specifically requires language skills for language pay. So SNWhatevers usually do not apply.

That's what I figured. Oh well.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Yeah, I was getting at the DLPT, but my VITA-addled mind couldn't formulate the right sequence of key punches. Damn you VITA, damn you right to hell.

LoneSailor

Regarding eligibility of receiving pay, here's a little blip on the new OPNAVISNT 7220.7F

"a. The basic eligibility criterion for all FLPB recipients is demosntrated language ability via the DLPT or OPI in an approved language. Demonstrated language ability is characterized as the achievement of a score of Listening 2/Reading 2 or better on the DLPT or an overall score of 2 on an OPI. If a DLPT has only one modality for a particular language (i.e., listening only), that modality score will be used to determine FLPB entitlement.

b. The following additional eligibility requirement apply:

(1) FLPB A is paid to all career linguists, as defined in enclosure (2), regardless of language(s).

(2) In addition to career linguists, FLPB A is paid to any Sailor (officer, enlisted or midshipman) regardless of rank, rate, or billet, with a qualifying DLPT or OPI score on any language listed on the DOD or Navy Immediate Investment lists, except those identified as 'dominant in force.'"

So, 'SNWhatevers' will soon apply :) .

Career linguist basically means being an enlisted CTI holding a language NEC or an FOA (Foreign Area Officer) holding a 17xx designation. As stated above, 'dominant in force' i.e. Spanish, will not be eligible. The need for foreign languages in the military is becoming appearant, all the other services will require this heavily at some level. The air force is now considering that it's SNCO's learn a language.

Sorry I can't find a link right now for the OPNAVINST, I'm sure it can be found at NKO or Bupers, I just happen to have a hardcopy infront of me.

FLPB A are listed as 'Immediate investment' i.e Arabic-- it will be capped at $500 per month. FLPB B 'Strategic stronghold' capped @ $400. Lastly FLPB C are approved languages not on the Strategic language list i.e. Spanish, capped @ $300. One will be able to cap at $1000 per month for multiple languages.