• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is application competitive (revised title)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapergm

GTodd - we are all bugging out. My starts are like yours. Ill tell you how you look after I find out from the board how I look!

Praying to get in 184

craig0330

Osprey Candidate
TKDCHAMP, I'm not doubting your skills, but 23 Varsity letters. What kinda crack are you boys smoking up there in MI. You should change your user name to Captain America.

perchul

I don't know how much the Selection Board actually looks into High School sports, I'm sure it will count for something. I think College Sports would have more weight though

Tolerance only benefits the weak

DaGunz

GTodd. I can't speak to you about being an aviator because I am not one. However, having past recruiting, OSA, and 20 years Marine experience I can tell you that you have a "fair" chance. Your PFT is solid! The Marine Corps holds physical fitness on a pedistal! Some questions the board may ask. Is your GPA average because of too many activities? Activities page could use some beefing up. Why did you wait so long to apply? Late bloomer? Nothing else out there? Age waivers may not be a big deal to get approved. However, when you are competing against other men and women from around the country (not just your area), your waiver is a big deal to the board if all the other applicants are 4-5 years younger. I'm not trying to burst your bubble. You asked everyone for input and I'm hoping mine will help in some way. You have to remember one thing. You're not just competing for a seat your OSO has been assigned, you're competing against men and women from around the country. If you don't get selected, it's not necessarily a bad thing. You'll just know what it is you need to improve on in order to get selected. Scores are solid, no doubt. But it's the other issues that may take away from them when it comes in front of the board. I have always been the type of person (and Marine) to "plan for the worst but hope for the best" in any situation. And to this day, I can honestly say I've never been disappointed. I wish you all the luck in the world. You seem very motivated and sincere with your intentions of being a Marine Aviator. But don't stress out about it too much. You have no control over the board or the other men and women going up for the same one. But what you DO have control over is your package (GPA, Activities, etc.). Once again, best of luck to you and the rest of the men and women here that have applied to the aviation program (regardless of branch). Lord knows that if you control the skies, you control the war! And in times like these, we need good aviators in all branches of the military! Semper Fi!

reapergm

Da Gunz... After 20 yrs of service.. what brings you to this site? What was your MOS? Good info on your post. Question- do you know anything about recommendations, and their weight (as well as civilian vs. military) - reaper

Praying to get in 184

DaGunz

reapergm...I heard of the site from some friends and thought I would check it out. I was an 0411/0151/8411. Not sure what your getting at with recommendations. Are you talking about PIQ's for the selection board? Try to be a little more specific if you can. I'd like to help out anyone I can. Applying for the same class I see. How does your package look for the board? DaGunz

farkle84

DaGunz i would like to know your rank after 20 years. thats a lot of time putting to the Corps. i hope someday i have the endurance to do that. you are someone that young people like i should look up to. Semper Fi Marine.

reapergm

My package is ok... not great, not horrible. I have a 282 pft (209 initial), 13 solid references (incl. 4 military officers), good essay. My GPA is HORRIBLE (I'll leave it at that...). I had some fun at school, I wish I could take it back, but I cant. SATs ok. I have alot of activities w/ sports and community service, as well as 40+ hour work weeks since age 16 and managed 3 resteraunts. Im NFO contracted, no waivers . My main worry is GPA. The question I had about references is how much they weigh for your package(to the boards decision), and how references from military officers weigh. Will it help? Im not stressing too much about the board now.. no point, nothing I can do. But if I dont get in, I need to try to build up, which is hard b/c I graduated.

AviatorMR239

I wish i knew about how all these numbers add up as well... somedays i feel confident, other days i think i don't have a snowball's chance in hell.

Since I haven't taken my PFT yet, I can only speculate on where I fall in with everyone else.

What worries me most is that i have a misdemeanor drug charge against me. 5 years ago i got pulled over after driving some buddies home from a party, one of which left a small weed pipe in the door compartment of my car. I was stopped on the way home and arrested for possession (what was in the pipe) and paraphrenalia. I was put on 1 year probation.

The thing is I never smoked pot, never tested positive for it on the numerous drug tests I had to take. What I'm worried about is telling the board that I never did drugs when i have a drug charge against me.

I know people have done worse things in this world, but something i didn't do is coming back to haunt me when it counts the most.

1devildoc

From what I have heard, a little minor dug offense like that will probably be overlooked as long as the rest of your package is solid. You will have to apply for a waiver, or an excepion to policy. You will have to write a statement explaining it thoughly. My husband's OSO said that when he sat on the board, the did select a guy with a drug waiver, based on the whole marine concept. If you are good to go in all other aspects, give it a go, or you may regret it forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.