• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Landing On Carriers

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who does??

Better off working high, cause once you hit the burble you're going to feel a little sinking action regardless. Can't replicate that at the field.

My first day CQing... no burble. Second day? Decent burble. Huge differences.

HUDcripple

pilot
Who does??

Better off working high, cause once you hit the burble you're going to feel a little sinking action regardless. Can't replicate that at the field.

For all the impressionable youths out there...
High isn't a whole lot better, because to maintain a high you need a greater rate of descent, which makes you more likely to fly-through-down in close, which is tough to stop, especially in a max-trap aircraft.

High is better than low, centered and cresting is better than high.

However, never recenter a high-ball in close. Get it fixed early.

Back to the original question: I always thought the toughest approach was to San Clemente for night FCLP. Right-hand CCA pattern, strange altitude cross-checks (field is on top of a cliff), dark as heck, and usually a crosswind. Night CQ is easy after a few late nights at the Rock.

JustAGuy

pilot
I have to say the only time I use the VV is on a case III approach with winds that end up being starboard/axial at the deck.

My best passes during FCLP's are always the no-HUD passes. Shoot, if I ever have to do a standby approach I just turn off the HUD anyways and it makes it much easier. I guess it goes to show that the basics of meatball, line-up, and AOA have always, and remain the most important aspects to flying behind the boat;)

As far as doing it for the first time? I didn't have enough time to think about it, just did what we were taught to do, listened to the LSOs, and it worked out in the end.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
So yesterday I flew with a Reserve IP who happened to be an E2 driver. Enjoyable flight...came back and was doing homefield bounces as the wind built up a bit. Several good ones and a couple of passes a whisker off cernterline. In any case, we were talking about crosswind controls and he mentioned that when trapping the E2/C2 on the boat that there is only 3ft of lateral tolerance on landing between the wings and a hard piece of the ship!!!! WOW!!!! I had no idea it was that tight!:eek:

Better get the hang of this now while I have 160+ feet of lateral clearance!:D

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
For all the impressionable youths out there...
High isn't a whole lot better, because to maintain a high you need a greater rate of descent, which makes you more likely to fly-through-down in close, which is tough to stop, especially in a max-trap aircraft.

High is better than low, centered and cresting is better than high.

However, never recenter a high-ball in close. Get it fixed early.

Back to the original question: I always thought the toughest approach was to San Clemente for night FCLP. Right-hand CCA pattern, strange altitude cross-checks (field is on top of a cliff), dark as heck, and usually a crosswind. Night CQ is easy after a few late nights at the Rock.

Small pearls I have found is high balls lead to the ace, low balls lead to bolters in the rhino. If the ball isn't moving, it will be dropping soon so keeping it "energized" is the key to safe passes. And the five wet sucks behind the boat. Also, I saw a comment about the ACLS not being accurate. NOT TRUE. It is the most accurate other than the ball and if HAL is flying, he will hardly move the stick and throttle all the way to touch down. However, it doesn't apply during the day pattern. At night, I fly the "spermy" until in the middle and then start to focus more on the ball. No spermy, back to self contained approaches while referencing ICLS and meatball/lineup/AOA from about a mile in. This has worked for my 200+ traps (and counting).

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
I was reading about students practicing for landing on carriers with a painted runway and a meatball on the side.

Now, when you first get to the real thing that is moving and has a runway diagonal to the ship's heading....isn't that a little tough at first to land correctly?

From my experience, I hardly notice the movement of the ship because I'm riding the painted centerline like an inexpensive working girl (if you know what I mean) also the ship is moving 25 knots and I'm overtaking it at 140. You do make slight wing dips all the way down (much more obvious when the ship is chasing the wind and changing the Base Recovery Course every minute) but it is very similar to landing in a cross wind without crabbing into it.

Skeeterman

Banned
Hey, Gentlemen.. Where is this "boat" crap come in? In the U.S. Navy, it is know as a "ship". Ships are made of steel, boats are made of wood or fiberglass. At least we old Navy aviators called it that. And no Air Boss better not hear the word...boat from anyone.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey, Gentlemen.. Where is this "boat" crap come in? In the U.S. Navy, it is know as a "ship". Ships are made of steel, boats are made of wood or fiberglass. At least we old Navy aviators called it that. And no Air Boss better not hear the word...boat from anyone.

Parlance of the day, my friend. It's mostly to piss off the Shoes. ;)

Brett

SemperApollo

I tried an "on-speed" pattern the other day and landed better than when I do a power-on, constant decceleration pattern. Nailing Vref early let me concentrate on lineup and descent rate with minimal power corrections/slipping/cussing to get down faster/cussing to slow down/etc. But that's about all I can apply from what you guys do. If I don't flare to land, my instructor will make sure that I squat to pee from then on.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I tried an "on-speed" pattern the other day and landed better than when I do a power-on, constant decceleration pattern. Nailing Vref early let me concentrate on lineup and descent rate with minimal power corrections/slipping/cussing to get down faster/cussing to slow down/etc. But that's about all I can apply from what you guys do. If I don't flare to land, my instructor will make sure that I squat to pee from then on.

An "on speed" approach has more to do with attaining the right attitude so the hook can properly engage the wire. It's not going to do much for your GA landings. No flare = destroyed landing gear. I doubt your GA plane can handle a -1400 VSI landing.

Brett