• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Initial issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmc9280

I'm trying to get all my finances in order before I ship. My question is this: I know we need to go with $300 for large and small bag items but what do they do for Utes and boots? I read something on the OCS webpage that said you will get them from cash sales. Do we have to pay for those too? How does this work? Also, when can I expect to be paid the first time and then each month after that? Thx.

farkle84

you should get your boots prior to shipping off, so you can run in them and get them worked in so you dont tear your feet up. you get your UTES at cash sales and they are automatically deducted from your pay when you are there. you should get paid the second week you are there. and every two weeks after that. you shouldnt have to pay for your boots too, your OSO should give you two pairs. one pair of jungles and one pair of leathers or the new kind.

kmc9280

How much are the utes? Also, I've been told we get the ew brown boots when we get there and we can bring a pair of jungles if we have them.

farkle84

the boot thing must be new. that sucks. hopefully it doesnt punish your feet bad. i dont know how much the utilities are. you probably can check online somewhere.

Nikki

My BDU's are roughly 60 dollars a set.. and you need 4 sets, so roughly 240 dollars..if that is what utes are, if not, forgive my stupidity..

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Don't waste time by buying old utilities. Wait till you get there and get issued the new ones. They are much more low maintenance. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the boots. If you can get ahold of a pair of the new ones, go ahead and get them and break them in, but if not, its not that big a deal. The farthest you hump at OCS is 15 miles. My big thing on boots is that I don't worry so much about the breaking in as much. What I do advise though is buying the ones you are going to hump in about one to one and a half sizes larger than your regular fitting boots. Trust me... on long humps your feet swell about that much. Buy them about a size to a size and a half too big, wear a good pair of the thin sock liners under your boot socks, use that good foot powder, and you'll be golden. At least this is always what worked for me. Any of you prior O3's out there probably know some even better advice.

Nikki

Yeah, don't buy the bdu's before you go, they want to size you there anyway. But count on 60-80 dollars per uniform when you get there. In my goofy little air force basic training, my feet did get sore in the boots they gave me..so sad

moesoccer

yeah don't bother buying stuff before you get there... i went to ocs this past summer and you get issued 4 sets of woodlands and 2 sets of deserts later on... you also get issued a pair of jungles and a pair of icb's (boots) that are both the new leather type of boot... they are awesome!!! but they get discolored easy.. but i thought that they were comfortable. but good luck

mccabe1919

I heard you don't have to polish the new boots or iron the new BTU's. Is there any truth to this? I know when I was in it consumed so much of my time.

Nikki

The new boots are not the same material as the old ones and don't need to be polished, the bdu's have permanant crease and have a more durable material so they don't have to be ironed..good stuff!!

mccabe1919

Man I'll be honest with you, I'd rather wear ugly boots than have to set polish on fire and shine those babys all night. I would spend at least 2 hours a night getting my trash together. Thanks for the updates.

farkle84

shining your boots wasnt tough. i would rather look like a Marine with spit polished boots than one that looks like you are wearing some kind of fungus on your feet.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
The new boots kinda suck. They're easy to maintain, but take forever to dry. This is important because at OCS you'll appreciate having dry feet. Oh yeah, bring duct tape. It comes in handy for all kinds of stuff, not to mention that you can tape your feet up with it. It really does work for anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.