• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jax Housing

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When going back through the FRS in Jax, I rented down in Fleming... I did not have any problems with 17 traffic. Just knew when not to try and drive up/down that road. For regular class days, or morning/afternoon wave, you are typically outside of traffic hours if you plan accordingly. If you wait too long in the morning though, you could be hosed trying to get up 17.

Machine has it on the money though, live across the bridge, and you are contra traffic.

Thanks Chief. My buddy and I are looking at Waterford @ Orange Park. Close to base (despite the traffic that I hear can be horrific at times) and very welcoming area. We're checkin it out next wk and if its g2g, we'll sign the lease. I see youre in VP-30 so I guess Ill be seeing you shortly. I'm part of the "test group" doing the 6wk advanced flight course, then Winging. Any gouge/advice u can give to this poor bastard O-1 would be gravy. Grazie.

Any questions you have about that program here shoot a pm and my husband can answer, he just got winged yesterday and was one of four doing the test program from P'Cola. He will tell you it was VERY easy, and laid back, much different then P'Cola. You will have a lot of time to check out the area, etc. P.S. That apt complex you are looking at, one of the girls in his class lives there and she likes it, and it MIGHT be a plus for you that you can walk to Hooters I think ;)

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
I live in Ponte Vedra Beach. With the new 9A connector open, it's a 35-40 minute drive to JAX and 15 minutes to Mayport, but it's low crime, a resort community, great beaches, and awesome schools if you have kids. Homes are pricey but apartments are plentiful. I prefer east of the river (actually, I prefer east of A1A); lots to do with St. John's Town Center open and the revitalization of JAX Beach and Atlantic Beach. It's great to spend the time after work walking/running/laying out on the beach, especially in summer.

MasterBates

With what ID said, the beach is nice if you have the $$$ and can live with the drive. I bought on the northside, becasuse anything near Mayport or Beaches (area known as "Intracoastal West") at the time Kernan Blvd or east of there was out of the price range of a SINK ENS w/ student loans.

If you want to buy, can deal with a 30-40 Minute drive, and don't have that much money, Oceanway/Northside can be good. Basically north of the river, north of 9A, and east of 95. Just built a new mall, 10 minutes from the airport.

Pretty much equidistant from NAS JAX and NS Mayport. About 20-25 to either, and 35 to Kings Bay Sub base or Cecil Field. Which, when the 60R comes online will be nice, as the RAG will be in Mayport, but 1/2 the squadrons will be at NAS JAX.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Mayport still has several areas that are affordable for an ensign looking for a single family house to buy, and will likely be a great investment. I know several real estate developers who have their eyes on Mayport since JAX Beach and the other beaches have already undergone the price surge.

Masterbates is correct about the other areas. It wasn't that long ago that no one in their right mind would live at the beach and commute to NAS JAX or NAS Cecil Field, and now those 'fools' are laughing all the way to the bank.

There are also great areas toward Middleburg and Green Cove Springs to the west of JAX that have some great deals. I just happen to personally like being by the beach and Intracoastal.