• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intro with some questions

fedfireman

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking here off and on for the better part of the last decade and finally decided to sign up. I have a few questions (I've browsed and searched but have not been able to find definitive threads,) and would like to introduce myself.

I am 26 years old, father of 2 dependent children, and currently work for the DOD as a firefighter. I enlisted in 2004 @ 17 years old before graduating high school. I had attended an accelerated program in which I attended 2 H.S. classes at a college and then filled out my schedule there. I, however, did not graduate high school because I was set to ship out in August and being in the innaugural class in the program there were some discrepancies with my transcripts. When I went to MEPS they told me I qualified as a H.S. grad so I shipped out.

Early on in life, I had all but given up on any real dreams I ever had. I was far too busy chasing tail than getting good grades. I had always dreamed of becoming a Naval Aviator, Doctor, or a Firefighter.

I attended boot camp right before the Hurricane wiped out Pcola so as a contracted AM I was forced into a new A/C school program in San Diego. After C school I was assigned to HC-3 (later HSC-3). After my 2 years at a shore billet I was selected to stand up a pre-comm squadron for the MH-60R, HSM-71. There I made E-4 and E-5 and deployed shortly thereafter. I went above and beyond for the squadron filling whatever role they needed me in (120, 310, 120, det-1, det-3, 120, etc) had multi-systems CDI and 120/12C CDQAR.

Midway through deployment, I decided I needed to make a move before I made E-6 (up for exam Sep 09') and crossed my perceived point of no return. I was honorably discharged Aug 09' planning to go back to school with my GI-bills. Life got in the way for a couple years, and I landed a really good job with the DOD fullfilling one of my childhood dreams.

Unfortunately, after being in the professional fire service for a few years, and seeing what a life in the FS meant for my children (middle class in this country gets the long shaft), I decided I needed to go for broke. My ultimate dream was/is to be a strike fighter pilot, but my ultimate long-term goal was to become a Navy Physician via USUHS. I had ignorantly decided it had to be one or the other and neglected to do any research into fullfilling both. Until now!

I scoured the internet for months looking for any and all information I could find on USUHS, but overlooked the positively orgasmic path to USUHS. That is the path of a Pilot-Physician. That is where I sit now. 12 months away from graduation from a regionally accredited university, albeit online, I am HOPEFULLY going to be dropping a package in Jan or Feb 14'. I know I may be a long-shot of an applicant, but I really don't care. I am going to do it... or I suppose I'll be fighting fire for the next 16 years... but god willing! I will become a Pilot-Physician!

So anywho, that's me in a nutshell. I'm sure I left a ton of pertinent information out but it's late. I'm also sure the structure of my post is a little wonky as I have been editing as I go, but I hope it gives you all a decent understanding of who I am.

The negs:

I am currently 40lbs heavier than I was when I got out (220lbs 69"). But I am working to get back to running my 10mi a day and weight training 4 days a week.

I have a 3/4 sleeve tattoo that I got when I was in, but was undocumented.

I have a 3.3gpa but from an online curriculum and in a less than well-known field. (B.S. Fire Science Administration)

I owe taxes... (first year with a regular Civ job... spouse thought she was supposed to list me and our children on her exemptions form too...) but I'm on a payment plan.

I got my GED in 10'.

I work 24 on 24 off, 72hrs a week, am a father of 2 young children, full-time student, part-time EMT, volunteer Captain with my local muni dept, and am currently putting my wife through nursing school... So I have about -8hrs a week to spend getting ready for application.

Questions:

I have the motivation, I'm not a dumba$$, and I legitimately want to make a LONG career out of the Navy. How good are my chances?

My tattoo extends about 3 inches below my elbow and cover the entire circumference of my arm. Can I wear 3xl PT shirts?? No I'm kidding, but what is the likelihood I will get a waiver/be competitive with said waiver? My tattoo is not offensive, is nautical in nature, and is FAR too much to be lased off.

How important is H.S. diploma vs. GED when I have a DD-214, and a B.S.?

My OSO said as long as my degree is Regionally accredited (confirmed with Waldorf on nothing identifying distance learning) I should be good. I originally thought I'd have to attend a REAL Uni for undergrad and pre-med so I let my grades slip to 3.3 but I can get them up to at least a 3.5/6 by graduation. Have any of you heard anything to the contrary?

I feel as though I make for a decent whole picture candidate but I've admittedly been over-confident as of late. I've only ever flown a helo via cabin trim controls, haven't taken any aviation aptitude tests, but scored an 86 on my ASVAB 9 years ago haha...

Is there anything I need to be doing to make myself more competitive? I am still in contact with some of my O's from DET's and I have made many new contacts on the Army side of the house. Should I be looking for LOR's? I received the Army Civilian Achievement Medal... Does that mean anything?

On a side, completely unimportant, bar. Will I be authorized to wear said medal?

Ok... So, with all of that out of the way, I want to thank you guys. I spent months on the SDN forums with a WHOLE bunch of humdrums and non-motivational speakers. I have spent the last few weeks on here and you guys are some of the most motivational people I have ever seen. (Minus A4 for being such an A$$ about tattoos! JK... but I'm no trailer trash!)

Thank you all again, I hope to, one day, be half as high speed as you fellas.

fedfireman

Completely unrelated follow up... Anna Kendrick is AMAZAZING...

