• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

June Boards

SammieSam

Well got the call today. I am going to be seen in the June Boards. My Service Record came back yesterday. Fantastic!

Hey bates, how did you get a copy of your prior service record? I'm prior service and I feel like a dumbass for not knowing how to get a copy of my fitreps/evals

SWO406

pro-rec SWO
SWO, if that's what you really wanted to do then I'd be all over it...Navy is impossible to get an age waiver for non-priors, so if the Marines are needing pilots bad enough then you should really start working out hard for it. Depends on how bad you want it, but that may be your last shot at getting the pilot slot.

i would need to run 3 mi at no longer than 20 min, 20 pullups, and 100 crunches in 2 min. I could have done that easily 5 or 6 years ago, but at 27 i now feel like an old man when i go to the gym. that wont stop me from trying if i dont get picked up for SWO though... does anybody have any idea how much the ASTB factors into the selection criteria for SWO? not nearly as much as SNA or NFO of course but for my sake i hope they consider it.

adhermes

bumped again

Well, Like most of you I was told I would be on the May boards, and I got bumped to the June boards. I will be one of the first to be looked at, but here are my stats:

Going for BDCP: SWO/Supply (which met in may and i got a pro-no :(, and IW (which is done convening for fiscal year '09)

So my only chance is the SWO board meeting in may. Here's to hoping...no... praying.

Background:

GPA: 4.0, High Dean's List at arizona state university for 6 consecutive semesters
ASTB: 5/5/5 58 OAR
Professional Rec's: 1 USAF colonel, 1 USAF 2nd lieutenant, 2 college professors, 2 previous employers.
Job history: sales at The Sharper Image, door to door sales for Firstline Security, internship at Caterpillar, Inc., Statistical analyst and web page maintainer for Arizona State University- School of Global Studies; sales at Fry's Electronics for 1.5 years, Telemarketing/customer service for American Home Maintenance, and I now currently work as tech support for Apple.
Major: Psychology Minor: Family and human development
Grad date: May 2010

That pretty much sums me up. Very bummed I didn't get a pro-rec for Supply; I'm guessing its a lot harder to get into that than one may think. Good luck to everyone going for SWO in June! I really don't want to go up against the guy with a 68 9/9/9 though :(

blangman1

My package went up first week of May, I'm in for the June SNA/NFO/SWO board.

1st: SNA
2nd: NFO
3rd: SWO
School: Georgia State University
Degree: Public Policy
GPA: 2.64
ASTB: 56/7/7/7
LOR: 1 O-6 Army, 1 O-5 Navy pilot, 1 O-4 USAF pilot, 1 president of company
Extras: 4-year Cross-Country/Track scholarship at GSU, manager with 25 subordinates at employer for last 5 years, currently interning also at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, largest wealth management firm on the globe.

What I have going against me here is a DOR from 2-year NROTC scholarship. Board may look at that like blowing my first (only?) shot at a commission. In any case, I had a lot of maturing to do and feel I am better poised now to pursue this.

cjfessler

Final Select SNA
My package went up first week of May, I'm in for the June SNA/NFO/SWO board.

1st: SNA
2nd: NFO
3rd: SWO
School: Georgia State University
Degree: Public Policy
GPA: 2.64
ASTB: 56/7/7/7
LOR: 1 O-6 Army, 1 O-5 Navy pilot, 1 O-4 USAF pilot, 1 president of company
Extras: 4-year Cross-Country/Track scholarship at GSU, manager with 25 subordinates at employer for last 5 years, currently interning also at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, largest wealth management firm on the globe.

What I have going against me here is a DOR from 2-year NROTC scholarship. Board may look at that like blowing my first (only?) shot at a commission. In any case, I had a lot of maturing to do and feel I am better poised now to pursue this.

I DOR from a 4-year NROTC scholarship during my freshman year and I got picked up for SNA and SNFO last month. I think as long as you have shown that you have grown since then you should be ok

jl08

pilot
Hey bates, how did you get a copy of your prior service record? I'm prior service and I feel like a dumbass for not knowing how to get a copy of my fitreps/evals

Sammie,

How long have you been out? If it has not been too long you can call your last command and see if they still have a copy. My reserve center lost my record and when I called my last command they told me that they keep them for a year. Didn't do a whole lot of good for me but it might help you. Also, if you still have access to BUPERS they SHOULD be electronically backed up on it (if your admin dept did their job). As a last resort they are also micro phished at Big Navy but I have no idea how to request them, your recruiter should though. Hope this helps.

Jonathan

blangman1

First positive note I've heard regarding my DOR. As far as I'm concerned, I'm ahead of the game having already taken Nav-I, Nav-II, Engineering, Weapons Systems, Naval Leadership, and other course while in NROTC. Although I explained myself well in the app, the only word I've heard is that they may shun me as a quitter.

SammieSam

Sammie,

How long have you been out? If it has not been too long you can call your last command and see if they still have a copy. My reserve center lost my record and when I called my last command they told me that they keep them for a year. Didn't do a whole lot of good for me but it might help you. Also, if you still have access to BUPERS they SHOULD be electronically backed up on it (if your admin dept did their job). As a last resort they are also micro phished at Big Navy but I have no idea how to request them, your recruiter should though. Hope this helps.

Jonathan

Thanks for replying. I've been out for 3 years. My records at my last command are probably long gone. It was also a reserve unit so it's probably past long gone. Thanks again for the input. I'll contact my recruiter about it.

batesdl

SammieSam,

The best way is to go through your OR. The process still took 3 months and seemed like forever, but my OR got the complete SR. If you would like to do it yourself I have been told that you can drive or fly to the National Archives and get the record on site in St. Louis.

If you want to order the record yourself you can use the below link but can take up to 6 months.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html

Sammie, I would go through your OR if all possible.

I hope this helps.

Bates

batesdl

Thanks for replying. I've been out for 3 years. My records at my last command are probably long gone. It was also a reserve unit so it's probably past long gone. Thanks again for the input. I'll contact my recruiter about it.

Yea, I tried this as well but my command had decommisioned.

Bates

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
SWO, your GPA is not that bad...I think you have a really good application, so don't sweat it too much. Plus having the master's shows you have the dedication, commitment, etc. that they are looking for in an officer candidate - something most of us don't have (the master's, that is).

adhermes

Yeah SWO, your gpa and test scores outshine me. Sure, I have a good GPA, but I worked my ass off for that. And I'm going BDCP, so its harder for me to get in.

All in all, if you don't get in that's just not fair. I got denied from Supply even with my GPA and test scores. This thing is hard to get

SWO406

pro-rec SWO
Plus having the master's shows you have the dedication, commitment, etc. that they are looking for in an officer candidate - something most of us don't have (the master's, that is).

lets hope it's not that obvious that the reason i have a masters is that i dropped out of phd program...

anyway, good luck to all, hopefully my app will finally get seen this month, ive been waiting since january.