• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interview

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
-get a haircut
-speak confidently and clearly
-look him in the eye
-ask some questions

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Get a haircut. Don't show up looking like you're there to hang with your buds. Act respectful and be confident.

Edit: Skid beat me to it.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just in case it isn't obvious and I have seen some folks not be clued in, dress for success; no t-shirts or blue jeans or running shoes/sandals. Dress conservatively and wear a good pair of shined shoes.

And use "sir" instead of "dude" or "man" when you reply or address him (yes, I have been called "dude" more than once so this is no joke).

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Try not to stammer. Be concise and to the point. Get the information across and then shut your mouth.

I assume this is either a BG interview or your ROTC interview. So expect questions about why you want to be in the Navy. Why you want to be at USNA/ROTC. Come up with answers to those questions before hand, that way you will be able to answer concisely.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
DON'T use the word "like" as excessively as most of the frikin' people I hear nowadays, especially people right out of college. I just want to shoot people in the face when I hear that damn word.....

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
DON'T use the word "like" as excessively as most of the frikin' people I hear nowadays, especially people right out of college. I just want to shoot people in the face when I hear that damn word.....

Second that. On top of that, show a genuine interest in joining the Navy/becoming an officer. Do this by having at least a basic knowledge of what you want to do, and what you'll have to do to get there. At the very least, understand the basics of a couple of the Navy's platforms.

statesman

pilot
Second that. On top of that, show a genuine interest in joining the Navy/becoming an officer. Do this by having at least a basic knowledge of what you want to do, and what you'll have to do to get there. At the very least, understand the basics of a couple of the Navy's platforms.

Agreed. If you don't know exactly what you want to do, fine but tell him what you think you want to do.

For example if he asks 'what do you want to do in the Navy?' you might answer 'I don't know exactly sir. I have been looking at aviation, marines, and submarines.'

Let them know that you understand the Navy's mission, and how it fits in with the other branches. (Don't say 'The navy goes on boats?')

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
For example if he asks 'what do you want to do in the Navy?' you might answer 'I don't know exactly sir. I have been looking at aviation, marines, and submarines.'
If I was your interviewer and you gave that answer, I'd give you low marks. The Marines are not the Navy.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Eye contact! When he's looking at you and you're looking at the ground or off in to space that looks poorly on you. Have good posture and look him straight in the eye when you are talking to him. It conveys confidence and alot of the attibutes that officers want to see in other officers.

statesman

pilot
If I was your interviewer and you gave that answer, I'd give you low marks. The Marines are not the Navy.

If he is going up for a BG interview or an NROTC interview he would choose to go green once accepted. Plenty of guys I know USNA and NROTC chose to go green well into there 3/c and 2/c year.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
Wear a collared shirt...maybe even a tie and slacks...some nice cologne.
Look him in the eyes every chance you get, ask questions...but really listen to his answers. Don't get caught staring at his chest either, they hate that.

Yeah, and don't try to reach around either, they don't really like that too much. :eek:

radar

I also have an interview coming up. Some people talked about dress and not wearing blue jeans but what about a pair of black slacks and a polo? I want to dress well but without coming across as a tool.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
^Well in your case its too late.

Polo would probably be legit, I don't think I wore a tie to mine (this was 6 years ago). They let me in.