• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

January 010 Boards!!!

NAVYBM2

Contributor
Depth Perception

MEPS is hilarious. Be sure not to let the "medical equipment operators" (as I like to call them) rush you through anything. Fully understand what is exected of you on each test, particularly for vision. I failed the depth perception test the first time like many others here have. I Met with an opthalmologist the next morning for a full eye exam... no problems. They will be pushing you through quickly, and they will not be behaving in a way that considers how important any one exam is for your future. Fully understand each test before you start, and take charge as necessary.

Absolutely agree!
I too failed the depth perception and had a private exam! As far as I understand only about 40% of that people at MEPS pass that exam. So if someone here fails, don't freak out like I did. I couldn't sleep for about a week, then I met with the doc. and all was well. You can get a waiver for failing it at MEPS, however there will be another exam at OCS. My doctor advised me to train for it, yes you can train for the depth perception test! Go to a local book store and pick up a book called the Magic Eye, it has a lot of those pictures that you can see after a while in 3D. Look at it every day, it is good brain and eye stimulation, so that way when the exam comes you know exactly what to do with your eye. It is important because I got rushed through it and failed with flying colors. I mean I could even see the ones that she was pointing out.

Good Luck to all!!!

I know this is late, but I just joined: Pro-rec NFO from the Jan boards (submitted my packet before Thanksgiving). 25m, non-prior.

And MEPS really was hilarious... nothing like duck-walking in your boxers. I did mine at Ft. Sam Houston here in San Antonio; out of 90+ people, there were only two other people applying for an officer program (all branches).

FLYnotCFI

For those of you who have been to MEPs.. Many of my enlisted buddies say its a long, two day event. Does an officer candidate get any priority over the lines and what not? My buddies said they saw officer guys get bumped to the front, but I've heard mixed reviews.. Not that it's a big deal or anything, I'm just curious.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
For those of you who have been to MEPs.. Many of my enlisted buddies say its a long, two day event. Does an officer candidate get any priority over the lines and what not? My buddies said they saw officer guys get bumped to the front, but I've heard mixed reviews.. Not that it's a big deal or anything, I'm just curious.

NO, you get no LOVE for being an OC! After all we are just OCs! Also, as prior enlisted (NAVY), I don't think it would be appropriate at any point of our careers to expect priority. Although, the military is set up in such a way that an officer gets better treatment, but it should not be expected or demanded for that matter. It sends the wrong message, if you get my drift here! :)

When I went through the medical exam, officer applicants were bumped ahead of enlisted applicants. My recruiter told me to dress up, which did make it easier for the staff to identify me.

There's still plenty of waiting, though, because all females went first before the groups were split. The second girl in line refused to take the breathalyzer test and left!

Tomodachi

pilot
When I went through MEPS in Jacksonville as a soon-to-b enlisted guy none of the other guys had rank above me or vice-versa. We all had alot of things to knock out, whether it be blood work, eye check, hearing test, ect... Everyone jumped in line and was pushed through the process very quickly, never did I give up my spot in line to someone because he said he was going to officer school.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
The most important part of the eye exam is to stay hydrated. I passed it the first time at MEPS, OCS, and in API... You will have little sleep and you will be stressed those first couple of days at ocs. Hydration is the key for those tests, not really magic books. Depth perception is something you have or you don't...it's not a perishable skill. I never looked at one of those. But prior to meps I got a good nights sleep and drank tons of water. At ocs the night before medical day I drank like 3 canteens of water just before I went to bed.

Hydration is the key theme here obviously and lack of it can significantly impair your vision.

mbraesicke

Ranger
Hah, I went to MEPS at Ft Sam Houston in San Antonio as well, about 2 weeks ago. It was the same deal. About 50-60 for enlisted and 3 for officer. It went pretty quick, the only leeway I got was with taking my pulse and BP. An enlisted guy ahead of me got a pulse of 120 so they sent him to get an EKG, and he ended up having to get a waiver and alot of other BS that delayed him quite a bit. For me they said that could hurt my commission and they didn't want to delay it that much so they took my pulse and BP a grand total of about 8 times before it was passable. And for the depth perception the guy gave me ALOT of leeway as well.

visual_scan

Another important point to keep in mind is that there are 3 different depth perception tests out there that NAMI approves... you only have to pass one. The MEPS I attended only used the AFVT.

From the NAMI waiver guide:

Depth Perception​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Only stereopsis is tested. Must pass any one of the following three tests:
(1) AFVT: at least A ? D with no misses.
(2) Stereo booklet (Titmus Fly or Randot): 40 arc second circles.

(3) Verhoeff: 8/8 corrent on the first trial or, if any are missed, 16/16 correct on the combined second and third trials.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

NAVYBM2

Contributor
The most important part of the eye exam is to stay hydrated. I passed it the first time at MEPS, OCS, and in API... You will have little sleep and you will be stressed those first couple of days at ocs. Hydration is the key for those tests, not really magic books. Depth perception is something you have or you don't...it's not a perishable skill. I never looked at one of those. But prior to meps I got a good nights sleep and drank tons of water. At ocs the night before medical day I drank like 3 canteens of water just before I went to bed.

Hydration is the key theme here obviously and lack of it can significantly impair your vision.

HAHA, now you sound like my RDC at boot camp. He always used to say that hydration is the key to everything. He was right I guess! I really don't know if these Magic Eye books will help, but that is what my doctor said. I know nothing about eyes and this was my first full eye exam ever, so I don't want to try and mislead anybody, I am just sharing my experience.
I will for sure be hydrated for the next one!

visual_scan

NAVY BM2, you are right to an extent. Depth is preceived when each eye maintains a parallel line of sight with each other, rather than focusing on a given object, which causes the lines to converge at that point. We think of this as "looking through the object," which is exactly what you have to do in order to see a magic eye.

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
The MEPS test sucks plain and simple. I have never seen a Magic Eye in my life but I could see the Randot test which is what NAMI uses as well as civilian docs.

adamshahan

I got bumped up in line for being an OC. They gave me a sticker to put on my chest that said 10:30am which meant I could butt in line. Everyone else that's there stays all day then has their swearing in ceremony. Make sure you tell them you are an OC and you will not being staying all day and they will rush you through.

I had a similar experience getting my blood drawn. I could almost swear she didn't change her gloves from the last guy. She poked me, started moving my arm back and forth very hard and then threw a band-aid on me two inches away from where it needed to go and pushed me out the door.

I'll never forget when the doctor said bend over and spread your cheeks.