• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

June 2010 Boards

WEGL12

VT-28
Well I will be the first to post for the June 2010 boards. I submitted my application today but have to wait for my transcripts so I will miss the May board deadline.
My Stats:
-20 year old male applying for BDCP
-Applying for 1) SNA 2) SNFO
-ASTB: 8/9/9 63
-Associates degree in engineering/ 3.72 GPA/ Dean’s List for 4 semesters (including this semester)/ Trident Technical College (60 credit hours completed)
-Transferring to Auburn University this upcoming fall/ Aerospace Engineering.
-200 hours of community service
-Work 40 hours a week at Patriots Point Naval Museum (including leadership and management opportunities)
-Also run a personal lawn business on the weekends
-Current member of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society (been a member for 3 semesters)
-Leadership positions in student government during high school (4 years)
-former National Honors Society member (2 years)
-Played sports throughout high school (4 years)
-LORS: 1. Retired O-7 (Naval aviator) 2. Active duty O-6 (Navy SWO) 3. Retired O-6 (Navy SWO) 4. Retired O-5 (Naval aviator) 5. Retired E-9 (Marine) 6. Current Supervisor 7. Executive Director of Patriots Point
-No criminal background
-Strong motivational statement
-Nominated and selected for the NROTC Tweedale scholarship at Auburn. But unfortunately due to NROTC budget reductions the scholarship was denied funding.
- Graduated in Spring of 2013

I feel like I have a competitive package but I also believe only having grades from a community college may be a major negative. Applying with three years remaining before graduation may also be a negative. I haven’t seen anyone get accepted into BDCP with a full three years left. But I rather apply early rather than late. All I can do now is wait and see what happens. The worse scenario is a non-select and just reapplying with new grades from Auburn in December 2010. I have nothing to lose. Best of luck to all.

Chachi

pilot
Contributor
All the best of luck! Definitely strong ASTB and GPA... that might be enough!

bwh06b

FS SNA
I am hoping to get my packet put together and submit it for the June 2010 boards, as well.

I am applying for 1. SNA 2. SNFO and 3. Supply

-Biochemistry major at Abilene Christian University in Abilene, TX. GPA of 3.53 overall here.
-Attended the Naval Academy from 2005-2006 and voluntarily separated for personal and family reasons. I was highly recommended for other commissioning programs upon separation at every level of exit interview which was conducted, all the way up to the Deputy Commandant of the Naval Academy. GPA of 2.59.
This leaves me with a cumulative GPA of 3.29.
-1330 SAT, 29 ACT
-Worked every semester in college but two.
-Played high school football for three years, was student council treasurer, member of Big Brothers Big Sisters for two years, Spanish National Honor Society for three years, National Honor Society for Three years.
-Proficient at Spanish.
-Studied abroad in South America. Also participated in ten weeks of medical missions in Guatemala, living with host families the whole time.
-Lots of college volunteer experience. 200+ hours.
-No criminal background.
-LORs: 1-Retired O-8
2-Retired O-6s
Multiple from previous employers
Two faculty members at my school
Two lifelong family friends
Previous state representative for 20+ years and family friend
Current state representative
Congressman

I am really hoping for SNA, but I don't know what my chances will be. I hope leaving the Naval Academy doesn't haunt me somehow. I am really hoping to do well on the ASTB, and I have just started studying. About how much time have you all been able to put in on a weekly basis? Do you think a little over a month is enough time to study?

WEGL12

VT-28
I am really hoping for SNA, but I don't know what my chances will be. I hope leaving the Naval Academy doesn't haunt me somehow. I am really hoping to do well on the ASTB, and I have just started studying. About how much time have you all been able to put in on a weekly basis? Do you think a little over a month is enough time to study?

I don't think leaving the Academy will have a negative impact on your package. The only thing negative on your package is the GPA from the Academy. You pulled your core GPA up so you should be fine. For the ASTB, I studied a little over a month. I felt thoroughly prepared for the test. This sight is very helpful in terms of study material so spend some time locating as much as possible.

A

AlexSmart

I was going for the May boards but I didn't get my medical waiver completed in time.

