• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

slabman

SNA Primary (Whiting)
Hey,
Does anyone know if the navy limits what type of plane they will pay for during IFS. I know i took a few lessons and flew the cessna 152 because it was the cheapest. I would like to fly a low wing if possible, which would be similar to the T-34C.

Slabman

s_aslam

K-Ron, Our family is fully aware of the length of separation, and other sacrifices, that are and will be required in the Navy. I would think that the Navy wouldn't accept someone for such a position, who didn't understand something like this. Though, I didn't expect this to happen literally immediately, or possibly for longer than 6 months.

S_ASLAM

Stephanie

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I flew 152's also. I THINK the devildogs going through in Quantico are flying Piper low-wings (can't remember which one's). Down here in P'cola they are flying 172's I think. We lost a Marine here in the Fall that was flying a high-wing (172 I think). I'm not exactly sure what determines what you are flying. The school I went through in Arkansas had 2 152's and 1 172 (they only used it for instrument training). About 5 hours before completion, somebody bought the farm in one of the 152's so it made training time hard to come by. I was the only FIP'er (Flight Indoctrination Program) so I got "special" treatment...yeah, yeah the whole short bus thing. Actually they were all excited because they thought I was off to fly Hornets or something.

aslam

K-Ron it's not about going back home. It's about being with my family, my wife. I'm not on deployment, nor am I preparing for one. Yes I realize what comes with this and I am following through. I'm just not one of those people who looks forward to being separated like that, but perhaps you are.

Good luck with your family, thanks for the insight.

ASLAM.

Ghish

All flight contracts will have to go to IFS after TBS. They must complete IFS within 60 days before going to API. It is not required for NFOs to go to IFS, but some of them may have the option to still go if they want to. We had an IFS brief about a month ago, and we were told most people finish IFS within 30 days.

Hope this helps.

-Ghish

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IFS is mandatory for all SNA's prior to the start of API. As for NFO's, the navy will be starting an IFS-like program for them starting this summer. More to follow as information becomes available.
Marines will more than likely do IFS after TBS (unless there is some sort of back-up) and Navy types will do IFS at P'Cola prior to API.
Most ROTC's and Naval Academy will get the student through IFS prior to graduation. The NROTC's that do not have an FAR141 certified school within 40 miles will send their newly commissioned Ensigns to P'Cola where they will do IFS before API.
IFS is to give aviators exposure to the cockpit and attain some level of comfort before flying in the Pipeline.
Somebody asked about why IFS was not in the Pipeline drawing...IFS is new and is not reflected. Expect some growing pains in the IFS program as it continues to grow and the Navy learns from it's mistakes.
Hope this helps!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
ea6bflyr and K-ron,

You guys have answered my question right on the dot. I appreciate the senior help for others that aren't commissioned yet. This helps me get an insight on what to expect after OCS. It's too bad they won't let BDCP'ers do IFS before OCS, due to the fact that we are getting paid, and in the summer time, it will be for nothing. But, like ea6bflyer said... expect growing pains.... maybe that option will be in the future. Here's a good question for anyone that wants to tackle it.
What is the difference between a Part 61 and Part 141 school? I know the size of the school is one, butis the curriculum totally different? Thanks guys,

Dustin

adam

SNA, VT-21
primarily, the part 141 syllabus is different than 61. the schools usually have an in-house faa examiner and you do three stage checks during your private pilot training. there is less of a chance of busting your check ride if you go through this type of school.

i finished ifs in december, and it is a great program. for the guy asking about what kind of aircraft you fly, down here in pensacola currently you can go to the eglin aero club, pensacola aero club and miracle strip aviation in destin. miracle strip and eglin fly 172s and pensacola flies low-wing tomahawks. i suggest you all check out the website for up-to-date information. it is https://www.ifs.cnet.navy.mil

one thing to keep in mind is that it is a "screening process" and you can be attrited. we just had a guy get commissioned through ocs and start ifs, only to be DISCHARGED for failing to complete ifs. that's right-no redesignation. that said, it is a really easy program for 95% of the people and personally for me, a ton of fun.

a little update on the pool, currently it is 12 weeks to go to corpus, 15-18 to go to whiting and random to go to vance and moody. this by no means reflects what it will be like several months from now, just the time being. when we started ocs we were told we'd class up immediately for api, and just 13 weeks later, the wait is 3-4 months.

........and i'm spent.....

K-Ron

Sorry Aslam if I came of as short with you. Posts don't allow for inflection and I don't fully explain becuase I get tired of typing. I didn't mean to imply a judgement call towards you about your attitude in earlier posts.

I don't intend to be mean or ugly. This topic is suppposed to be about IFS, but indulge me please. For everyone: Take the following however you want, if it doesn't apply to you throw it away. If it does apply, stick in your big bag of knowledge to be used at some later date.

Your commitment is to serve the Navy, US, constitution, etc. Not the other way around. Although it's logical not to expect unforseen sacrifices, it is important to accept them. It's more than deployments. Even on homecycle you'll have work-ups, detachments, training evolutions and various other sundry items which will take you away from where you want to be. I never saw Tom Cruise waiting around for a broken plane, writing evals, wearing khakis on a 24 hour watch, or collecting samples as the Squadron Urinalysis Officer. I'll tell you this...the flying makes up for every bit of it. But realize early on that we are a Naval Officer first and a Naval Aviator second. If I did it all over again; I'd give some serious thought to the Air Force. *soapbox returned to storage*

BTW, I'm not married because I refused to have children while in a position to be away from them for so long. I've seen too many pilots get divorces and too many kids cry at homecoming because they don't recognize daddy. Other people can live life like that...I'm not one of them.

Play nice with others,
K-Ron

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Thanks for answering my question about the Part 61 - Part 141 difference. Another one though. It would be nice to get a PPL out of this mess. Does anyone know the answer to this?: If I were to have about 20 flight hours in a Part 61 school (learn the ground work on my own, but hire an instructor for the flying portion), then graduate OCS and go to IFS, would they start me from scratch, or would I start where I left off, and possibly get my PPL out of it?? I know that I have to complete atleast 25 flight hours and solo once in IFS, but is this 25 hours for IFS, or your own total of 25 hours?

Thanks again,

Dustin

adam

SNA, VT-21
first, you might not go to ifs with that many hours, but it's a possibility. if you do go through ifs, you will follow the same syllabus that everybody does. you won't be able to "start where you left off." however, if you did want to go ahead and get your ppl afterwards it probably wouldn't take too long. you'd have two stage check rides left and then your faa check ride for your license. what's the point though? you'll have zero time to fly as a civ anyway during training.

NuSnake

K-ron,

I agree comletely with your take on a family. My question, are there many like you, still single pilots? Cause I dont want to hang out with a bunch of married types, hahaha...jk.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
your post on marriage in the Navy was a good read. I too have someone who I plan to marry soon. Luckily for me during training she will still be very busy with school...she is going pre-med. SHe is fully aware of the deployments that I will (hopefully) be on, and even though she doesnt like it, she understands what it means to me.

funkonomics

Point of Clarification, I'm confused about this IFS/API thing.

First, I'll have my PPL before OCS, so I don't have to do IFS?
The Navy will not move my wife out until AFTER API? So API is a TDY?
If one is selected for Vance, does that take place after API? Or is there an equivalent AF "API" @ Vance?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
If you've got a PPL, then no, you won't do IFS. No, the Navy won't move your wife for API because it is TDY, but when you report for Primary, they'll pay then (it's considered PCS). If you are to go to Vance, it will be for Primary, after completion of API in P'cola.

Status
Not open for further replies.