• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jax Housing

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
Any thoughts/advice on Jax housing would be fabulous. Areas to live, where not to live, etc.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
Make sure you do some searches since there have been several discussions regarding this.

I recommend east of the river since it's opposite traffic.

MasterBates

Assuming you are going to NAS JAX, but keep in mind NS Mayport (HSL-East) is ~40 miles away, but in the same city.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
while i was shopping for apartments, i ran through apartmentratings.com. It seems as though Jax has some pretty ghetto areas. And by ghetto I mean shootings, drug deals, etc. Can someone who is either at jax or used to live there give their thoughts on the city and places to stay away from? Muchos gracias.

OBTW, any thoughts on the Orange Park area? It would suck to get capped in my flight suit.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
while i was shopping for apartments, i ran through apartmentratings.com. It seems as though Jax has some pretty ghetto areas. And by ghetto I mean shootings, drug deals, etc. Can someone who is either at jax or used to live there give their thoughts on the city and places to stay away from? Muchos gracias.

OBTW, any thoughts on the Orange Park area? It would suck to get capped in my flight suit.

It can't have gotten that bad, especially after having lived in SOCAL. Sack up, my friend. ;)

Brett

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
The crime in Jacksonville seems to occure at random locations.

Yes, and stay away from Orange Park unless of course you like traffic. I recommend east side of the river. Southside/San Jose area. It may be farther distance wise but its quicker/easier due to it being opposite direction of traffic flow.

Stubby

Ask the Chief
There are some bad neighborhoods, but those are mostly downtown. I live about half an hour South of NAS Jax in the northern part of Middleburg. Yeah, I know it sounds kinda hillbilly, but it is actually a fast growing area and I love it here.

I actually have a 2500 sq. ft. four bedroom house (brand new, unlived in) in Lake Asbury (about 30-45 minutes from the base) for rent. Clay County, best schools in the area if you have kids. PM if you are interested, or I'm happy to answer general questions about the area.

If you don't have kids, the San Marco area is awesome-lots of culture. Ortega, I am not sure about, we live on the base for now but Ortega is just right off the base here and is hit and miss as far as ghetto and then really nice houses. We stopped at a gas station there and this lady told us she has been robbed multiple times. We like the area south of here on 17-Eagle Harbor, Fleming Island, etc. I would stay away from a whole lot that goes over Blanding. I am not an expert as we have just moved here, but we have children and will be looking at schools if we stay so that is why we need to go south into Clay Co. I have heard the Mandarin area is good also??

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
There are some bad neighborhoods, but those are mostly downtown. I live about half an hour South of NAS Jax in the northern part of Middleburg. Yeah, I know it sounds kinda hillbilly, but it is actually a fast growing area and I love it here.

I actually have a 2500 sq. ft. four bedroom house (brand new, unlived in) in Lake Asbury (about 30-45 minutes from the base) for rent. Clay County, best schools in the area if you have kids. PM if you are interested, or I'm happy to answer general questions about the area.

Thanks Chief. My buddy and I are looking at Waterford @ Orange Park. Close to base (despite the traffic that I hear can be horrific at times) and very welcoming area. We're checkin it out next wk and if its g2g, we'll sign the lease. I see youre in VP-30 so I guess Ill be seeing you shortly. I'm part of the "test group" doing the 6wk advanced flight course, then Winging. Any gouge/advice u can give to this poor bastard O-1 would be gravy. Grazie.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
My buddy and I are looking at Waterford @ Orange Park. Close to base (despite the traffic that I hear can be horrific at times) and very welcoming area. We're checkin it out next wk and if its g2g, we'll sign the lease.

Check out the traffic during rush hr before you sign so there aren't any surprises... More then one person has sung the praises of Orange Park while looking at places to live due to its closeness and convienience only to change their tune after sitting in traffic daily for several weeks...

Stubby

Ask the Chief
Any gouge/advice u can give to this poor bastard O-1 would be gravy. Grazie.
They'll take good care of you here Sir. My advice is take the training seriously, don't take yourself too seriously, and enjoy the school! I'll see you around the spaces.

If it is what I am thinking, Waterford is on Wells Road right next to the Orange Park Mall. It's close to the base and close to the freeway. Right where where Wells Road meets Blanding Blvd is the worst traffic in the area. But if you avoid Blanding (which is not on your way to work) you should be golden.

Stubby

Ask the Chief
Oops..... did I mis-gender you? Sorry, going by the pic and was thinking "grazie" might be a name... sorry, my Italian sux!

1rotorhead

pilot
You might want to consider the avondale area. Simialr to San Marco but closer to the base. Almost not traffic to work and a lot more culture. Is a bit more pricey than the other places mentioned.