• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insignia at winging?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You get to wear soft wings though? My last training evolution in VT-4 was CQ and the afternoon we all completed, went to the I-Bar in San Diego and got our soft wings pounded onto our chests. The winging was a week later. Congrats regardless.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Scoob, I think our mutual LT (VQ) friend had his wife remove his water wings at the actual ceremony. Congrats, dude--looking forward to seeing you back here in Jax.

WRT prop gayness, everything I've heard makes me think it's actually not the prop community driving the prescribed winging date thing; it's more the Chair Force and their insistance on having a date set in stone for folks to graduate by. I think it's got its ups and downs, but it is retarded when you have to wait as long as Scoob.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
You get to wear soft wings though? My last training evolution in VT-4 was CQ and the afternoon we all completed, went to the I-Bar in San Diego and got our soft wings pounded onto our chests. The winging was a week later. Congrats regardless.

No...we don't. Hence my witty question. The problem is the squadron essentially guarantees that we are useless. I asked about doing FCF's and acting as a copilot for logistics flights etc...just to keep flying. Problem is...according to OPS...until I am winged, they would have to give me a flight check before they sent me....I don't understand what the hell the difference is. Am I NATOPS qualified or aren't I?

I think Othromas is right BTW...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Am I NATOPS qualified or aren't I?

Are you? Perhaps different in the VTs, but in the HTs, you're Instrument qual'ed but you never get designated as a PQM, just qual'ed as "Safe for Solo." Curious if you guys are.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Are you? Perhaps different in the VTs, but in the HTs, you're Instrument qual'ed but you never get designated as a PQM, just qual'ed as "Safe for Solo." Curious if you guys are.

I'm not sure...that was a real question. I was under the impression that our instrument check ride (I4890 for those with MCG) also served as our NATOPS check...but perhaps I am wrong. You would think this would be easy to find out.:D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm not sure...that was a real question. I was under the impression that our instrument check ride (I4890 for those with MCG) also served as our NATOPS check...but perhaps I am wrong. You would think this would be easy to find out.:D

It definitely is not a Natops checkride, but is a Natops Instrument checkride. Natops checks are more like a Safe for Solo type event, w/ additional paperwork. If you've never signed a piece of paper that looks very much like the Instrument check paperwork, but wasn't the actual Inst. Check paperwork, I'd say you're not a PQM.

Any VT advanced IPs here to confirm? Stinkster? I'm curious (but have my suspicions).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had our winging on the Reagan, the week before its comissioning. They hosted a lunch for us before the ceremony; I wore my SWO pin in the "correct" place (above the medals) until we were about to start the ceremony, then moved it to below. The couple of folks we had with ESWS pins just showed up with them already pinned below the medals. No one said anything either way.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I wore my EAWS wings up on stage. Had the wife take them off and tack on my pilot wings. Haven't worn the EAWS wings since (except on a belt buckle). Wish I could wear them.

As far as Natops check, in the HT's your INST check does not count as your Natops. You have to do all the tailrotor EP's on a Natops check, full autos and it is in a bravo. Students don't do any tailrotor EP's. I would guess it is somewhat the same in VT's. There might be stuff they do on a Natops check that students don't ever perform.

MasterBates

Prop VT students are not NATOPS Qualed.

Either P3/C130 or E2/C2

P3/C130 gets a NATOPS Instrument Rating.

E2/C2 does the INST-X but no rating (I was able to get renewed, but thats because I already had a NATOPS Instrument Rating.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Had my aircrew wings pinned below already and let my wife pin my NFO wings above. Had another guy in my class w/ dolphins above that got moved when his wings went on. As said before, no one will care either way. It's all preference.