• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IMPORTANT INFO FOR ALL GOING TO OCS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Burke

Just to give the everyone a heads up here. When you get to OCS and you get NPQ'd don't expect to get another designator. They are 100% locked up for the next year. There are no exceptions. We just got a whole bunch of folks who got NPQ'd at NOMI. They rolled them straight into GTX. They are going home if they are not BDCP or other program or if they dopn't have grounds to fight it. So, word to the wise, don't get NPQ'd.

Also, a CDR at NOMI told me recently that there have been people who were on BDCP or other program where they get paid in college and they get here and try and find ways to get NPQ'd so they get sent home. Just to let everyone know, the Navy is taking aggressive action to prevent this type of fraud. I was told about one guy who is already on his way to court martial for it. So, what does the wise man say? Don't try and commit fraud against the Navy.

Paul Burke

Not if I have anything to say about it. I am trying to fight the NPQ because I don't have any headache problems and I am not going to let some bs of a reason like that keep me from flying.

ryan77

What are some of the other reasons people get NPQ'd during OCS? I've heard headaches are a big pitfall (even though it doesn't make sense - with all the heat and stress it seems like a headache shouldn't cause someone to lose their designator).

I suppose passing out would initiate an NPQ. What are some other conditions? Thanks!

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Is the flight physical that you recieve your first couple of days at OCS the same as the one at API?

Just to give the everyone a heads up here. When you get to OCS and you get NPQ'd don't expect to get another designator. They are 100% locked up for the next year. There are no exceptions. We just got a whole bunch of folks who got NPQ'd at NOMI. They rolled them straight into GTX. They are going home if they are not BDCP or other program or if they dopn't have grounds to fight it. So, word to the wise, don't get NPQ'd.

Also, a CDR at NOMI told me recently that there have been people who were on BDCP or other program where they get paid in college and they get here and try and find ways to get NPQ'd so they get sent home. Just to let everyone know, the Navy is taking aggressive action to prevent this type of fraud. I was told about one guy who is already on his way to court martial for it. So, what does the wise man say? Don't try and commit fraud against the Navy.

edato

How does one get NPQ'd? Does this happen while you're going through OCS, and you end up having some physical problem and then get kicked out? Or does it happen to people right when they get there due to an entrance physical or something? Can you then re-apply for OCS if you're kicked out? This sounds like a really crappy situation for a lot of people.

Gator

Normally when a person get's NPQ'd it's due to a medical issue that is noted during your in flight physical. Being NPQ'd does not neccessarily mean that you are going to be kicked out of the Navy. It means that you are not physically qualified for the job to which you applied. In some circumstances you can redesignate to another field. So long as your medical problem does not keep you from doing so. If you are injured while at OCS you normally have the chance to recover and then continue with your training. If you are NPQ'd and are unable to redesignate you could possible reapply to OCS at a later date if the medical problem was correctable. Such as getting PRK sugery.
I hope this helps out.

JTP

Gator, you didn't really go to UF did you? LOLOLOLHHAHAHAHAH!!

GO DAWGS!!

YEAH COME ON!!

edato

Why don't they just check for everything at MEP's before you apply for OCS as an SNA? Wouldn't that save a lot of time and expense, instead of getting NPQ'd once you get there?

ghost_ttu

Hey Pat, I hear if you tell the DI that realization on the first day that the DI will love you and probably just accellerate you directly to graduation

bman

Hello all,
I've just been NPQ'd as a NFO and I just want to emphasis Paul's point. Paul and I are roommates here in the building and there are a ton of people here dealing with very bad situations.

I was NPQ'd for defective color vision(not color blind though). I was never given the test at MEPS although my medical record has me with a perfect score on the test. As someone not coming to OCS through a program, I was essentially told that there were ZERO slots in any other designator and told to pack my bags.

I can't even begin to say how frustrating this has been and how jaded I have become seeing what has happened to myself and others. Please, all of you, be very aware of the situation.

Good Luck to you all.
Baird

RC

BMAN - What test was given to prove that you have defective color vision?

Edited by - RC on 08/17/2002 17:03:59

ryan77

Hey bman, I'm sorry to hear what happened to you. It really sucks that this condition should have easily been caught at MEPS. How long were you at OCS before you got NPQ'd? How many people in your class had similiar NPQ problems?

Ryan

bman

The color vision test given is a a pair of small lights(red, green, and yellow) which rest in a vertical line. you have to identify the color from a distance of ~10 feet. There are a surprising number of people who have been disqualified from flight through this test. And there are others who have had something else go wrong. If you are a Program person(BDCP, DEP, etc.) and lose your designator be prepared to wait here for months in GTX/Student Pool until you are released or an opening has been found. Only guys like me who are coming straight from home make it out of here in a few weeks. There are many people who have been here for months and some even for years. I think the best advice anyone can give a future OC is make sure your physical is absolutely squared away, and then, don't get hurt while you're at OCS.

Best,
Baird

Status
Not open for further replies.