• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insignia at winging?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Just getting my uniform together for winging and a quick question occurred to me.

For you folks with multiple warfare insignia, did you wear anything on your winging day? Obviously it would have to be in the bottom position...but wearing that to the winging would be odd.

Is there some trick (like electrical tape on the sleeves at commissioning) that I should know for winging?

cisforsmasher

pilot
Congrats Scoober! Sorry i wont be able to make it tonight, though.

Anyway, isnt it a required part of your uniform? People get crap for not wearing all that they rate. I think it would be odd for you not to wear your dolphins. You might even get a laugh or two about "seeing the light from deep down in that hole under the ocean." Be proud of your roots.

phrogpilot73

Just getting my uniform together for winging and a quick question occurred to me.

For you folks with multiple warfare insignia, did you wear anything on your winging day? Obviously it would have to be in the bottom position...but wearing that to the winging would be odd.

Is there some trick (like electrical tape on the sleeves at commissioning) that I should know for winging?
The Marine Corps does it differently, so those with warfare wore it and the wings went above it. My suggestion would be to wear what's correct prior to - then go to the bathroom just prior to the winging and switch it to the bottom...

EDIT: Wow, didn't realize that the young Scoober is getting winged! Congrats bud! Mods, you know what's next!!!

MasterBates

Right now scoob is stuck in Prop Gayness Limbo.. Has been done for a while, but has to wait to wing until next month..

Which I think is BS..

Unless it has changed, when I was in the HTs, you went to the next winging after you completed.. No waiting for a month done.

There are Studs I went through T-44 ground school with that are DONE and have been for a couple weeks.

They don't wing until 30NOV. :confused:

MasterBates

Yeah.. I was told on Friday, "You are going to the boat Wednesday and winging next Friday"

And that's how it happened.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Hey guys...very sorry for the confusion. Yes...prop gayness. I was just getting the uniform ready early because I have never worn Chokers before. I don't wing until the 9th of Nov....but yes I am done.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
When I got my anchors pinned on I had to drive to the ceremony and walk around on base with no rank and no cover. It felt wierd but I think there is some exception for military ceremonies that you are an actual participant in.

Maybe officers do it all different though, I dunno :icon_tong

trvsmrtn

pilot
I wore my ESWS pin above the ribbons. My wife took it off to pin my wings and I adjusted wings and the ESWS after I sat down.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot

Scoober, I had previously earned two sets of wings (NFO and Naval Parachutist) prior to my pilot winging. Personally, while I was proud of those first two, the pilot winging was, frankly, all about earning the pilot wings, so that is where I focused. I went to the winging wearing only the ribbons I had earned. I wanted my pilot wings to be my focus and that of others, not some smorgasboard of gold trinkets on my chest.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I wore my ESWS pin above the ribbons. My wife took it off to pin my wings and I adjusted wings and the ESWS after I sat down.
Same. I wore my Dolphins and Dive pin, had my wife remove the silver Dolphins and put the Wings on. It's all about what you want to do, its your moment, enjoy it. Especially the party afterwards.... :D

MasterBates

Same. I wore my Dolphins and Dive pin, had my wife remove the silver Dolphins and put the Wings on. It's all about what you want to do, its your moment, enjoy it. Especially the party afterwards.... :D

I think I enjoyed it.. But I dont remember JACK. Not sure how much was the party afterwards, and how much was the (PRESCRIBED) demerol.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think I enjoyed it.. But I dont remember JACK. Not sure how much was the party afterwards, and how much was the (PRESCRIBED) demerol.
I had a great time. Threw down three $100 bills throughout the evening to buy rounds for the bar. The rest of the night is mostly a black hole in my memory...

My father in law (retired Chief) laughed his ass off at my antics and got a kick out of seeing his son in law trying to recover outside the house at 5am....