• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Information Warfare VS. Pilot

LoneSailor

I'm an enlisted Cryppy, I could probably answer some of your Q's as far as life as an IW officer is concerned.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
what is the prowler/growler community?

The EA-6B Prowler

IMG_4208.jpg
[/IMG]

The Prowler replacement is the EA-18G "Growler" (some prefer "Shocker" though)

MSF06-1605-11.jpg

MasterBates

Growler
1. The act of defecation involving prolonged shouting of obscenities during and usually after the act. Always involves a white knuckle grip on some near by object. Then a lengthy discussion about it to the next three people you see.

2. Name of the Electronic Attack variant of the FA-18 Super Hornet, the EA-18G.

P3 F0

None
I've done the IW thing (this was before there was a dedicated community for it) at FIWC in Little Creek. I did a shore tour and did much different things than what I would have done had I been on sea duty. The sea bubbas deployed with the CVBG and basically showed up to the Admiral's staff with IW equipment at the ready, where they were quickly sent to stow the IW gear and stand watches. I'm not sure what the exact relationship was between the IW cell and the staff EWO, but our IW guys didn't seem to do much and it seemed that, in general, folks don't see IW as bringing much to the fight. They were just nice padding for the watch schedule.

My time was spent doing stuff I can't talk much about in the Plans section. Right after 9/11 I was sent TDY to Tampistan, working the CENTCOM IO SIO cell, where I saw some pretty cool things, but really, even at that level, we really didn't bring much to the fight. Probably the most practical and important thing we did was freq deconfliction.

I'd be interested to hear what some current IW folks have to say. One of my buds (a pilot) got dragged out of a nice shore tour flying as an IP for the Air Force and sent to Baghdad for a year. As soon as he got back, he lat transferred to IW. Haven't heard from him since then, so I don't know how he's liking it.

My advice: Take the pilot slot. This is a no-brainer.

phrogpilot73

...this was before there was a dedicated community for it...
Umm, so you did IW somewhere in the neighborhood of WWII? The community has been around since the 50's - only it was called Cryptology then...

IW's been around for a while...

P3 F0

None
Sorry, I totally forgot about that. :eek: I know the E's and Warrants I worked with (mostly CTT's) were not doing much of the tech-stuff. Not sure about the O's. The O's I worked with all were SWO's, not crippies.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yea, it would be nice to hear from some current IW...

Well there's only one around these parts, and unless phrogpilot73 puts the pants on and cracks the whip you're probably not going to hear from her in time.

Avalon

here's a question - is there a huge difference with the tour/away from home time between the two (I'm assuming PILOT is more, but is it a LOT more?)