• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iwo Jima WW2

BlkPny

pilot
Since you're good with this ... a question:

I always thought Japanese to Engrish :) "transliterations" had to end in a vowel ... i.e., Toky"O" ... Osak"A" .... Kansa"I" ... and so on. Everything I've ever read or seen from the Japanese in ended in a vowel in the English.

So how does the navigation waypoint "GOBOH" (about halfway from Osaka to Kagoshima) sneak in there .... hmmmmmmmmm - "O" ??? :)

Actually, I believe "Goboh" is a transliteration for "Joboy", a Japanese National hero.

jdnew

I thought that the majority of the japanese alphabet was either a vowel or a consonant paired with a vowel.
a, i, u, e, o, are the base vowels and the rest of the alphabet is those vowels paired with a consonant. ka ki ku ke ko..etc. of course you have exceptions like with (s) sa, shi, su, se, so, but for the most part you dont see many consants beside one another. Japanese was my foriegn language in college, but I don't remember a whole lot of it.

BeanFighter

pilot
The deal with the "h" after an "o" to signify a long vowel comes from a modified Hepburn romanization sometimes refered to as "passport Hepburn".

Skippy

Now with 27% less bullshit.
Translate this...

attachment.php

HAHAHAHA, That would read "Baka Gaijin" -- stupid foreigner(s). The Japanese Naval Ensign in the background just sells it. If that were on a t-shirt, I would wear that through Shibuya station and see how many people laughed at me when I pretended I didn't know what it meant.

Since BlkPny brought it up, you might find some nice cases of translation gone wrong at engrish.com.

RedDog

Agreed!!!!

feddoc.....from just looking at the photo, I can assure you that WalMart sells lighter fluid and lighters that can solve that problem.......

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
As a side note, among the upsides of FDNF tours is the chance to volunteer to assist on some of these recovery missions.

brownshoe

Contributor
Ron,

Some really great photos there. Thanks for posting.

Steve

(Too cold for fishing? My ass! Get up here from the Keys and help us dig out! :) I'm sorry to hear about Debbie's hip problems. I hope all goes well.)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Great photos. I've likely posted this before, but my dad was an AMS in a Navy PB4Y2 (Privateer) squadron that was part of "McArthur's Navy" and which operated alongside AAF squadrons from New Guinea, to Morotai & on to the Philippines (not Iwo). He always maintained that the AAF, if given enough gas, would crash every plane they had in a matter of weeks. I still have pics of him sitting in P-51 cockpits & standing beside B-24s, B-25s & other AAF planes. Typically, in the land bases they flew from, the AAF was on one side of the field & the Navy squadrons on the other.