• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IMPORTANT INFO FOR ALL GOING TO OCS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
If you are BDCP and get NPQ'd for flight, the Navy will find you a spot in another community. It may take some time. However, the Navy doesnt like giving away free money for people to go to college.

Dave

marti

For all of us that are scared to death of the NAMI Wami I was wondering if a few of the people that have made it through OCS could give some examples of things that people have gotten NPQ'd for. I would like to continue to think that most people get it because they disclose info that is truely disqualifying, and not because they pass the depth percetion test at MEPS and not at NAMI, or something stupid like that.

Here's a good story.

I went this morning to get my physical done for my commisioning package. Luckily my recruiter arranged it so that I could go to the local Naval reserve Center instead of MEPS. So, while I'm there I have to keep asking them for more tests (i.e. Color vision, depth perception, EKG, etc.) since they are just doing some of the basic stuff that is needed for a person to be deemed fit for duty. Anyway, this HM2 keeps telling me that they don't have a depth perception test. So I ask the HMC that is a full timer there and sure enough they have one. Now, before I continue I need to tell you that 4 months ago I had my opthamologist give my a little depth perception test in his office that I passed with flying colors. So this HMC has me sit in a chair and stick my head into the eye chart machine (which has the test in it). I look at the chart and I swear to god I thought I was going to be sick to my stomach. I could not tell a difference between any of those damn circles. I guessed on a couple and got a few right and wrong before I stated to the cheif that this test was hard as hell. He agreed and even tried to do the test himself. At this point I'm just freaking out because I am thinking that all my dreams of flying one day are flushed down the toilet. Then, even though I had been continually blinking to determine the correct cicle to choose (a technique I recommend) I tried using one eye at a time. I closed my right eye and there was no difference; then I closed my left eye. I looked up, smiled at the Chief,and asked him if he thought the test would go better if the machine was set so you could see with both eyes at the same time. He agreed and I passed the depth perception test.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Most guys get the whami for vision. Every once on in a while a guy will get hit for a heart murmor or something really strange. Depth perception gets alot of guys. Remember, if you cant pass the dot test, ask for the alternate depth perception test. It uses lines instead. I had to use it and everything worked out fine.

Dave

Dave Shutter

Vision is one thing you really can't get around. If your Rec' sends you for a check-up at a "friendly" place other than MEPS, he may not be doing you any favors. If you need a favorable reccomendation for a waiver, it's a great idea (trust me!!!) but for your check-up and eye tests he may just be wasting your time. Their tests may not be as stringent but you'll be waiting in line at NOMI sooner or later and they don't play around. This technique has always been the best way to get NFO's BTW. As for the NOMI poeple I have nothing less than total gratitude for them. People there bent over backwards to help me with both my knee waiver and recently my sinus surgery waiver. An hour after I passed my LPC test ride I had a temp up-chit in hand. Other things that can get you raking leaves and painting around schools command in khaki pants, collared shirt w/ name tag and sneakers while you wait to get sent home is chronic migraines, allergies, joint pain and repetetive ailments in general. If you elect to tell them this you'll get points for honesty along with your plane ticket home. OF course if you were to develop these conditions later on in training or even after being winged then you'll most likely be waivered and treated for them. The earlier on you have problems the easier is it to get rid of you, especially these days. This is real easy math if you ask me.

marti

When I last had my vision tested at my optometrist's office I missed one of the letters. The doctor told me that I had 20/20 vision anyway. Now I'm sure that at NAMI if you miss one or two letters they are going to fail you on the spot. So, my question is if that happens but you test out at least 20/40 will they give you a prescrition and allow you to continue? If you miss one letter with a single eye, but read perfect with both will they not consider you 20/20? It is my experience that standards are different all over the Navy and in the civilian world I just want to know exactly what to expect when I get tested at NAMI. Do they rush you through? What would some of you suggest prospective students do to be 100% sure they don't get NPQ'd? Like others on this forum I am risking a really well paying job, my house, my friends, and possibly a relationship by going back in the NAVY. If I go there and get NPQ'd I'll be screwed. If I know that there would be something to get DQ'd from SNA I'd rather apply for INTEL and go back that way. Any advice would be appreciated.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
When I put my package in my vision was 20/27 and I was accepted for SNA. I believe the requirement is 20/40 uncorrected, and 20/20 correctable. i'm a little worried about the visual acuity test myself. If anyone could shed some light on the procedure and equipment that would be great.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Uh..

Call NOMI or look on there website. Get the requirements and then go to a civilian Opto guy and ask him if your questionable or borderline. Thats the best I can do for you. The procedures were long and I was workin on little sleep.

Dave

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
here's the link to the NAMI requirements for SNA's and NFO's.

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/exams.htm#sna

Dave Shutter

I can't recall all the vision specifics, and there are a few, but the big one on being less than 20/20 > 20/40 is CORRECTABLE to 20/20.

Rex

A year and a half ago, I got waived for 20/40 on the NOMI test. I don't know if that still applies with the log jam in training. Since then I've passed two physicals with 20/20. The NOMI vision test is tough. The light in the room is dimmed. I suggest keeping your eyes closed while sitting in the bright light of the waiting room for a couple hours. Some canidate officer might give you grief and tell you to read some trash, but screw him because passing that test is definitely more important than what someone eleven weeks ahead of you thinks, especially the way it sounds like their NPQ'ing people. If he doesn't understand then he's probably some scub with a restricted designator. Also, here's a little joke with a bit of truth when dealing with NOMI "Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations."

Dave Shutter

Self correction: checked into Primary today...finally...and got the deal on OCS stud's. The reg from Bupers that automatically sends OCS aviation attrites home is not official...yet, but it may be very soon. However I do know of one guy, and heard of others, who have been released from service upon request after attrition. Sorry for scaring some guys pre-maturely. I'll post more info on this as I get it.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
here is a quote from an email from my recruiter regarding the medical exam at OCS:

"The Navy is not in the business of selecting
officers and then making them enlisted sailors. You have nothing to worry
about, your eyes are fine and the people who handle the medical things in the
Navy are very good at what they do. They know the different program
requirements and I am sure that if you are close you will get the benifit of
the doubt. Don't be spending your last few days as a civilian in a state of
worry...Have some fun, it will be a while until you can again. "

wtf

ROFLMFAO

Recruiters know all about the warm and fuzzy part of the Navy. Too bad no one else does.

Pap- E-mail me you friggin yoohoo backpacking turd

Jim

everybody worrying about their vision, take a look at www.rebuildyourvision.com, apparently this guy was an airline pilot who improved his vision through various exercises to the point where he applied for and passed the navy flight physical. his program is a bit pricey but its something thats worth a shot. hope this helps.

-jim

Status
Not open for further replies.