• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Im In!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McWhirter

Falcaner,

Congrats on OCS. I wouldn't push my date back...the sooner you start, the sooner its over with. Plus you can hang with all the 02Jun, 09Jun and 16Jun candidates.

Ed, you are scaring me with all this DI talk. I think you are intrigued with the show Boot Camp buddy! haha.

Congrats again Falcaner!!

Ed Williams

Everyone has to love a DI right??? HaHa. Question... how many DI's are aggigned to each class? I know while I was in Boot camp for Army we had 2 DI's and 2 other enlisted helping out. What is the staff like in P-Cola?
ed

Ed Williams

That won't be that bad. WHen I had 2, they were always theree. There was not one time I can remember without a DI in my face. It may be nice to have just a few minutes each day without a DI>
ed

Dave Shutter

Halfway through my 13 week OSUT/boot camp we found out we'd get a brand new DI right out of the Ft. Know DI school, and he get coached by our other two DI's who had already won Honor Platoon about 8 times in a row (we made it nine). This is right as the Desert Storm air war started and the ground was was about to kick off. Not the best time to be in Boot for a combat MOS. We were all sh*tting bricks for a whole week: "Jeez, three of e'm!" Actually it turned out he was a laid back guy. I don't think I heard him yell once. But we were the tightest platoon by far and we were over the hump so there was no real mashings going around, just a lot of motor pool classes and weapons, but with 3 DI's sneaking around we still couldn't get away with anything.

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 05/01/2001 00:28:00

Dave Shutter

I know Frumby's gonna light up his flamethrower on this one, so I'm gonna jab first!

Actually, I don't think you can say flat out that any general differences exist, because DI's (regardless of what kind of camo soft cap they wore before having the "smoky bear" grafted to their heads), regardless of what they've been told to do, teach more or less according to their personal beliefs in the military based on their own experience. Some are screamers and some aren't, period. Some stress the academics from day 1 and are laid back, while others believe that there is no substitute for experience (which you'll get later on, hopefully) and likewise spend 90% of boot drilling you on the basics, and only familiarizing you with what's required in the smartbook.

My boot was OSUT (One Station Unit Training) and was 13 weeks with no follow on advanced. We had 6 platoons, 2 DI's each, all in one building and throughout the course of that you saw a lot of the other DI's, who gave instruction for everyone, and you saw a lot of different styles!

When you show up for Boot you're going to be standing in a line and hearing a, loud, carefully prepared speech from your DI that includes all the stuff the Army wants you to hear on day one. However, four weeks later, when your all standing around a fire-in-a- drum, on some godforsaken range under some abysmal weather at 3:30 in the morning, and the comedian side of your DI comes out, that's when your gonna hear how it really is when you get out to a unit.

Take the show BOOTCAMP for example, all real ex-Marine DI's (who are now no doubt trying to jumpstart acting careers) but you can see that the 4 of them have different styles of doing things. Some will seem like big brothers, others will be like school yard bully's. Also think from their point of view: different behavior on their part is required to get performance and results from different recruits/OC's. Some will need more screaming/push-ups/etc, than others to get the point. Their there to teach and that's the bottom line, whatever gets the job done. If you do get stuck with a screamer who seems to have it in for you and only you, just rest assured that he wouldn't be there if he didn't know what he were doing.

My $0.04

D

Ed Williams

It was a painful lesson durnig my boot camp experience, but the memory that stuck with me the most was the way the DI's would act after graduation. It was amazing, they were like completely different people. I still don't think they would let me wear the hat though!
ed

Walker

Does anyone else have a june 9th date for OCS besides me and falcaner?

By the way, are you keeping that date falcaner , or have you decided to move it back?

Edited by - walker on 05/06/2001 06:57:27

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Walker,
Well as far as the date goes i asked the navy if it were possible for them to move it back. And then they promptly said NO! aparently the navy is will to move your date up but to move it back you have to have a real good reason. Unforunatly i have reason just not ones the Navy considers real good. but at anyrate I wil be down there on june 9th. thou i am thinking about going down the day befor as has been sugessted hear. later

Sean

Ed Williams

Strange, but my ocs date was originally june 2nd and was changed to june 16. I tried to get it moved back to june 2nd, but they said no!
ed

Status
Not open for further replies.