• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intro with some questions

Jerry Curl

Brother, as a lurker around these parts, it would appear that asking about obtaining a jet/strike spot is a bit premature at this point. From a search, I learned that age isn't a factor in pipeline selection although it matters for obtaining a Commission. It all depends on the needs of the Navy, and your class standing at that point in time. From my search here, it seems your "wet spot" may dry up after some training, and you may decide to pursue another track. After Selection, OCS, IFS, and API of course.

Also, I feel your pain regarding "catching a run" in the middle of a workout. I'm usually on the bus so I'm not immediately back on station. Good luck with your PRT preparation as that seems to be a priority for you.

Stay safe, brother.

fedfireman

Jerry Curl, I would agree with you in that I've got A TON more hurdles to jump over before being worried about what platform I MIGHT fly in the distant future, BUT, I need all the motivation I can get :) If I have a shot at strike, but only if I get back into 10min PRT's then I would have a much easier time getting back into 10min 1.5mi runs.

I know that I should be striving for that regardless on sheer willpower and determination, but a double helix at the end of the tunnel certainly doesn't hurt. With my background being on 60's, I certainly wouldn't mind going rotary either. I enjoyed flying with a crew, stopping to smell the roses, etc during my FCF and cross countries. I also actually do want to be a Naval Officer first, aviator second.

So, I am not trying to put the cart before the horse, rather I am trying to light the cart on fire and get this horse going. With that said, thank you for sharing your findings, I often get caught up in the conversational nature of posting in forums and ask before I search.

Finally, I work PT critical care transport too so I know the woes of bus riding. Although I have done a discussion board post while completing my CHART on a return trip. Where do you work? And thank you for the luck and safe wishes. I will need them with the impending furlough reducing my department to 10 BELOW minimum manning...

Good luck to you where ever you are in your journey and stay safe as well.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Completely unrelated follow up... Anna Kendrick is AMAZAZING...

I know my post is rediculously long... I apologize, and a big thank you in advance to anyone willing to read it in its' entirety.

I will not argue this, but she does have a pretty ambiguous hairline.....I won't hold it against her though

fedfireman

I will not argue this, but she does have a pretty ambiguous hairline.....I won't hold it against her though

Oh man, you about ruined it for me! She does have a jacked up hairline in some styles. But then I heard her sing again... Deal sealed.

fedfireman

Ok, So... I just got measured again and I'm at just above 25%. I had a circumference value of 24 and I'm 69". So it looks like I need to lose about 4 inches off my waist to get under 22%... BOOO! so... off to do some late night running..

exNavyOffRec

ea6b- Roger, thanks for all the advice

NavyOffRec- No judgement as I started a payment plan right away. In that case, would it even show up in the process? I have begun delving into the ASTB gouge and will be getting back in touch with my OSO about testing. He told me he couldn't do anything with me this far out... Should I be looking for someone else? I have seen numerous times, people recommending you start the process 1 year out. Thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated.

Mightymouse- That makes me feel better, did your online status come up but you were a rockstar everywhere else or was it a non-issue? And yea I'm tired of being a fat-body in general so I have begun as good of an excercise plan as I can.

Thank you all for your time, motivation, kind words, and stellar advice.

If no judgement you should be ok. You can take the ASTB anytime, it is good for life, he probably just doesn't want to mess with you since he doesn't know if you will be a viable candidate at this point, but that being said, if you wanted to test, I would test you.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jerry Curl, I would agree with you in that I've got A TON more hurdles to jump over before being worried about what platform I MIGHT fly in the distant future, BUT, I need all the motivation I can get :) If I have a shot at strike, but only if I get back into 10min PRT's then I would have a much easier time getting back into 10min 1.5mi runs.

AIM for an 8 min mile to start (12 min 1.5 mile). Then you can work to get down to a sub 7 min mile.

fedfireman

NavyOR- ok great. That makes good sense. I will study up for the rest of this month and then contact him in the beginning of July. Thank you very much.

Ea6b- Yea, I run roughly a 9 minute mile now. BUT, that's around my fire station with hills both ways. My biggest hang up is that after a real run my legs are toast. And they take a while to recover because I'm walking up and down stairs in 80lbs of gear every other day. So, I've been just trying to be more active and have been doing 5k jog/walks.

On a side note, PFA days I always pushed myself to vomitting at the end. Regardless of my time I'd be blowing chunks behind a tree. Not sure how much time that last sprint shaves but I can't really practice that either.

But, I think if I do aim for an 8 min mile and then try for sub 7's on my break days I'd probably be alright. Thanks man.

Jerry Curl

Totally understand finding motivation wherever you can; especially trying to get a run around the station carrying an radio, staging a dry shirt/towel, bunker gear readily available, and not get to far out to avoid the engine/ladder crew leaving you so that you have to buy milk shakes. We know the bus is not going anywhere since the senior guys avoid it like the plague :).

I'm with a career department in Central Indiana to answer your question. Thread jack complete.

fedfireman

Haha. Yea that's about exactly it! Luckily, my crew will wait for me but it still sucks. Don't forget about the monotony of doing 16 laps around a building! And trying to keep track of them. And either sprinting the rest of a lap or turning around to find out it's not a full response.

We have hospital EMS so there's no bus for me.. :) but my engine company was the busiest engine company in all of the DOD until the new CAD came out. Nothing like 10-16 calls a weekday shift average.. BUT Joe leaves base on the weekends so that's when I get most of my EC stuff done.

I might just have to break down and run a treadmill again.. BOO

fedfireman

Oh and.. I GPS'd my speed at 7mph and about died at .75mi couldn't maintain above 5 after that.. This is going to hurt...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I'm not an exercise scientist or anything, but I've had some pretty good success at dropping weight while swimming. Swimming is a pain in the ass because you need a pool and time, but it's an excellent cardio exercise that saves a ton of stress on us bigger guys. If you are having trouble recovering between runs, try some laps at the local gym and see how you like it. At the very least you'll be working towards getting better in the pool and shedding some of those pounds.

fedfireman

I don't have good access to a pool.. :-( I work on base but the pools are reserved for Joe from the time I get off until like 10am and I live 35min away.. But I agree with swimming. It whips my a$$.

We have an elliptical at the station that I might try to use but I HATE ellipticals haha. We also have a crossfit gym that's open when I get off work.. I just wish I had more spare time..

Thanks man.