• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

GreatScot

Hold the down position of a pushup for 30 seconds, then up for 3 seconds for about 5 minutes straight. Lay on your back with legs extended and hold your feet 6 inches off the ground for 30 seconds, then up to 90 degrees for 30 seconds for about 5 minutes straight. That should get you started.

The best you can possibly be in. There is no max, so you might as well train as hard as possible.

any advice on the best cardio prep?

ray25017

The best prep for cardio would be core / interval exercise training...

I would spend 30 solid minutes doing exercises such as these:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=yelkaim1#p/u/104/Pucl3A68T9M
(Everybody's got their favorite exercises... Personally, I use a lot of the ideas from this guy).

Exercises like this work your core, if not your whole body. A strong body allows you to focus on running instead of supplying oxygen to your weak abs, arms, or back. Make sure you throw in PRT-style pushups / crunches, pullups, flutter kicks, and mountain climbers. If you're feeling particularly motivated, do some 8-count body builders.

Next, do 20-30 minutes of interval training. Assuming you're using a treadmill, jog 1/2 mile at a very brisk pace (preferably nothing less than 8.5 mph). Then, run 1/4 mile as fast as you can (preferably 10 mph+). Repeat this until you've reached 2 miles. Do this running at at least 1 degree incline in an attempt to mimic 'real' running. If you run outside, even better. If you're outside and not sure of distance, jog 3 minutes and go hard for 1. Repeat until you've done at least five 1-minute 'all outs'. At the end, you will have essentially ran 5 minutes at your max speed.

If you did this particular workout 3 times a week (Mo/We/Fr) and simply jogged 3 miles on Tu and Th at a moderate pace (for strength and endurance), you would most likely see noticeable gains within 3 or 4 weeks. You'd increase your Vo2 max and slim up (assuming you don't eat trash). Of course, losing weight allows you to run faster, as well (given you're carrying less weight than you were before -- could you imagine running with a 10lb barbell? Drop 10 and you're sure to shave 10 secs off your mile and a half time).

* I'm not an OCS vet but I was a Marine so I have some experience being killed by DIs.

Archanan7

Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi
Ok So currently at OCS. Here's the retarded advice of an Officer Candidate about to be Candio with zero experience worth listening to in the quasi grey area between Civi and Officer. F#$K the gouge. F#$K everything you've ever heard on here or percieved about OCS. Bring the minimum items perscribed on offical sources. Be in the best possible shape you can be exceeding what official sources say is required. (above and beyond any pain you've ever experienced otherwise you will experience it while here.) Other than that there's not much advice worth having that will help you here. The only personal advice I would've given to myself other than that before arriving here is this: DO NOT BE MOTIVATED BY FEAR. If you fear pain or failure you will not succeed here. You will fail at many things no matter how good you are. You will experience pain beyond what you've known no matter how capable you are. If these are prices you are not willing to pay you are not Officer material. Some willing to pay these prices who were not prepared were attrited or are severely delayed. Complaining is the mark of someone who is just surviving and not excelling. Do not cripple yourselve coming here halfass or convincing yourself just enough is enough. Bring it all to the table ready to play or stay home. Dismiss this as exhausted venting or as a genuine warning to help guide you to success. I really don't care either way. My commission will come soon enough. Stay strong, prepare yourselves, and go beyond what you know to succeed.

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
You will experience pain beyond what you've known...

Your entire class is going to experience pain if you don't stop posting on these sites while at OCS!

There was a officer candidate in my class who decided to give out gouge on these sites. Long story short the DI found out and decided to read to the class what the OC's posted during drill practice as we held our rifles out in-front of us in the squat position followed by an RPT session!! Other classes received similar treatment when an OC in that class was discovered!

So, a little advise to you... refrain from posting about OCS on these sites until you have graduated. OCS is bad enough, last thing you want is to be responsible for a class beating and/or to be called down to speak to the Operation Officer or Master Guns about why you were "blogging" on gov't computers!

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Stay strong, prepare yourselves, and go beyond what you know to succeed.

I'd like to add to Archanan7 comments: open your ears and listen, and do exactly what you are told to do. I just left OTC after attending DCO school and we ate in the same galley as the OCS folks. From observing OCS students during our meals in the galley, most of the time that the DI's were "motivating people" was because students were not following instructions.

Stay strong, Archanan7. We had a great deal of respect for you guys and gals while we were there.

Your entire class is going to experience pain if you don't stop posting on these sites while at OCS!

Well said Renegade! An individual in my class was doing the same thing and made us pay for it. Since there is only one class about to become candios, it isn't hard to figure out what class you are in. Wait until you commission and then post all you want about OCS. As for the cardio question, I ran 2-4 miles 4 days a week on hard surfaced streets and paths before I reported and I was fine. The harder you can push yourself before you show up the better off you will be. At OCS Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday are running days with strength and conditioning built into Friday's run. You start out with 1.5 miles and then switch over to the 2.7 mile runs. I ran between a 7-9 minute pace while preparing for OCS and left OCS running about a 6 minute pace for my runs. Search around the internet and find something that works best for you and just remember you will only get out of it, what you put in. Make sure you are working on staying hydrated as that cannot be overstated enough.

BigL17

One of the most important things to remember at OCS is to never pass up a head break even if you don’t have to go, because who knows when the next one will be.

nugget61

pilot
Stupid PT question: For proper pushup form are your elbows supposed to be parallel to the torso or perpendicular (when in the down position)? I thought the navy-prt website had videos but I can't seem to find them.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Stupid PT question: For proper pushup form are your elbows supposed to be parallel to the torso or perpendicular (when in the down position)? I thought the navy-prt website had videos but I can't seem to find them.
They don't watch for that. Perpendicular will allow you to do more, though.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
It's not really "letting it slide." I knew nothing of the difference until our class LT instructed us to do them perpendicular to utilize more chest than tris. Too bad this was like right before the out PFA.