• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

January 09 Boards

maijanka

PRO REC SNA
Hey guys,

Once again congrats to everyone who made it! For you east coasters hang in there.

A quick question I was hoping some of you experienced guys could shed some light on for me...
Receiving my pro-rec has now put me in a bit of a sticky situation. I am currently employed and my employer has no idea that I am planning on jetting (pun intended). As I'm sure you know the background check requires that my current employer be contacted. The thing is I am trying to hold out on telling them as long as possible for financial reasons and also I have not passed MEPS yet, let alone gotten a final select. I am not concerned about telling my employer, it is more about timeing because I don't want them to get contated, get pissed, and then find out I'm NPQ'd.

My question is, has anyone been through this before and if so how did they handle it? Are there any ways to find out approx when current employers will be contacted? Any insight into this would be much appreciated. All I can seem to get out of my recruiter is that it is out of his hands.

Thanks in advance for your help!

(sorry for the book of a question)

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Hey guys,

Once again congrats to everyone who made it! For you east coasters hang in there.

A quick question I was hoping some of you experienced guys could shed some light on for me...
Receiving my pro-rec has now put me in a bit of a sticky situation. I am currently employed and my employer has no idea that I am planning on jetting (pun intended). As I'm sure you know the background check requires that my current employer be contacted. The thing is I am trying to hold out on telling them as long as possible for financial reasons and also I have not passed MEPS yet, let alone gotten a final select. I am not concerned about telling my employer, it is more about timeing because I don't want them to get contated, get pissed, and then find out I'm NPQ'd.

My question is, has anyone been through this before and if so how did they handle it? Are there any ways to find out approx when current employers will be contacted? Any insight into this would be much appreciated. All I can seem to get out of my recruiter is that it is out of his hands.

Thanks in advance for your help!

(sorry for the book of a question)

Why would they get pissed? Most employers that I've run across would be very understanding of the situation. And if they aren't they can't fire you for that. Give them a heads up on your plans so they can start looking around for a replacement. Then if all goes well they're prepared for when you leave. If things don't work out for you then they get to keep you. Simple.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot

I agree with Lazers, if you're a good employee you are not gonna get fired and they would/should wish the best for you. This was a dream of mine..and just from working for my employer for over three years, thru casual conversation my boss knew this was what I always wanted to do.

Let them know you got accepted...tell them the circumstance (you're still in limbo awaiting medical and security clearance) and that you will continue to work hard and that you won't start shutting down at work because you know you have a new career on the horizon.

You're about to do something noble and for our country, this isn't like you're leaving Initek for Inertrode. (Office Space..if you didn't catch the joke) ;)

I agree with OU your employer shouldn't have a problem as long as you tell them in advance. I doubt anyone will have a problem with you leaving to go serve our country so they can keep doing what they do.

Charity

Final Select SNA
I'm also hesitant to tell my employer, but I don't think they would let me go early. I think it would take them a few months to find a replacement. It took them 3 months to hire me.

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
I agree with OU your employer shouldn't have a problem as long as you tell them in advance. I doubt anyone will have a problem with you leaving to go serve our country so they can keep doing what they do.
Well...
I worked at Golden Corral as a dishwasher (worst job I ever had) before I enlisted in the Marines. When I told them that I enlisted, my working hours "magically" became less and less. When I asked them about this, they said that they were going to have to let me go due to budget constraints. Budget constraints my a$$!
It didn't crush my little world to not be able to work there anymore, but I'm just saying...you're employer can have a problem with it. They like to express it in their own special way.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
non-select SWO. Not giving up.

Man that's tough news. Keep your chin up...I'm 26 and I went through failing out of school , losing any hopes of an NROTC scholarship...to becoming a career college student so I could get my grades up. (I had 8 F's on my transcript).

Beat the SHIT out of the ASTB (This will make a huge difference) and look over your app with a fine toothed comb, sometimes it's the little things that get you. Keep your resubmittal letter short and to the point of why they MUST select you.

Don't give up man...you'll be rewarded for your hard work.

If you have any questions on stuff along the line (while I'm still here of course) I'll be more than happy to assist where I can.

Good luck.

Res784

I'm gonna harmonize with OUSOONER and say to keep at it until you get it right. I also had a number of Fs on my record as well...Went from a super low GPA to a 3.5 and graduating with honors. In addition to that, I had FOUR retired military men (all professors) write great letters for me, vouching for my academics.

To everyone else that is weary of breaking the news to your employers, don't sweat it. They should fully understand the career you've been offered and understand your desire. Taking a job over at the McDonalds down the street is a different story :) If your superior gives you shit, well, then maybe he's not the right one to be workin' for...really.

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
Gillie, keep your head up. I applied for AF-OTS before Navy and did not receive selection. My TBAS wasn't too great and they said I needed 63 flight hours in order to bump it up to apply for their October selection board. I began flying July 8th and had my 63 hours by the last week in August like I was instructed to. I work a very demanding job, full time, and about died doing the flying and ground school. Nevertheless, it was worth it. I had an amazing flight instructor and received my PPL.

If you want it, make it happen. It cost me 13k I had saved to pay off my car, but it is an investment in the rest of my life. :) And it finally looks like it's paying off!! Press on.

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
I just read over the last two pages, I had no idea this many had been selected. Yesterday, when I found out, I was actually woken from a nap...I posted while very groggy and thought I was one of the first to have found out. haha Congrats, again! I'll definitely have a Shiner for you guys later. If you haven't had a Shiner, I suggest you have one. Anyone else like Guinness?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I just read over the last two pages, I had no idea this many had been selected. Yesterday, when I found out, I was actually woken from a nap...I posted while very groggy and thought I was one of the first to have found out. haha Congrats, again! I'll definitely have a Shiner for you guys later. If you haven't had a Shiner, I suggest you have one. Anyone else like Guinness?

I like a Red Stripe now and then..but while I'm working on my figure, I stick to Bud Light. ;)

I feel so much better now that the anxiety of having to wait is over...now I can't wait to get started.

DFSpence

I feel so much better now that the anxiety of having to wait is over...now I can't wait to get started.

To what degree does getting pro-rec'ed SNA mean that I will end up getting SNA final select? I know that I still have to submit my physical and get the security clearance, but how much of a formality are those things? I got my physical at Corpus Christi NAS last October and spoke with the flight surgeon down there and he said I'm good to go as far as he is concerned. Plus I don't have a police record. I don't want to tell my friends I got selected to be a pilot and then find out two weeks later that its not going to happen for some reason.

I know this is a question my recruiter could answer but I can't wait until Monday! Any thoughts?