• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
web_100922-N-8848T-699.jpg

100922-N-8848T-699 NEWPORT, R.I. (Sept. 22, 2010) Officer Candidate Shaun Penrod, from Provo, Utah, traverses across a portion of the new 39-foot-tall high ropes course at Naval Station Newport. High ropes is part of the Officer Candidate School training and officer candidates are required to complete the course before graduating from OCS and being commissioned. (U.S. Navy photo by Scott A. Thornbloom/Released)

web_100922-N-8848T-491.jpg

100922-N-8848T-491 NEWPORT, R.I. (Sept. 22, 2010) Officer candidates attending Officer Candidate School (OCS) maneuver around the new high ropes course at Naval Station Newport. High ropes is part of OCS training and is designed to instill confidence, communication and teamwork to future Navy officers. Officer Candidates must complete the course before graduating from OCS and being commissioned. (U.S. Navy photo by Scott A. Thornbloom/Released)

Damn it, they didn't have these cool things when I went through... This makes me mad... That looks like tons of fun. I mean I had a blast at OCS, even without the fun obstacle courses.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
I wish we had the ropes course. When I was leaving I heard rumors they were going to construct it. That's just plain awesome.

Anyone else remember being put in the "rest position" by GySgt Stahl? I felt my sinuses were going to burst wide open after a minute like that.

ClutchS306

hey joe where did you get these photos? I was at OCS on Oct 29 as a candidate officer and am wondering if you have any more of these photos and if they were part of the new OCS video?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
hey joe where did you get these photos? I was at OCS on Oct 29 as a candidate officer and am wondering if you have any more of these photos and if they were part of the new OCS video?

Recommend you reach out to your Class Officer and see if they know Scott A. Thornbloom, the photographer credited with the photos, and see if there were extras. I'd imagine they'll be around as good material for HiMoms presentations.

Also, I purged/drank away most of my Newport memories. Is the ropes course by the SUYA on the side of King Hall?

Ezekiel

Falling, with style
None
Is the ropes course by the SUYA on the side of King Hall?

The SUYA on the side of King Hall is now underneath the zipline at the end of the ropes course. Since the whole ropes course is now inside a chainlink fence, the pit now called and used as the SUYA is between wing 4 and 6 of Nimitz Hall, replete with toxic, re-used sand and garden hose.

beaverslayer

pilot
web_101029-N-8848T-223.jpg

101029-N-8848T-223 NEWPORT, R.I. (Oct. 29, 2010) Gunnery Sgt. Duncan Hurst encourages an officer candidate to properly perform pushups during the first week of the 12-week Officer Candidate School at Naval Station Newport. Hurst is one of 12 Marine Drill Instructors who train the candidates in military bearing, discipline, drill and physical fitness. (U. S. Navy photo by Scott A. Thornbloom/Released)

web_101029-N-8848T-178.jpg

101029-N-8848T-178 NEWPORT, R.I. (Oct. 29, 2010) Gunnery Sgt. Duncan Hurst helps an officer candidate carry his seabag during the first week of the 12-week Officer Candidate School at Naval Station Newport. (U. S. Navy photo by Scott A. Thornbloom/Released)

Ha... I worked for GySgt Hurst during candio, so I was probably within 15 feet of this picture, and I am fairly sure I never once saw him "helping a candidate carry a seabag." I also wouldn't use the word "encourage" to describe how he corrected pushup form.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
The SUYA on the side of King Hall is now underneath the zipline at the end of the ropes course. Since the whole ropes course is now inside a chainlink fence, the pit now called and used as the SUYA is between wing 4 and 6 of Nimitz Hall, replete with toxic, re-used sand and garden hose.

Rog. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
At Marine OCS there aren't any safety lines on the ropes course. If you fall you may hit a net, or you may stop suddenly on the ground.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
At Marine OCS there aren't any safety lines on the ropes course. If you fall you may hit a net, or you may stop suddenly on the ground.

Less possibility of brain damage with Marines (hard heads), I suppose?

SC-NY-88

FNG
None

Is this new video a much needed updated version of the "Committment to Excellence" video? I'd like to see it if you have a link. (unless you're refering to a Hi Moms video not an official Navy OCS video)

blarged

ready
Is this new video a much needed updated version of the "Committment to Excellence" video? I'd like to see it if you have a link. (unless you're refering to a Hi Moms video not an official Navy OCS video)

When 03-11 was doing ORLP they were interviewing candidates for an "internal OCS video" ... at least that's what the guy doing the interviews told me. The video camera and interview guy were also at 01-11 Hi-Moms doing interviews.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Yeah, yeah...and you slay dragons......

Why is it always a dick measuing contest????

Any recent OCS grads have any info/experience that they could share? This thread has gotten kind of dated so I'm curious what has changed. I hear that there are individual heads now, is this true? What contraband do you recommend bringing vs picking up while youre there?

Renegade One

None
or this...?

web_101029-N-8848T-055.jpg

101029-N-8848T-055 NEWPORT, R.I. (Oct. 29, 2010) Chief Machinist's Mate Jamie Hebert motivates a candidate during the first week of the 12-week Officer Candidate School at Naval Station Newport. (U. S. Navy photo by Scott A. Thornbloom/Released)
Classic use of "knife-hands"?