• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jets v Helos

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Luckily for you, there are a few VT-6 IP's here on AW...I'm one of them!!! A couple of things; I think it's good to set goals. I feel it gives you something to focus on. I have flown with many students and those who just want to make it through, are usually doing just that and average at best. Those with goals, say jets, usually are pretty locked on...I say usually but not always. Some of those locked on types didn't want jets by the way. A few wanted helo's but were certainly on their way to a 50NSS and above by their ability. Of course the majorit of primary pilots are helo and prop so it's limited as to your exposure (meaning getting good info) to the tactical jet pipeline. As luck would have it, there are two Marine F/A-18 drivers in the squadron, one of them being the XO. Just don't burn bridges, work hard and maybe if you have it, you'll get what you want.

Reactions: E5B

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Jets
Pros: Slick looking, and incredibly fast. You rack up a good amount of tactical jet time, especially if I want to be a NASA Shuttle pilot. Not technically multi-engine time, but fixed wing time, good for transitioning to the airlines or air parcel (maybe?). Possible transition to the JSF.
Cons: Fly in circles, burning holes in the sky waiting for that call to drop ordinance (probably my main downer). Longest training pipeline (not much of a concern to me). Single seat option (more boring?)

This whole paragraph is chock full of wrong statements and misconceptions. Quit listening to the helo propaganda.

It IS multi time. It's got two freakin engines. Don't confuse it with a centerline thrust limitation for your little Commercial Licence. Prowlers? Very much multi engine. You're not gonna be a shuttle pilot unless you go to TPS and get a masters either. The space shuttle is also going away in 2010, so scratch that dream off your wish list.

That flying circles thing? It's combat. Shit doesn't go down just because you show up over head with a couple of crows pleaser's. You're doing a lot on that 6.5 hour over Balad, even if you don't drop. The rest of the time you're flying back at the beach is training. There is no admin flying in the Hornet, you don't just go burn circles. Except on the rare case you go out as a raging single in which case you SHOULD be doing a 1v0 or AHC.

Single Seat? Boring? You've gotta be kidding me. That's all I'll say about that. I won't argue the benefits of having a back seater, the jealousy creeps in on occasion, but I'd personally rather have the gas and do everything myself.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
This whole paragraph is chock full of wrong statements and misconceptions. Quit listening to the helo propaganda.

He sounds at least partly sold on jets. I don't think he's a victim of helo "propaganda," if there is such a thing. The jet community is the focus of recruiting ads, movies, and vast press coverage, then some of its members complain that SNAs don't get the straight scoop because of too many helo bubbas in Primary. I think the jet community's head start in proselytyzing gives it plenty of recruiting power, so don't worry.

Like I said before, he should ask for whatever he wants. They're all good.

phrogpilot73

The jet community is the focus of recruiting ads, movies, and vast press coverage, then some of its members complain that SNAs don't get the straight scoop because of too many helo bubbas in Primary. I think the jet community's head start in proselytyzing gives it plenty of recruiting power, so don't worry.
I agree. After all the "Blue Bubbas" is only a funny movie they show you in South Field. The Blue Angels however, are very real.

I say work hard, put down what you want at the end of the day (even if it's because you think it will be cool), and let the USMC pick for you. Once you're told what you're doing, trust me - you'll love it. There is no bad airframe or mission in the Marine Corps. Period.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
He sounds at least partly sold on jets. I don't think he's a victim of helo "propaganda," if there is such a thing. The jet community is the focus of recruiting ads, movies, and vast press coverage, then some of its members complain that SNAs don't get the straight scoop because of too many helo bubbas in Primary. I think the jet community's head start in proselytyzing gives it plenty of recruiting power, so don't worry.

Like I said before, he should ask for whatever he wants. They're all good.
You saying there's no vast "rotary-wing" conspiracy? Everything's a rotary-wing conspiracy! :D

airwinger

pilot
(*thread jack*) I think airwarriors is moving back to it's original sense of community. A few short weeks ago a post such as this would have gotten "Are you retarded, wanting jets? you should want to be an officer first, wait till member 'ABCDE' sees this he'll really yell at you..."
That and the balanced posts in this thread are definitely a positive step. Hopefully we can keep it this way and bring back those that gave up on AW

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
+1

Dude, I got into primary thinking "F-18's look awesome..." but when I founf out my body hates G's and I'm more of a laid back guy... Helo's was a perfect fit and my top choice come selection time. Believe me, helicopters are a blast... but so is EVERY airframe.

Well, my body doesn't like G's, I'm almost 100% non-aggressive, and yet for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to ask for jets. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to fly a helicopter. It must be the most chill job in the world, like flying an ultralight or something. But then, I am a little attached to my ejection seat. That could suck pretty bad if your helicopter started to crash and there wasn't any magic handle to pull that would make it all better.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
(*thread jack*) I think airwarriors is moving back to it's original sense of community. A few short weeks ago a post such as this would have gotten "Are you retarded, wanting jets? you should want to be an officer first, wait till member 'ABCDE' sees this he'll really yell at you..."
That and the balanced posts in this thread are definitely a positive step. Hopefully we can keep it this way and bring back those that gave up on AW
You are missing subtleties here. The OP of this thread is in Primary, he's already an officer in flight school. The threads to which you refer are generally started by people who aren't even accepted to OCS.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to fly a helicopter. It must be the most chill job in the world, like flying an ultralight or something.
That's funny because that's what I always thought flying a hornet would be like. Just super chill with all those HUD, auto-throttle, couple approach thingies.

I am being facetious, of course. Just flying a helo is pretty relaxed just like flying a plane is pretty easy. It's all the other stuff we do with our helos and planes that are tough.

JTD

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to fly a helicopter. It must be the most chill job in the world.

What exactly strikes you as "chill" about flying a helicopter. That was the weirdest thought I've read in a while.

Pags

N/A
pilot
What exactly strikes you as "chill" about flying a helicopter. That was the weirdest thought I've read in a while.

Agreed. Not sure what Larbear meant with that comment. Don't think life is all skittles and beer if you fly helos...there are challenges wherever you end up in aviation.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

I don't think it was that. It was more along the line of 'I want to fly jets or nothing. It's my only reason for wanting to fly military. Helo's and props not for me' etc. Then the wannabes attempt to go into discussions about everything jets. Perhaps I'm exaggerating a bit but you get the jist. Having a goal, nothing wrong with that. I'll ask a stud what he/she wants to fly and some are hesitant, perhaps afraid I might hold it against them. I'm just curious and certainly not out to crush anyone's dreams. I judge them on performance alone.