• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ifs

Trev82

pilot
I'm not graduating for a couple more months but i'm already beginning to hear gouge that IFS is to NOW be completed down in pcola for TBS grads. Being under the impression that Marines were completing it up here in N. VA i'm a little confused as to why all of a sudden they're sending us down to pcola to do it. I'm only concerned because i feel i could get it done quicker up here and get more hours...anybody have any intel on this?

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
If, in fact, what you heard is true, it is most likely due to the severe lack of standardization in the IFS program. When I went through (almost two years ago) they had already started to shut down all IFS locations used by ROTC units. The problem is that the program is supposed to be a screening tool but many of the remote locations (non Pensacola-based) were not really weeding anyone out. Meanwhile, the Pensacola-based programs were producing attrites.

Long story short ... if they (the Navy) are going to pay for the civilian time, they want it run their way, and that is harder to manage remotely.

bradler

To be honest Trev... I would rather be in Sunny Fl doing my IFS then hanging around longer in VA. Just in my opinion.

Jbramps

i just checked in to tbs on tuesday and they are already sending people i checked in with to IFS. The word is, everything is so backed up no flight contracts start tbs until echo company which picks up may 28th. Most marines will have gone through ifs before picking up with echo. Im not doing IFS because i already have my pilots license. Everyone will be done with IFS before they finish tbs and go to pensacola.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Here's the deal I am in Alpha co we graduate in 5 weeks; we have like 70 non IFS complete in our company. They are sending 30 to Pensacola, and the rest are doing IFS here in Quantico. We were given the option of where we wanted to do IFS at, up here or down there. 20 volunteered for Pensacola, they volentold a few and some others just change to Pensacola after talking with there SPC's.

So Yes SOME Lt's are doing IFS in Pensacola and SOME here. From what we were told most the guys going to Pensacola will not have to wait since this is the slow time of the year. They will get there in the middle of May (14th), before all the new ensigns report after graduating school(late May to June) and will be weeks ahead of them so this a filler time for the IFS in Pensacola.

1/2 the guys in Quantico will start 4 days after graduation, and the other ½, 3 weeks later. Also we are not a part of TBS any more we will PCA to Aviation Training Branch on Main Side and report there. Also all the guys will have to live in town or try to get a room at the Main side BOQ.

I will fill in more info tomorrow as we are talking with the Quantico IFS coordinator then.

JZAB

lov2playlax22

Hey JZAB, do you have any idea about how long it might be to class up for the new guys going down to NASP that report down in early June? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

UORBulldog

I'm in IFS up here at Manassas right now and things are pretty backed up with Delta and Echo post TBS guys and now pre Delta guys - combined with bad weather recently.., hence, reason for more guys going down to Pensacola for IFS

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
Hey JZAB, do you have any idea about how long it might be to class up for the new guys going down to NASP that report down in early June? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Early June is a different ballgame, as NROTC is sending somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 new ensigns down for IFS/API at that time. Most USNA grads are IFS complete and will be classing up or placed on the waiting list for API when they arrive. So it is possible that you will have short or long wait for IFS and API, and I'd imagine it will be hard to know for sure before you report.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
Also all the guys will have to live in town or try to get a room at the Main side BOQ.JZAB

I'm going to OCC this summer, so this is not even a real issue for me yet, but this made me wonder what this means as far as BAH, and all that? Will BAH be authorized for the two months to complete IFS, or is it a per diem type thing?

If they haven't told you yet, so you don't know, no big deal, just a thought. Thanks.

SemperFlyMarine

The CRF's Worst Nightmare
I haven't heard anything about what's going on with the Bravo Co Lts yet, have you JZAB? I'm asking because I'm in Bravo and not IFS complete. As far as I know, I'm still supposed to do it here, but if you know anything different, I'd appreciate it.

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
I'm going to OCC this summer, so this is not even a real issue for me yet, but this made me wonder what this means as far as BAH, and all that? Will BAH be authorized for the two months to complete IFS, or is it a per diem type thing?

If they haven't told you yet, so you don't know, no big deal, just a thought. Thanks.

Right now the Marines who are doing IFS in Quantico (Manassas airport) are receiving BAH, which starts from their TBS graduation date until they complete IFS and move to Pensacola.

I just finished IFS here and it took me 62 days, and I was the first one done out of my class of 12.

Trev82

pilot
hey thanks for all the great replies..damn i didn't know we would need to report to main side though it makes sense. I was hoping to get placed in mike co and just rack out in one of the boq rooms somewhere on barrett. Either way it doesn't really matter, but honestly the whole situation sounds like a gaggle f$&#%. JZAB fill me in with whatever updates you have, i appreciate it.

corpsocgmu

Marine Officer
pilot
I was hoping to get placed in mike co and just rack out in one of the boq rooms somewhere on barrett. \

Not nearly as much fun as it sounds. I graduated from Charlie in October and spent the next few months waiting to start IFS, and then got to wait some more while in the program. The Mike lifestyle was a nice change of pace for a week or so, but then it began to be a bit frustrating that things weren't progressing. Altogether, I spent about 5 months in Mike trying to knock out IFS....trust me, it wasn't that great. The deal they have now (Read every company since 3-07) is that you are part of ATB and live in Liversedge Hall (vice the BOQ at TBS), which I've heard is a pretty sweet deal. I also believe that you rate BAH, so after paying for quarters, you make a little bit of money from the situation. Then you just muster wherever ATB tells you to, whether that be at their offices or at the airport.

Anyone who is currently part of ATB and doing IFS care to comment?

UORBulldog

(This applies only to post-TBS IFS)
Ya, only the post Delta guys got to live at Liversedge, and that is no longer an option. Now everyone gets Quantico 22134 BAH which is about 1080 for single LT's I believe. I got an apartment in Manassas with another guy from my TBS platoon so it's a pretty good deal. A 3 month lease was perfect for us.

Before you graduate from TBS you'll request and get an IFS start date. So once you are done with TBS, you'll check out of the Q, go wherever you move to (nowhere on base) Now, if there's so many of you that everybody can't start IFS all at the same time, they'll split it up as already mentioned, about 3 weeks apart. (You'll already have requested your start date whether you want to start right away or wait a while if you want to take leave or something) If you don't take leave after TBS grad. and have to wait a few weeks befor you start IFS, you will have to report to mainside. (Barber Gym) When I was doing that in January we just had to sign in and PT for a couple hours and then go to the library and study (which got canked pretty quick because, what are we going to study?) Whatever that muster situation is might have changed since then, I don't know.

Once you have started IFS or if your start date was following TBS grad. the way we are doing it is, you go to the airport (Manassas) NOT on base. I've been on base twice in the last 3 months. You go to IFS and that's it. The way we are doing it is you gotta be there from 1000 to 1400 if you don't have a flight.. and if you do have a flight you just show up for the flight and that's it. If that seems kind of weird, I didn't make it up. That can make for some boredom if you only get scheduled a couple times a week and have to sit there for 4 hours.. but big boy rules apply, it's up to you to be there. We've already got warned though that these are the rules and if we mess them up, then everybody will just get shipped back into the barracks and we'll have to muster at 7 every morning (which probably wouldn't be possible anyway) but still. Just remember, Quantico BAH is more than Pensacola BAH