• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Landing On Carriers

SemperApollo

Duh Chris. Sweep + high wing loading = more AOA than I should ever see at 400 feet. You'll have to forgive me. I look for connections where there are none sometimes.
Does the Prowler pitch with power changes? Remember reading about how the Crusader had that tendency...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Duh Chris. Sweep + high wing loading = more AOA than I should ever see at 400 feet. You'll have to forgive me. I look for connections where there are none sometimes.
Does the Prowler pitch with power changes? Remember reading about how the Crusader had that tendency...

Aren't you the guy who was trying to fly a break in a GA aircraft a few months back?

Brett

SemperApollo

Heck no. It took me 2 months just to get used to doing stalls at 3000 feet...and another month for my instructor to remove my death grip from the yoke.
I always thought on-speed was the term for Vref. When I learned power off approaches, it was idle abeam the numbers, flaps 10, and trim for Vref, hence the confusion.

MasterBates

Dumb question from a guy with less than 150 FW out of 2100+

Is landing on the backside of the powercurve BAD? SOP for helos, but have not flown FW since 2002, so I forget..

SemperApollo

Again I hit "post" before reading everything I write...
Don't worry Mefesto, my final approach speed is 60kts (Cessna 152) which is actually a tad faster than 1.3 Vso if we're light and using full flaps, but happens to be the best glide speed. I know Vref is used for faster/heavier aircraft who need to set the approach speed for every landing because weight can vary so much. From now on I'm just gonna say "Vspeed I land at" :)
Masterbates: Coming from a guy with roughly 40 hours total, landing on the backside of the powercurve is bad. Induced drag increases and in some cases there is not enough power to climb or even maintain level flight. I know little about helos and nothing about how they land. How do they do it on the backside of the curve?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Again I hit "post" before reading everything I write...
Don't worry Mefesto, my final approach speed is 60kts (Cessna 152) which is actually a tad faster than 1.3 Vso if we're light and using full flaps, but happens to be the best glide speed. I know Vref is used for faster/heavier aircraft who need to set the approach speed for every landing because weight can vary so much. From now on I'm just gonna say "Vspeed I land at" :)
Masterbates: Coming from a guy with roughly 40 hours total, landing on the backside of the powercurve is bad. Induced drag increases and in some cases there is not enough power to climb or even maintain level flight. I know little about helos and nothing about how they land. How do they do it on the backside of the curve?

Let's keep this thread about landing at the boat. If you want to talk helos, or GA, start another thread.

Brett