• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ifs

Trev82

pilot
hey this input is much appreciated and i'll be sure to refer to it as i approach grad. How easy was it finding an apt with a 3 month lease and how soon before grad did you begin looking for it?

UORBulldog

Well, we had a meeting with the IFS director about 2 months prior to finishing, and requested a start date, and then a couple weeks prior to grad. we had another one and got our date. I basically went to Giant and picked up one of the free Northern Virginia Apartment Guides (the ones you get on the rack by the door) and started calling places around Manassas and looking online. I'd say about 70% of the thousand apartments from Fredericksburg to Woodbridge to Manassas all have 3 month leases from my research. About half of those are ridiculously more expensive than the normal 12 month rate, but there's a few that are good deals. The 2 month lease is a little more rare definitely. Manassas is probably the most expensive area but also like 5-10 minutes from the airport. Woodbridge is a lot cheaper, but you'd have to drive alot. Of course if you're mustering at Mainside for a month and the airport once you start, that wouldn't be too bad because it's about 45 minutes from here to Barber Gym on a good day. Fredericksburg and Stafford are cheaper than Manassas too. Just remember, this isn't Pensacola so a lot of these places have never dealt with servicemembers or military orders so you have to explain to them what's going on, and it's probably not a good idea to bank on showing up with orders and getting out of a lease.. but it's always possible, I think some people did it. But anyway, as it is now.

PM me if you want to know more about the place I got

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
it's probably not a good idea to bank on showing up with orders and getting out of a lease.. but it's always possible, I think some people did it. But anyway, as it is now.

That'd be banking on federal law, which I think you can feel safe doing.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
That'd be banking on federal law, which I think you can feel safe doing.

Which begs the question, Does the military clause have to be in the contract, or are you protected even without it? In Virginia, specifically, cause that's where I'm gonna use it.

[/threadjack]

dagenhartrj

Ok gents, I'm in Pensacola right now and I graduated Charlie company 2007. I came straight down from Hell, Va and it took me six months to get into IFS. I didn't care since it was a break for me. How ever, pause for effect with a few buzz words, every year Aplha co always sends down a lot of non ifs complete LT's that creates a bottle neck down here. They just finished all the alpha co guys from last year about a month ago. Right now we currently have seven F co guys that just checked in here to go do IFS. Long story short if you get down here after alpha Co then your going to have a wait unless the Navy starts being nice and giving us more than five spots every two weeks. If you have anymore questions about the what is currently going on down here you can email me at r.jason.dagenhart@gmail.com I pick up with API on the 18th. Well time to go phyiscal muster and then go back to bed. I love this job.

TheFurr7198

This is across the board. You can sign a 12 month lease today and 3 days later or however many break it with PCS orders to another duty station. You are just obligated I think to pay the amount of the rent for the portion of the month living in that apartment. There is nothing that the property owner can tell you because you have federal law behind. Nothing can change this. If the lender tells you something different or tries to tell you cant he is wrong. Tell him to see you in small claims because you will win 100% of the time.

UORBulldog

Well, I when I said not to have to "bank on breaking a lease" I meant more along the lines of having problems getting copies of PCS orders from admin more than the day before you leave - If anybody knows anything about how the admin goes around the Barretville area, it's not the quickest. I'd rather just pack my shit up and leave than have to worry about it

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Tell him to see you in small claims because you will win 100% of the time.

You can be right, but still have to go through a lot of hassle to resolve the situation anyway. That is why people settle lawsuits even if they are right, it saves the hassle.

Zbone8762

I was Fox company - graduated March 19th. I came to Pensacola on March 26th, Checked in one week - and now I'm in IFS. They are really pushing down here to get people through as fast as they can. MOC OIC is also claiming that we will be able to start API shortly after we finish IFS. IFS is fast down here - with some IFS schools finishing in close to 20 days depending on the weather. And if you are a graduated company - i.e. Fox, Echo, Delta, or even Charlie - you need to get down here now. Why stay in Mike Company where you get treated like s***. You are given ZERO accountability of yourself - how are you expected to take charge of a 30 dollar plane/ young marines.
They are trying to get everyone in before the mess that is Alpha company comes. Not hating on Alpha company, but with all those air slots - its going to back up at some point. We had a pre-IFS brief a few days ago and apparently some serious brass called down and asked why all these Lt.'s are in limbo - needless to say - All of Fox company started IFS shortly after. Moral of the story - Come to Pensacola and start your career - not rott away in O'bannon Hall.

Trev82

pilot
roger that zbone, if i had the choice i would get down there asap to begin IFS and start flying but unfortunately i'll prob be on the short end of the stick and be caught in a backup being that i'm in bravo and will get stuck behind Academy grads and Alpha grads...

SemperFlyMarine

The CRF's Worst Nightmare
roger that zbone, if i had the choice i would get down there asap to begin IFS and start flying but unfortunately i'll prob be on the short end of the stick and be caught in a backup being that i'm in bravo and will get stuck behind Academy grads and Alpha grads...

Sounds familiar, Trev...I'm in exactly the same boat you are. If you hear anything about Bravo IFS, could you let me know?

phrogpilot73

Well, I when I said not to have to "bank on breaking a lease" I meant more along the lines of having problems getting copies of PCS orders from admin more than the day before you leave - If anybody knows anything about how the admin goes around the Barretville area, it's not the quickest. I'd rather just pack my shit up and leave than have to worry about it
Talk to your property manager and explain the situation and see if they'll accept an official letter from your command in lieu of orders. Admin genn'd me up a letter in about 10 minutes that I gave to my apartment complex - and that was good enough, they just required that prior to actually moving out they get a copy of the orders. I gave them that as I was driving by the office on my way outta town...

corpsocgmu

Marine Officer
pilot
. And if you are a graduated company - i.e. Fox, Echo, Delta, or even Charlie - you need to get down here now. Why stay in Mike Company where you get treated like s***. You are given ZERO accountability of yourself - how are you expected to take charge of a 30 dollar plane/ young marines.

Those who "choose" to stay in Quantico for IFS probably aren't doing so because of some overwhelming desire to stay in the area for a few extra months.....I know I sure as hell didn't. When I graduated TBS, some of us received orders to complete IFS in Manassas while other lucky bastards got orders to go straight to Pensacola.

You may or may not have the option of going to Pensacola for IFS....its kind of just the luck of how smoothly things are running when you graduate TBS. Though I'd say that if they ask for volunteers for Pensacola, you'd have to be crazy not to raise your hand.

Yes, staying in Mike Co was all sorts of terrible. I dealt with it....so can you.