• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is this rumor going around?

kejo

pilot
I just talked to a recent HT winger and he was under the impression that SERE West was shut down because of the fall wildfires...still. Apparently a few other people over there had the same idea. I can definitely tell you that SERE West is open for business, so you can expect to go if you need to go.

Can anyone else verify that this rumor is going around?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Haven't heard that rumor but we classed up without going, guess we'll be going on the backend of the rag. Most dudes I've talked to out here have similar situations.

kejo

pilot
Yeah I went after too. I know the rumor mill can be silly and vicious, but this one needed to be quashed.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Well, I just finished up SERE west as of 02/22. The did have some problems last fall (~ nov, I believe). The people who have to repeat it will just get it on the back end of the RAG. As to the rumor, it's false.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can anyone else verify that this rumor is going around?

I can with 100% absolute certainty assure you that this rumor is indeed going around.
As to it's veracity??? :confused:

Navy rumors: pass every one along expeditiously, believe none of them.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
REPEAT SERE???? Good lord, that's horrible! :eek:

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Why would anybody have to repeat SERE? That sounds like a BS rumor to me.

I guess if you failed to complete it, they might send you back (doubtful), but that isn't really "repeating" it.

If they want me to repeat it, they better bring a small army of folks to help me get on the plane. No f-ing thanks.

phrogpilot73

If they want me to repeat it, they better bring a small army of folks to help me get on the plane. No f-ing thanks.
I personally am going to get my FASOTRAGUPAC certificate tattooed on my ass, so if some one tries to make me repeat it - I'm going to bend over and show them what I think of that idea...

IrishNavy05

pilot
Contributor
Why would anybody have to repeat SERE? That sounds like a BS rumor to me.

I guess if you failed to complete it, they might send you back (doubtful), but that isn't really "repeating" it.

My roommate was one of the wildfire evacuees. They were evacuated after being out in the wilderness, but they had not yet been "captured." Apparently being captured is the point where you are deemed "complete", but since they never saw the camp, they have to do it over again. Enough said on that subject.

And west coast SERE is definitely open for business, I know people that just got back.

phrogpilot73

My roommate was one of the wildfire evacuees. They were evacuated after being out in the wilderness, but they had not yet been "captured." Apparently being captured is the point where you are deemed "complete", but since they never saw the camp, they have to do it over again. Enough said on that subject.
You mean that I was complete the minute I was captured? I wasted my time in the camp? I think you mean that getting captured and experiencing the camp is what deems you complete.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Repeating the camping portion, while maybe inconvenient, is nothing compared to the thought of repeating the camp portion. Did anything burn in their area? It would be a shame to try to evade when all the cover has been burned to the ground. There'd be nothing to eat either.

As far as when you are "complete", keep in mind you DO get graded on your performance in the camp. The Navy is not one to think that just sending you to the school is enough. I'm sure if you fail to buy into the situation enough and play along, you'll get to do it over.