I know my post is rediculously long... I apologize, and a big thank you in advance to anyone willing to read it in its' entirety.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First off,
Welcome. To answer some of your questions...
1. Tattoos are waiverable.
2. GED is no problem. There's at least one member of AW that has a GED.
3. BS or BA doesn't matter which degree. GPA is important as well as leadership.
4. Have you taken the ASTB yet? If not, STUDY the gouge on this site and take it ASAP.
5. Civilian Medal; I don't think you'll be able to wear it, but you should check the regs.
6. I'd recommend LORs from someone high up in your firefighting chain of command...I think they will be weighed heavier than LORs from Os from your Enlisted career. Don't get me wrong, they'll count, but what you are doing right now means a lot.
7. I'd say your chances are good as anyone's. You need to work to get within height/weight/body fat standards.

Keep positive through the whole process and stay motivated. Good luck!

fedfireman

Ea6b- thank you for your response. Follow up comments/ questions:

I was in leadership positions as an E-5, and I'm a volunteer fire officer with my local municipality. Should I be working to enhance my leadership nuggets in my career dept? (currently maxed out at GS-7 firefighter level with no tangible leadership duties.)

I had assumed I would be directed to the ASTB by my recruiter, and I'm sure this would show up in a quick search, but do I need to bug my OSO about taking it or is there a self-enrollment option?

fedfireman

Whoops, prematurely replied.

As far as LOR's from my Fire chain.. My chain goes all the way up to the IMCOM General and Post Commander. Should I stick with someone who at least knows my face or should I attempt at higher? I also know quite a few D-boys, JSOC Seals, Docs, etc. would those be good because I know them now? I just worry an LOR from a civilian may not look as good as from military.

Also, would the fact that I'm only a Volunteer captain be taken into consideration? Or is leadership experience and an LOR reflecting that just as good as any?

And finally, I've always had to be taped. If I were to get within height/weight I would look rediculous. But I tape within standards at around 200lbs no problem. I'm currently around 35% bf which last I knew was within regs but I would like to get back to 200 before the new year. Will my requirement of being taped hinder me or is it understood that some people are more dense than others?

Thank you again!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1. Talk to your OSO about when you can take the ASTB. Typically OSOs/NRDs will administer the test once a month. Make sure you study hard. There's lots of gouge on this site (AtrickPay's gouge, Marine OSO gouge, etc)...take a look at the ASTB sub board and Gouge for more info.
2. LORs: The higher the rank the better they are. I suggested that at least one of your LORs should come from your current boss in the F/F force. Again, the higher the better.
3. I was tapped for the majority of my career..No big deal, but citing your own BF as 35% makes you out of regs (Navy Male Body Fat Standards: Age 17 - 39: Max of 22% body fat // Age 40 and over: Max of 23% body fat).
Start working to get in shape now. The Navy PRT/PFA has probably changed a bit since you got out. Take a look at the Navy PRT instruction from 2011.

fedfireman

Ea6b- GAH! You're right. I need to re-tape. Thanks for the advice! I will check out the gouges you've recommended. I took a couple practice tests way back when, not sure how accurate they were. Also, I remember taking my prt with the recruiter back in O-4, is my next PRT going to be in a group and better proctored?

Renegade- right?! Too bad there's only one of her... The world could use more.

exNavyOffRec

One of the best officers I knew had a GED, bad stuff happened, but went on to get a BS in Math, so don't worry about the GED.
The degree, it is what it is, apply with it and see what happens.
Taxes, is there a judgement at all? that would be a show stopper until paid off.

On the tattoo thing, it is up to the NRD CO, and if he doesn't feel comfortable making the call he will kick it up to the Region CO, the past Region CO I dealt with told the CO's "if you don't feel comfortable saying yes, than I won't", you are going to have to try and see what happens.

You need to take your ASTB, if you don't get qualifying scores the rest doesn't matter.

Get LOR's from your supervisors, letters from them saying you are a superstar will say quite a bit.

Tomodachi

pilot
Don't worry about your online degree thing... I have a B.S. in criminal justice with a 3.3 GPA from an online school and still got picked up and in primary now. Definitely get in better shape now and lose that extra weight before you go to OCS. Good luck!

fedfireman

ea6b- Roger, thanks for all the advice

NavyOffRec- No judgement as I started a payment plan right away. In that case, would it even show up in the process? I have begun delving into the ASTB gouge and will be getting back in touch with my OSO about testing. He told me he couldn't do anything with me this far out... Should I be looking for someone else? I have seen numerous times, people recommending you start the process 1 year out. Thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated.

Mightymouse- That makes me feel better, did your online status come up but you were a rockstar everywhere else or was it a non-issue? And yea I'm tired of being a fat-body in general so I have begun as good of an excercise plan as I can.

Thank you all for your time, motivation, kind words, and stellar advice.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Mmmmm Anna Kendrick.

Good luck man. Just work hard and do what you need to do to get in shape. Ambition in this case is a very good thing. You never know unless you try.

fedfireman

I'm going to miss her when she's gone.

Thank you revan, I know what needs to be done but I have a SUPER hard time working without a routine when it comes to excercise. I was addicted to my routine when I was in, I'd get antsy when I missed a run. But now I am constantly being interrupted by calls and then, mostly because I'm out of shape, I go home exhausted from the night before. I have been reading up on some fire station work outs and things I can work into my job to help though so I hope that helps.

Follow up question- With my age, is strike going to be a stretch? ie. Do I need to concentrate on blowing the PRT away to have a chance or is it all based off piloting skill? I have no idea if I'll actually be a GOOD pilot, but I have always had a wet spot for jets. I used to sit on the flight deck for hours watching them... after shift of course...