• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Initial issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceafp

When it comes to the new boots and BTU's I have mixed feelings. I think that the BTU's are affective but the ability to iron them and shine you boots properly was what set you apart from every other Marine when it comes time to stand in front of a promotional board. As stupid as it sound it was a sense of pride, and you could seperate substandered Marines by the pride they took in their dress...Might sound stupid but a spit and polish Marine was at least a very proud and dedicated Marine.

mccabe1919

"Might sound stupid but a spit and polish Marine was at least a very proud and dedicated Marine." This is true but for infantry Marines it wasn't easy. You couldn't tell me that the admin Marines, who almost always looked spit shined, where more so proud and dedicated than infantry Marines whose uniforms were more tattered compared to most on an average day due to a different job. I do agree that you would feel extremely proud wearing your shiney cadilacs around with fresh pressed cammies, but as far as setting yourself apart, you weren't supposed to go off base in them. No one ever saw you in cammies besides other Marines and your family. Oh well, just some thoughts. Are you still alowed to wear your own boots if you want?

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Yeah... I think you can still wear your own up until October of 2004. I don't know though; you better check the uniform board website. Its somewhere on USMC.mil. I gotta disagree with most of the above quotes; particularly the ones about the boots. Having been through many many pairs of boots the past few years, the new Marine Corp issued boots have been the best pair I've ever had when it comes to comfort, durability and maintenance. I completed 3/4 of TBS with them on my feet, and there are no real signs of wear when I scrub them off. I have had NO problems at all with them drying. They actually dry out a helluva lot quicker than the old black ICB's. I realize that everybody's feet are different, but in my opinion the new boots beat the hell out of the old ones hands down.
As far as the new cammies, they are about 1,000,000 times better than the old ones at doing what camoflauge is SUPPOSED to do. (you know... actually blend with the environment). We are a warrior culture. The Marine Corps exists to fight battles and make more Marines. I'm not saying that garisson appearance isn't important. As Marines, we should always take pride in our appearance, but our WORKING uniform should be based on UTILITY... not just looks. Hell, I don't think they look bad in the first place.
Another point is the maintenance factor. No longer will a Marine have to spend time ironing when he could be studying, PT'ing, spending quality time with his family or maybe even (perish the thought) getting some well deserved R&R. Or in my case, I won't have to dish out $3-$5 every time I break the starch on a fresh set of cammies. That cleaning bill adds up after awhile.
Anyways guys... before you completely flame me, keep in mind its just an opinion.
Semper Fi

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
I should have been a little more clear when I mentioned the drying time on the new boots. I was comparing them to the old jungles. I felt like the jungle boots dried quicker than the new ones, and that's what we usually wore on a daily basis at OCS. In '03, OCS switched to the new boots and the ICB's are usually worn on a daily basis because they're so much more comfortable than the new jungles. I actually don't mind the new ICB's too much, except my pair got all loose in the front and started spreading. Now they resemble clown boots. However, I friggin hate the new jungles. Most everyone I've talked to hates the new jungle boots also. Anyhow, that's just my take on the matter.

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
I thought the new jungles were really similar to the new ICB's. The ones I saw had only one difference. They had the vents on the side.

FrogFly

They look the same, but a lot of people believe they feel quite different. There's a very distinct difference between my jungles and ICB's. I'd love it if my new jungle boots were as comfortable as the ICB's.

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
I know the ones I saw at cash sales were Belleville. I thought that Belleville was the only company making them. I guess not. Quick question. I'm down here at P-cola, and I thought I might go ahead and pick up a new set of cammies. Got a couple pairs that are starting to look a little TOO salty. Anyone know where I can find some of the new MarPat cammies. The only places I know that have them are the recruit depots and quantico cash sales.

Citizen

Here was my experience from OCS this past summer:

bring the $300 to buy all the small/large bag crap. It cost my company $205 a head, but may be more depending on the season.

Cammies/boots/sea bags are issued by cash sales, but despite the name we did not pay for them right there. The cost of our uniforms and boots was taken out of our paycheck (so we were told).

All cammies were the new MARPAT style, plus tan boots. Don't worry about bringing your own cammies to OCS, you'll just be wasting your money.

As for boots, we were issued 1 pair infantry combat boots, 1 pair jungle boots, both tan. the ICBs are thicker and comfier, but heavier. The jungles, once broken in, are lighter and the way to go on PT, humps, etc., unless you bring your own boots.

In my opinion, 2 pairs of boots is not enough to make it through OCS. I brought a pair of magnum zip-side black boots that i had purchased and broken in months before OCS, these saved my life on humps and PT events (O-course, stamina course, SULE, etc). They were much lighter, more comfortable, and easier to get on and off during those 5 min hump breaks to change my socks. They also allowed me to have one pair of boots to trash on the messy events, one pair to wear around to class, drill, chow, etc, and one just for inspections. the black boots were only allowed during these events, but it seems like you're always doing something messy at OCS.

Nobody knows for sure what the brass at OCS will say about black boots for future classes, but if it is true about the deadline being extended to OCT2004 then I would say go get the best black boots you can find, and break em in. You'll thank yourself at OCS when you're draining dime-sized instead of quarter-sized blisters after taps.
icon_smile.gif

FrogFly

Originally posted by Crowbar
FrogFly-
Did you get Bates or Belleville jungles? I (and everyone in my plt) got Bates jungles. We all hated them and ended up with gaping holes for blisters, especially on our heels. Last week I bought a set of Belleville jungles and they feel identical to the ICB, at least comfort wise.
I recieved the Bates jungles this summer. They sucked, just like you describe them. They had a knack for rubbing holes in the backside of your heels and were stiff as a board. We had to do the SgtMaj post and relief in them and I now hate them more than anything. I'll have to look into the Belleville version since you say they're like the ICB. If not, I'll never wear them again.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Also, what's the model number on the Belleville boots? I was looking at the website (http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/federal/federal_5.htm) and wondering what pair the USMC issues? Thanks.

Citizen

ICB: Thicker, heavier, but comfier too. The pair you'll probably wear for inspections and also before you break your jungles in and your feet are killing you.

jungle: thinner, with vents on the inboard side, and lighter. These are a bitch to break in, but once you do they're the way to go for everything but inspections.

read my earlier post on bringing a pair of your own boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.