• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just A Piece Of Cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddles

Skeeterman,

Ships don't intimidate me, unless I have to land on one at night, then I don't care what you call it. No disrespect to past. But things do change, and most JOs that fly off it in todays Navy know it as the "Boat." However, you are correct if I was in the company of said Boats Skipper I would be calling it a ship and asking if I could bag some more traps on his mighty ship, day traps that is.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
BTW, the night trap was an OK (TMPIC) (HAR) 3 wire on a full moon night. EA-6B. Every now and then, even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

just out of curiousity, would you mind decoding that LSO-talk for us wannabes?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK pass, A little too much power in-close, a little high at the ramp

Fred

Skeeterman,

Ships don't intimidate me, unless I have to land on one at night, then I don't care what you call it. No disrespect to past. But things do change, and most JOs that fly off it in todays Navy know it as the "Boat." However, you are correct if I was in the company of said Boats Skipper I would be calling it a ship and asking if I could bag some more traps on his mighty ship, day traps that is.

Of course the Boats Skipper is an aviator and probably calls it a boat too....at least in private.
:icon_smil

Death Rattler

pilot
Skeeterman is about 7-8 years older than me, but in my day everyone in the air wing (CAG 14) called it the "Boat"...I think it was to pi$$ off the blackshoes. One of the ring knockers in VF 141, "The Iron Angles", they flew that P.O.S. F3H Demon, refered to "the pointy end" and "the round end" of the "Boat" . Needless to say, the ships company were not amused. My squadron flew Crusaders, day fighters, I snuck aboard with a couple of "pinkeys" and logged night landings. The CAG (Tiny Granning) sent word to me if I logged another one, I`d be night qualified and he would put me on the night schedule. No more night landings , I went to the ward room and watched movies like a good day fighter pilot should.

Skeeterman

Banned
Hey, Death Rattler.. So you flew the "Tits Machine" (Crusader).. I didn't like the F-8. Too lumbering at the ramp. You know we had a name for those that hated night flying.. It was called "Weak Dicks"..
The best platform to fly was the F2H-2B Banshee.. The "Screaming Mama"s.. and my second best was. The "Scooter".. A-4 Skyhawk..

I don't recall "ever", hearing the word "boat" mentioned while aboard ships. At least, not during my 24 years..

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
Skeeterman-

Remember this debate occuring in my first Fleet squadron.....skipper we served under told us all to look at the carrier next time were established in the overhead stack and determine for ourselves if the thing looked like a "ship or a boat".

No doubt about it........carrier from overhead is too small to be considered a "ship"......sheesh, barely looked like a boat!

Fox Three........!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
popcorn.gif

Skeeterman

Banned
Death Rattler, First, I need to check out some body armor at the local National Guard armory, and dig out my old flight helmet to make sure it still fits. Go by the local Police station and get some pepper spray, and since the "banjo"s are cut up into pieces, can I arrive in my golf cart?

From the posts here by these young "whimper snappers", they would like a good recount of what it was like to be in a real combat mission.. Just think, they only read what it was like, not having been tested in a real "dogfight" with real MIGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.