• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

June 2010 Boards

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Applied SNA. Didn't have to interview with any senior aviators. Although it might have helped that one of my letters of rec came from a pilot in the USAF.

Note: I applied regular SNA, not BDCP.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Note: I applied regular SNA, not BDCP.

I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. I am applying for the bdcp program, however. When in doubt, ask your OR. If nothing else, interviewing with a Naval aviator might help to put you over the top?

Chachi

pilot
Contributor
I had 7 LOR's as well. Come to think of it, each of them wrote something completely different about me. Whether their personal traits leaned toward character, accomplishments, responsibility, reliability, etc. affected how they wrote their letters. I think it helps give a more complete image of yourself.

I sent in 9 LOR's for the May Board:
- 3 mandatory previous employers (1 fulltime, 2 internships)
- Naval Postgraduate School Vice President and Dean of Research
- Lockheed Martin CEO (in Spain), Retired Navy O-5
- Retired Army O-5
- Retired Marine Corps Chaplain, O-3
- School Official, Vice-Dean
- Lufthansa Pilot

I don't see how having more LOR's could be bad. The more and the better the endorsers, the better for the applicant!
Good luck to you all!

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
I sent in 9 LOR's for the May Board:
- 3 mandatory previous employers (1 fulltime, 2 internships)
- Naval Postgraduate School Vice President and Dean of Research
- Lockheed Martin CEO (in Spain), Retired Navy O-5
- Retired Army O-5
- Retired Marine Corps Chaplain, O-3
- School Official, Vice-Dean
- Lufthansa Pilot
Good luck to you all!

I suppose my question would be, how well do all of these individuals know you? I mean, have you worked directly for them, family friends? I mean, without knowing you personally, how can they really vouch for your character, your leadership potential, etc . . .? I would say focus on finding QUALITY over QUANTITY.

Chachi

pilot
Contributor
I suppose my question would be, how well do all of these individuals know you? I mean, have you worked directly for them, family friends? I mean, without knowing you personally, how can they really vouch for your character, your leadership potential, etc . . .? I would say focus on finding QUALITY over QUANTITY.

Oh of course, there is no point in getting LOR's from people who do not know you. Besides, how could you ask for a LOR or who would be willing to write one for you if there has been no connection of any type? The goal should be to get as many LOR's as you can from quality people, those who know you well enough to give you a solid recommendation.

All of the LOR's that were written for me were from coworkers, employers, family friends and professional/business contacts. I didn't show up one day out of the blue and say: "Can you endorse me for an LOR?". Haha.. of course not.

Good point though.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Applying for the SNA position, i'm required to interview with two senior aviators, per my recruiter.

Not correct. You do not have to interview with two senior aviators. That is something your OR is wanting done because that is what they believe will help you out. It is not required to interview with anyone unless you are active duty.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Ahh, I am in the Army Reserve, perhaps that's why I'm being required to do the interviews.

james23

It may be overkill but if it helps my package it is worth it. Plus each person that wrote a letter, I know very well. All the letters take a unique approach in describing my traits which I think may be useful.

I agree, it won't be a bad thing especially if they talked only good about you. Also, hopefully that community college thing won't bring your app down. It seems very strong overall!

USAdefender

GO STATE!!!
Neither my recruiter nor my processor have mentioned anything about this. I'm going to finish up my paperwork on Tuesday, I'll ask them if they know any reason why this would be true.

Thanks for checking on that. My recruiter also told me to not apply for SNA or SNFO because "it's a fraternity," I guess meaning I don't belong there in his opinion.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Thanks for checking on that. My recruiter also told me to not apply for SNA or SNFO because "it's a fraternity," I guess meaning I don't belong there in his opinion.

UUMMMMM.... O.K.... If you don't want to apply then don't... Otherwise I believe that is some B.S.

Just my opinion...

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Don't take it the wrong way. I want to apply, my OR just won't let me apply for aviation.

I didn't take anything the wrong way. If you want to apply then put it on your package if you don't then don't that is all I'm getting at. He must be telling you not to apply for a reason but the choice is yours and yours only! Do what makes you happy.

USAdefender

GO STATE!!!
I didn't take anything the wrong way. If you want to apply then put it on your package if you don't then don't that is all I'm getting at. He must be telling you not to apply for a reason but the choice is yours and yours only! Do what makes you happy.

I do get what you're saying, but what do I do if he is the only OR in my area and refuses to put my app through? I mean he just flat out won't process it if I put aviation on my app. He told me he wouldn't.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
If I were you, I would ask for the reason. If you could get it from the OR in an e-mail, or writing, that would be even better. If the reason seems valid (i.e. you need to improve your test scores, or your background won't make you a good candidate, whatever. . .) then press it no further. If that doesn't work, you can always ask to speak with that person's supervisor. Utilizing the chain of command is something you'll have to familiarize yourself with eventually anyway.