• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IM A RAIL AND I CANT HELP IT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

perchul

well I would focus on free weights, for growth I think 3 to 4 sets for 8 reps, just make sure you push your self on every set. You should be surprised when you get that eighth rep, so do a weight you may only be able to get 7 of and pump out 8

zuggerat

awesome perchul thanx so much...imma write this stuff down so i know what im doin when i get my gym membership at school this week

kevin

dont know about in carbs but i doubt it...it's by far the most abundant aa in the muscle tissue, though. that's probably why it's so important to supplement (hard to find in foods).

for long term muscle growth....try injecting testosterone. and there's another great powder out there to enhance your workouts....it's called crack.
seriously though, only you would know for sure, but it may be you think youre eating a lot when in reality youre not even coming close. when i was training hard core people looked at me like i was some sort of creature cause of the amount of food i was always shoveling down my throat (that's right i didnt even bother chewing). i think jaerose comment on keeping a log book is well-founded.

JKD

Creatine helped me add some muscle (although I couldn't give you a lb amount - I was trimming fat at the same time). Another supplement you can look into is HMB. I don't have direct experience with this one, but it's suppose to reduce the protein breakdown in your system (or something like that..)

The people who said you need to limit cardio are correct. Your muscles need the energy and building blocks to rebuild.

You should be eating more proteins than normal (but not a straight protein diet). I've seen some diets that say as many as 1 gram of protein for every LB of body weight. (If you eat this much protein, drink plenty of water - it can be hard on your kidneys) That also reminds me - it's always a good idea to run stuff like this past your doctor - it never hurts to keep them informed (even though some don't agree with some body bulding techniques)

I think Kevin used the word intensely... this is another key. You don't want to be doing a lot of reps, but the reps you do should be fatiguing the muscles. The rule I used was, if you can complete 3 sets of 15 reps with a weight, you need to go up in weight. I tried to keep it around 8-12 reps/3-4 sets of an exercise, and 2-3 different exercises per muscle group. Then REST the muscle group (48-72 hours is what I've heard). Muscles do not grow while you are working them, they grow while they rebuild.
I used to use a split 4 schedule - work 1/2 the body Monday, 1/2 Tuesday, Wednesday off, Thursday same as Monday, Friday same as Tuesday, take the weekend off. Do your most of your cardio on the off days.

Lastly - everyone is different. This is what helped me.

perchul

Crack is a really good subsistute for ephadrine, but if your looking to put on the lbs then its just going to work against. Kevin brings up and excellent point about thinking your eating alot when your not. Learn to count calories if your not taking in 3500 a day then it will hard for a person your size with your metabolism and level of activity to gain weight...3500 is a rough estimate

kevin

good point about the crack...stay away from that stuff. but for the other guy whos trying to lose weight=key to success. while it's important to do the 3x10 type lifting, it's also crucial to throw in consistent heavy lifting (5x3, etc) to really stimulate your muscle. and it's a great way to increase your load (ooops...dont read too much into that- kama sutra can be the next post). but increasing your strength (load) will help lift more reps of heavier weight and hence gain mass. most natural bodybuilders start off with powerlifting for this very reason.

it's funny you mentioned garbage disposal- the people i eat lunch with always shove their leftovers in front of me cause they know i have a real problem with people wasting food...hence my nickname "garbage disposal."

zuggerat

im with u kevin, i had that same problem in high school and i would eat my parents out of house and home. i feel bad for them sometimes. first the fridge, then the pantry, then gnawing on bar stools if there was nothing else (you'd think i was somalian or something)...ive calmed down a lot tho

kevin

lol!!!! i read your post too fast and thought you said "then gnawing on stools". man, that's really hard up for calories!!!!

Undertow

I'm the same way as you but what helped me was starting a diet. I don't mean eating less, I mean eating more. I'd set up a set amount of calories per meal that I would eat and rough guess it. I cheated from time to time but eating a couple of Arby's Roast Beef Big Montana's will help gain more than lose.. however you want to be VERY careful about what type of fat intake you have. So, eat healthy and eat allot is rule #1 for us human garbage disposals. If you're lifting light w/high reps change that up to heavy, low reps. Get a partner to lift with to help spot heavier sets when you're doing 21's and power sets. In regards to supplements, Creatine added fat that was a pain in the ass to get rid off once I got it, I'm not talking obesity here, I'm talking about extra crap that prevented the extra definition. I've been taking Celltech and Nitrotech and so far I like what I've seen, I haven't seen any huge gains, but everything that I've put on has been pretty lean mass so it's a slow process but it's working and that's all I care about. I have trouble keeping the weight on which is even worse, I can look like I'm in great shape for a few months but the second I stop maintaining it I turn into Yoda again. Anyone have anything for that one?

perchul

yeah don't quit maintaining, and I don't like workout partners because I explained somewhere else that they will only fail you. There are always people at the gym to ask for a spot from. I don't think creatine added fat in your diet though, more then likely something else you were doing at the time. But right on about small gains and just going for lean mass

jaerose

OK, NO2 (NOX2, Nitrix etc...don't purchase the GNC brand, too expensive) is a hemodilator, which means you get more blood, oxygen and growth nutrients to your muscles. I think it has promise, but I haven't tried it yet. DO NOT take stimulants/fat burners if you want to get big...your metabolism is crazy anyways. Perchul is right, glutamine is usually in powder form (at least it's the most cost efficient variety) and it's good for keeping your body from 'eating' your muscles.

Diet-wize, for calories salads don't count. Too light on calories (if it's a healthy salad). Stick to huge turkey sandwiches, eggs, potatos...whatever quality stuff is in your college dining hall. I would also seriously add a couple of meals per day and drink a meal replacement prior to bed (or eat a meal), so you don't lose muscle at night. If you can, drink a protein shake in the middle of the night. I would also drink a protein shake with some carbs about 45 minutes before lifting (if you can without getting sick). I think the name of your game is going to be try to never go more than 3 hours without eating and never let yourself get hungry. Also, creatine is for recovery and pushing out the extra couple of reps, so I wouldn't use it until you're getting enough calories, otherwise it won't help too much. Get some flax seed oil and take 2-3 tablespoons per day (it's good for you and you'll need the calories...one of the most ripped guys I know takes 4 per day).

Training-wise, like most have said...stay away from machines and use free weights. Focus on compound exercises like bench (with bar and dumbells), squat, military, 1 arm rows etc. Don't go crazy with the reps...8-10 is optimal for muscle growth. Handle the most weight you can SAFELY handle and perform quality reps with a couple cheat reps on you last set. Like previously stated, once per week per bodypart is enough, or you'll be overtraining...you grow while resting, not lifting. Also, squat on Mondays and Thursdays before any other exercises. Your body will release the most testosterone and GH with this exercise. A study showed that guys that did only squats 3 times per week for 6 months gained 1/2 inch on their arms without directly exercising them. Squats hit your whole body and you'll be amazed at the results. Try to fit in deadlifts, too. Get someone to show you how to do them properly.

Finally, before I shut up, rest, rest and then rest. You won't grow if you don't get enough sleep. Try for 7-9 hours and if you have to take a nap to get that much, then do it. That's when your body will grow, so don't neglect it! You've gotten some great advice, so implement a good program and let us know about your results.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.