• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jets v Helos

milky-f18

loud-mouthed, know-it-all
Something that hasn't been mentioned about jets right now (especially true for the Navy side) is that if you go jets, you have a VERY high likelihood of making career goals. Guys in my YG (moved up to '99) will not have to do much more than make it through DH without pissing anybody off to make CO. Of course to not make DH, I think I would have to drunkly stumble out of my car that I drove through the front of the skipper's house, french kiss his wife, punch his dog, and kick him in the nuts. Well... at least be able to fog a mirror.

Right now to make O-5, you have to get your ticket punched as a DH (again, fog the mirror). So, even if you never get to be skipper, you will still retire with O-5 pay. The aviation side is where they make up their lack of O-5s in other communities, so now that we're leaving almost as fast as the other warfares, they are REALLY hurting for O-5s and O-6s.

I don't see retention getting a lot better, so it's likely that guys getting winged today will be in a similar situation unless something like 9/11 happens again.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It means efforts to recruit or religiously convert. Geesh...I thought you jet guys were supposed to be the smart ones...:icon_tong

FLY_USMC

pilot
Fly_USMC, I think you are a little brain washed and need to get over yourself, not everyone wants to be you or have your job.
I refuse to get over myself, everybody does want to be me and have my job, it's a conspiracy.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Same here. When I was in "A" School, all I wanted was S-3's (Jets for AW's). I got "stuck" with helos and I feel like that it was my good fortune that it turned out that way. Wouldn't change it if I could.

I just talked to an NROTC Commander on Friday who is a Marine aviator. He flew thousands of hours of fixed wing and then changed over to helo. He pointed out that whatever you end up lucky enough to fly, will always become to you, "the best ride the service offers." :icon_lol:

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Did he say why?

He did. He said that he didn't like having to wear the oxygen masks. And that when he started flying helo, he found it was quite fun operating a helo. He also said that he has gone on a number of fixed wing flights since changing, including in Blue Angel 3 last year, but that he is still not sorry he made the switch. More than that, I do not know.

S.O.B.

pilot
I just talked to an NROTC Commander on Friday who is a Marine aviator. He flew thousands of hours of fixed wing and then changed over to helo. He pointed out that whatever you end up lucky enough to fly, will always become to you, "the best ride the service offers." :icon_lol:

That sounds fishy. How do you just switch, especially after "thousands of hours?" Did he go through the HTs as an 04? I could be wrong but that would be the first I've ever heard of a transition such as that.