• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

July Boards 2010

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
Honestly, I didn't do anything special. All I did was send him a message and ask.

And so far he's been a great resource who responds to my inquiries within hours. Dunno how he does it, but I'm sufficiently amazed.

Lucy

That is awesome Seafort. I am working on getting my interview(s) arranged, but having to wait until I am back in the States (in France right now). How do you like Japan? My husband and I are hoping to mostly stay on the west coast/ 7th fleet area, so Japan is a real possibility for us when the time comes.

Seafort

I've been here two years, and I love it. My hope is that I can pick up 7th fleet myself and come back. I have the language skills, but I'm not sure how much that matters.

Lucy

I had two years in high school of Japanese and in truth prefer it to French but wasn't practical for my degree. Do you teach English at a Japanese school, or on a U.S. base?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I've been here two years, and I love it. My hope is that I can pick up 7th fleet myself and come back. I have the language skills, but I'm not sure how much that matters.

Make sure you take the DLAB tests when you can. They can go on your record, and help you earn some extra money every month.

Lucy

hey eas7888-
Do you know when those tests become available to take? I am wanting to take mine for French, mostly for documentation as I don't think I get paid for it unless assigned to the area.

And kansas eh? Talk about a fun place, got out when I was 15!

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I would recommend talking with your recruiter. The DLPT (Defense Language Proficiency Test) would be the one you would want. The recruiter should be able to set you up to take the test at MEPS. You may/may not be paid for your proficiency, but it's something that can go on your record.

Seafort

I teach English as a foreign language in the Japanese public school system. If I had no interest in becoming a Naval Officer, I wouldn't even leave. I love my job, it isn't going anywhere, and I know what steps I have to take for advancement. If I do not get selected for OCS, knock on wood, I already have a career. It's that stability that has allowed me to focus on internal growth and become someone worthy of being trusted with a commission.

tingler25

I guess I can post my stats here now since I was informed July would have the next SWO/IW and SWO/IP boards.
Non-select for IW in March 2010

Stats:
EM1(SW) (nuke)
30 years old
BS in Nuclear Engineering Tech
Thomas Edison State College
3.5 GPA
OAR 64, 9/7/8
Evals (newest 1st): EP MP MP EP EP EP
Awards: 5 NAM’s, 5 FLOC’s, 3GC’s ( 1 NAM and 1 FLOC in April)
PRT (newest 1st): EL, GH, GM
Interviews: O-6, O-5, 3 O-3’S
LOR: O-6
Extracurricular: Volunteer at local Foodbank and Community baseball team

bwh06b

FS SNA
I just got an e-mail from my recruiter this morning telling me that everything is on hold until they hear back with more guidance from Recruiting COmmand. He said he would pass down more information when he has it. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Is this all the way across the board or just for SNFO and SNA? If they come back and say that they're going to be on a freeze with both of those, I may have to consider another community. I am just anxious to be able to get in and start my service. While I'd love to fly, the most important thing to me in the end is going to be that I was able to be an officer in the Navy.

rhinoh82

I'm about 90% sure they do not offer any of the DLPT at MEPS. Even if they do, I'm not sure I'd use that time taking the test then, you have plenty of other stuff to focus on. However, I do know that they give you a whole briefing on it at OCS from a DLI (Defense Language Institute) representative. During this briefing they answer general questions about the DLI, when and where you can sign up to take the tests, and also drive home the fact that these tests are very difficult and that even native speakers usually do not score at the highest level. If I recall correctly they're 3 general categories of fluency. For lack of better words I'll just say they are fluent, very fluent, and expert. For obvious reasons, they are mainly interested in people that speak Arabic, Pashto, & Farsi. But they encourage anyone who has a language proficiency in anything other than English, to take the corresponding DLI test.

jlil41

So I found out today I was a non-select for the May boards. Round 2 in the July boards, lets see how it goes this time. And the waiting begins AGAIN...............