• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Inter-service transfer, lead wings to wings of gold

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I know nothing of going AF to USN flying reserves, but I went/am going from active duty USN (got out in may) to the ANG flying Herc's. I'd assume its similar to what I had to do, but I just started calling squadron's and asking if they were having any upcoming boards and if they had any specific requirements for who they wanted to hire. As far as SAU's go, I would just called the squadron duty office (if you're talking RAG or VT SAU's), either the watch or SDO who answers can give you the name/number of who to get a hold of.

I live/drill my current USN reserve gig at JRB Fort Worth and they have a few VR squadrons here, pretty sure their numbers are on the base website that is public, if you wanted to try that route (transport-ish flying). Feel free to PM me if I can help.

2sBrownBear

None
Copy that. I will definitely research this a bit. The Navy Reserves sound somewhat similar to the AF in the sense that AF Reserve squadrons are stand alone units, as well as augmenting active duty squadrons. Total Force Integration, I believe, is what they're calling it.

I appreciate the help everyone, I'll start from here and see what happens. If you have any more advice by all means speak up. JoshDavid I may be shooting you a PM a bit later, thanks brotha.

KBayDog

I believe the Navy calls it "ARI" or "Active-Reserve Integration." It's a totally different term, so it must be "better," right?

No.

"JARTFI" (or "Joint Active-Reserve Total Force Integration") is better. So much better, in fact, it should be a 4-Star "Joint" command.

jlg79fe

CargoFlyer;

Ever have any luck with the transfer??

I am a ANG C130 driver looking to go to one of the VR C130 squadrons as well. Just trying to find anyone who has done this recently...

JG

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Isn't there a former U-2 type flying T-45s down in Kingsville floating around on this board?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
At Hawaiian, we have a pilot who is an Army Reserve WO4 flying Metroliners out of Wheeler. He's been approved for a direct commission as a Navy Reserve Ensign so he can join the Kanehoe Gulfstream VR squadron as a pilot. It might already happened by now. They're awarding him NA wings too based on his Army flying and the only training he'll get is the Gulfstream training which I think is done at a civilian schoil.

And no, I don't know how he did it. I don't even remember which pilot it was as it was about 6 months ago I flew with him and he told me about it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
At Hawaiian, we have a pilot who is an Army Reserve WO4 flying Metroliners out of Wheeler. He's been approved for a direct commission as a Navy Reserve Ensign so he can join the Kanehoe Gulfstream VR squadron as a pilot. It might already happened by now. They're awarding him NA wings too based on his Army flying and the only training he'll get is the Gulfstream training which I think is done at a civilian schoil.

And no, I don't know how he did it. I don't even remember which pilot it was as it was about 6 months ago I flew with him and he told me about it.

That sounds like a pretty cool deal, at least if the guy has another form of income (though i guess O-1E pay is probably comparatively good at least on the AD side)

Herk_Airlifter

None
I was wondering if anyone had information about ISTs and how paygrades are determined.

I left AD Air Force in January and was accepted into Navy SELRES at a VT squadron. I was an O-4 select in the Air Force (I did 9.5 years) and was told that the Navy would honor my AF selection and promote me this coming September. Unfortunately, when I went to sign my Oath of Office, I noticed that it said my date of rank year was 2013. I was informed that not only would I not be promoted to O-4, but that I would essentially be starting over as a brand new LT.

I'm over not promoting this Fall, but it's really hard lose so much time accumulated and the pay associated. Is there any way I can get credit for time as an O-3 in the AF and go up for the SELRES O-4 board in the next year or so?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am really looking forward to being in the Navy, I just don't want to lose out on pay and promotions.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Sounds like a stay of execution to me, friend-o. You get to keep your brain, your balls, and your spine?

Winning!

I have nothing useful otherwise to offer.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
First of all, congrats on your SELRES gig. Based on the experience of others, I think you will find it very rewarding. Now, on to your question.
Unless you have something in writing that specifically says that this is what they are offering you in terms of date of rank and promotion, I am afraid that you may be hosed. I wouldn't give up the ship yet, and would definitely go talk to someone at the bureau to try and get it figured out. For starters, go to the npc website and look for a contact number or email for someone who works for your community. I don't know specifically if there is a SELRES vr guy there, but that would be a good place to start. They should be able to at least point you in the right direction.

This quote pretty much sums it up:

NavyOffRec said:
you know what a verbal promise will get you in the military, a story to tell on how you were screwed out of something.