• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iwo Jima WW2

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Japan changes Iwo Jima to Iwo To

Iwo Jima was originally Iwo To, but was mistakenly called Iwo Jima during World War II and the name stuck....until now and the Japanese have decided to revert to the earlier name.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Iwo Jima was originally Iwo To, but was mistakenly called Iwo Jima during World War II and the name stuck....until now and the Japanese have decided to revert to the earlier name.
Sorry, no dice. They brought it on themselves. They're lucky it wasn't called Devil's Hellhole or something else. Iwo Jima is it.

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
The U.S. Navy still uses an airstrip on the island to train pilots who operate from aircraft carriers.

Is there any truth to this, the last sentence in the article? I've heard of Marines from a VMFA squadron landing at Iwo Jima to visit, and those stationed in Okinawa going as an MWR trip, but not for purely training purposes.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah dude, FCLPs. The problem arises though with the fact there's no alternate and so there weather has to be greater than 3000 and 3 just to go. Of course, it's nice to talk on the phone with the AG1 rather than the AG3 to get that "3000 and 3."

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

It's their island, its not like it is going to change history.......

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Is anyone who has been to Japan and hung around Japanese people surprised? I mean, it's just par for the course. Not trying to bag on the country or its citizens, but they do have a habit of being extremely nonconfrontational when it comes to their past history. Hell, even if you ask for coffee when there isn't any, they'll still say something like, "Coffee would be difficult right now," rather than admit that they didn't have any. It's just the way their culture is. They would much rather forget all that WW2 unpleasantness than have to talk about it, which is part of the reason many countries in Asia still despise them.

BigRed389

None
Putting aside perspectives on Japanese culture, I agree with Flash...it doesn't change history, and notice it's the local residents who asked for the change.

It's like if we decided to use Long Island as a defensive position during a "Red Dawn" scenario, except we ended up calling it Pong Island b/c some joker screwed up when typing it up on maps.

Obviously the Long Islanders wouldn't be too happy about coming back to live on Pong Island.

Also note the Japanese veterans of Iwo Jima aren't exactly enthusiastic about the change either.

Huggy Bear

pilot
Putting aside perspectives on Japanese culture, I agree with Flash...it doesn't change history, and notice it's the local residents who asked for the change.

It's like if we decided to use Long Island as a defensive position during a "Red Dawn" scenario, except we ended up calling it Pong Island b/c some joker screwed up when typing it up on maps.

Obviously the Long Islanders wouldn't be too happy about coming back to live on Pong Island.

Also note the Japanese veterans of Iwo Jima aren't exactly enthusiastic about the change either.

All 8 of them?