24/M/Non-prior
BA Government/Pre-Law, Eastern Washington University, 3.49 GPA, Dean's List
5 seasons experience NCAA Division 1 quarterback, All-Conference Academic Team 2007 and 2008

SNA/NFO
60 8/9/9 ASTB
2 LOR's from D1 head football coaches, Interview with Navy O-5

Have been working on my application since the first of the year and have been bogged down by petty sh!t... finally ready to submit this bad boy! Fingers crossed, good luck all.

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
I was trying to get my package out for the May boards, but looks like I'll be going June too. Good luck guys

A

AlexSmart

eh... not sure what the absolute correct gouge is on medical waivers is. My situation is I got PDQ'd from MEPS for alcohol. I had to do a psych eval, I told the pysch I did the usual drinking and partying back in college, and she told MEPS I was a problem. So I now have to jump through a few hoops to get cleared by the Senior Med Officer at the Naval Recruiting Command. Anyways, my OR said that this has to be resolved before the boards can see my package. I think that if you're waiver is PENDING and you have not yet been qualified/disqualified, you can send it to the boards to get a pro-rec. I would definitely get a straight answer from your OR ASAP.

Looks like I will end up applying at this board as well. Plan was to get things out for May board, but recruiter didn't sound like he had the packet sent out yet and it sounds like the deadline was yesterday?

Anyway:

SNA/SFO/SWO
7/8/8 63
3.14 GPA in Comms (Not a great Major but what can you do?)
LOR:
JRTOC Major teacher
HR Director at recent job
Regional Director of FAA in Alaska

I am a bit worried that my LOR are lacking, but what can I do? I have been meeting a lot of military members lately, but I would love to get another ranking member to recommend me. I saw someone mention an interview with an O-5; does that mean they have people come in to see what they are about and can potentially recommend them?

LOR are the only thing I am really concerned about.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Looks like I will end up applying at this board as well. Plan was to get things out for May board, but recruiter didn't sound like he had the packet sent out yet and it sounds like the deadline was yesterday?

Anyway:

7/8/8 63
3.14 GPA in Comms (Not a great Major but what can you do?)
LOR:
JRTOC Major teacher
HR Director at recent job
Regional Director of FAA in Alaska

I am a bit worried that my LOR are lacking, but what can I do? I have been meeting a lot of military members lately, but I would love to get another ranking member to recommend me. I saw someone mention an interview with an O-5; does that mean they have people come in to see what they are about and can potentially recommend them?

LOR are the only thing I am really concerned about.

What are your choices? To answer your question about the interview. Yes. Talk to your OR about possibly arranging for an interview with an officer and see if they can help you get one. Why would you be concerned with your LORs? Three is all you need and having a military member might be benefically it certainly isn't required. Many people have been selected without having a military LOR or interview.

I appreciate the quick response. I know that 3 is the minimum number, but I am of the mindset that, if possible, always do better than the minimum. If you recall, we had a similar discussion about my ASTB scores; you asked why I wanted to retake it.

It's all about getting myself a better shot. I'm sure the extra points help, even if it is just a little bit. Similarly, having an extra LOR from someone who works in a field similar to the one I am pursuing could only enhance my opportunity to be selected, at least in my mind.

After beginning this whole process and taking the necessary steps, I am realizing just how disappointed I would be if I wasn't selected. I try not to think about that and maintain a positive attitude, but it still crosses my mind now and again, "What can I do to increase my odds?!"

Again, thank you for the response. I will look into the interview option.

edit* With guys like AlexSmart and Citadel posting some top notch numbers as well as seemingly all around good candidacy, it just encourages me to want to do more. Speaking of, did you guys study like crazy for the test or what? I thought I did a decent amount of preparation (definitely could have done more), but pulling 8/9/9 seems like a great achievement.

Just got a couple of the test prep books. Made some note cards of the answers and quizzed myself with them.

Also, scrounged about on the internet for physics principles and such.

Ironically, I think I just got an easier test the second time around, or at least one that I was a bit more knowledgable of.