• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kaneohe runway too short for P-8A?

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Growler louder than a Prowler eh? Both were bouncing in our FCLP pattern about a month back, and you could have fooled me. Do you Prowler guys walk the throttles or just use the saw method on both motors simultaneously, because it is the weirdest sounding jet in the groove that I have ever heard

This aspect seemed odd to me, too. Supers, for as loud as they can be, have always seemed just bit quieter than Prowlers to me.

Flugelman

Contributor
I know the A-6s at NUW were extra loud compared to other jets. Our hangar was at the approach end of runway 7 and when they departed, you KNEW it. I've always wondered if the slight down angle in the exhaust had anything to do with that?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Isn't it a product of their exhaust being angled out-board a few degrees, vice straight out the back? I DESPISE the sound of the Prowler (and this coming from a Harrier guy)!

Pags

N/A
pilot
Isn't it a product of their exhaust being angled out-board a few degrees, vice straight out the back? I DESPISE the sound of the Prowler (and this coming from a Harrier guy)!

They're also turbojets. Anyone who's been around a T-37 knows how loud turbojets can be.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Naaaaahhh ... it's just the J-52, i.e. a very, VERY LOUD engine. In all it's iterations (P-6, P-8, and P-408), it ALWAYS lived up to its billing as the "loudest engine on the flight deck", even when sitting beside a pair of J-79's ...

We always thought the exhaust noise about 'average', but the high-pitched intake noise level -- even at idle -- now that was enough to make you wince & your ears bleed.

"Early" A-6 exhaust configuration at full "droop":

ya2f1tiltingpipes.jpg

"Real" A-6 exhaust configuration:

dsc01911y.jpg

Image by A4sForever

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Naaaaahhh ... it's just the J-52, i.e. a very, VERY LOUD engine. In all it's iterations (P-6, P-8, and P-408), it ALWAYS lived up to its billing as the "loudest engine on the flight deck", even when sitting beside a pair of J-79's ...

We always thought the exhaust noise about 'average', but the high-pitched intake noise level -- even at idle -- now that was enough to make you wince & your ears bleed.

"Early" A-6 exhaust configuration at full "droop":

ya2f1tiltingpipes.jpg

Early experiment with thrust vectoring?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Kinda' ... it was something of an early STOL "experiment" ... never made it to the production birds.

As many problems as we had (have?) with cracked tailpipes in the Prowler I can't imagine how adding a few moving parts wouldn't make an utter mess.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
T-37s were ear-splitting VHF whiners. J-79s were loud but much deeper sound.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Growler louder than a Prowler eh? Both were bouncing in our FCLP pattern about a month back, and you could have fooled me. Do you Prowler guys walk the throttles or just use the saw method on both motors simultaneously, because it is the weirdest sounding jet in the groove that I have ever heard

I'll preface with I have heard a 18G on the cat, but after an F-14A at full blower on the cat, the EA-6B is the next loudest roar on the flighdeck.

81montedriver

pilot
At Cherry Point, along with the usual Harrier and Prowler traffic, we get alot of F-18 and F-15 Traffic. The Prowlers and F-18's are definately the loudest on takeoff. It's definately a close tie between the two in the air. On the ground, the award for loudest aircraft goes to the Harrier. Those engines produce such a high pitch whine it's rediculous!

Quietest aircraft in all aspects? KC-130 :)