• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interview

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I also have an interview coming up. Some people talked about dress and not wearing blue jeans but what about a pair of black slacks and a polo? I want to dress well but without coming across as a tool.

Make sure you have someone with some taste review your wardrobe before you interview...as in an older person like a parent.

Don't be out of date... :eek:

fez.jpg

vincentjus

Thanks for the help! I'm applying for OCS since I already have a degree. The interview is so they can get an assessment of me. I was curious to know what kind of questions they ask and how long the interview takes, etc.

SQUIDutah

pilot
Don't wear those tight freaking pants that look like you borrowed them from your sister's closet. Also do not wear pants that look like they would be ten sizes to big for BoBo the clown. We had two guys in the office today for the CO interview that had the above clothing: They were laughed at by all.

MasterBates

When I went in to NRD Boston, I wore Khakis, a belt, nice shoes, and a Sikorsky or Pratt & Whitney polo. (I was working for UTC when I applied)

MasterBates

Nah, my Recruiter was a SWO.

I probably had the easiest BDCP application and process. I never checked AW, I did what I was given a list of, no more no less.

My recruiter rocked. "I'll get you in, YOU stay in shape for OCS"

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
MB knows this, but for the rest of you: I was poking SAC, not him.

vincentjus

My recruiter suggested a coat and tie. Apparently he had an applicant go down in flames because she was dressed casually at the interview. I probably could have gotten away with khakis and a polo shirt, but a suit is definitely better.

PS. The recruiter told me a story about a sub admiral that simply told the applicant: "Do something to piss me off!"
The applicant picked up a $400 model submarine and busted it across the admirals desk.
The admiral was extremely pissed.
The applicant got a great review from the admiral.

If the story isn't true, it should be.

Lawman

None
Question for the unwashed.... Interviews.... Do you do them only with BDCP? Or do you also do interviews with direct OCS apps and if so do you do them before or after your board?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My recruiter suggested a coat and tie. Apparently he had an applicant go down in flames because she was dressed casually at the interview. I probably could have gotten away with khakis and a polo shirt, but a suit is definitely better.

PS. The recruiter told me a story about a sub admiral that simply told the applicant: "Do something to piss me off!"
The applicant picked up a $400 model submarine and busted it across the admirals desk.

That would be one of the infamous Rickover (Nuke power) interviews and apparently true

FUPaladin

couldabeen
Question for the unwashed.... Interviews.... Do you do them only with BDCP? Or do you also do interviews with direct OCS apps and if so do you do them before or after your board?

I applied directly to OCS and I did an interview. I think it's technically optional (maybe depending on what you're applying for), but my recruiter strongly suggested it, and I feel that I did well in my interview and really helped my application package. BTW, my recruiter suggested a suit as well, and the two other interviewees there were similarly dressed, though after reading this thread, apparently that's not the case everywhere. As always, when in doubt, ask your recruiter.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot

Luckily for the Admiral the applicant's response wasn't, "Sure sir. Where are you parked?"

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

Rickover used to do crazy stuff like that. My roomate's dad's entire interview with Rickover was entirely "A Poli Sci Major will never join my sub fleet." He just liked seeing how people reacted.

He's now an o-6 in the Sub Fleet... go figure.

Recidivist

I haven't seen this on here anywhere, so I'll suggest taking Resumes. When I went to my last interview I took Resumes, my motivational and wore a suit and tie. Sit up straight, and be honest. People can tell when you are yanking their chain and since you're probably not an actor don't try to fool them (not saying you will/were thinking of it, just don't).