• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shutter

I have met Marines who have done the Quantico IFS so it is definitely happening. I'm not sure wether or not ALL Marines will finish it there. Apparently their program just got started so I imagine some may do it at P-cola also, but you will do it one way or the other. It's a great program, lots of free stuff!

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
The navy wont let you do IFS before ocs. THe reason, what if you dont pass/complete OCS or the NAMI WHami may get you. THe navy would lose $$. Also IFS gives you 25 flight hours. You dont get that at API. You basically get ground school, a little navigation and get to solo and do a cross country at IFS. Enjoy it. It will help in API and Primary.

Dave

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
aslam,

thats correct. you wont pcs until after api. your move to primary will be a pcs.

dave

aslam

Thanks again EODDave. I guess I might be TDY in Pensacola for some time then? For IFS then API before I get a PCS to where I go for primary. That's gonna be tough, 6 month separation from my wife.

ASLAM.

adam

SNA, VT-21
if you are married you MIGHT be able to have your orders for primary cut early so you can move your wife down to the area. some people have been able to, but for others the process has been difficult.

aslam

I am engaged but not married yet, so I don't think I am going to get any breaks. Only time will tell, but thanks for the info.

ASLAM.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
First off. What does IFS stand for? Secondly, when I get done with both PLC's and TBS does this mean that I have to go take IFS before API? I want to get things cleared up so I'll know what my pipeline will look like. Thanks to those who repsond. Semper Fi

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

aslam

Introductory Flight Screening. I hear you take this before API if you don't have a private pilots license or less than a set amount of flight hours (I don't know how many).

I can't answer your other questions.

ASLAM.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Thanks. I'm thinking about getting my PPl after PLC Srs cause the Corps pays for 25 flight hours.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
IFS is before API and if you have no or less than 25 hours you'll get put in the program.

Dave

aslam

EODDave, I never asked. Did you do IFS? Just curious on your experience if so. Since it is before PCS do people in IFS get per diem like in API? I am thinking that unless I get stashed back on the west coast between OCS & IFS or IFS & API then I will be separated from my family for 6 months or more perhaps (including my time at OCS).

ASLAM.

K-Ron

IFS is required for all who don't hold a pilot certificate (rec, private, or higher) and haven't completed a solo cross-country.

K-Ron

K-Ron

D Mac IFS is very new. Ramp up is as follows: FY02 350, FY03 800, FY04 and beyond..all USN, MC and CG.
IFS intent is to measure SNP aeronautical adaptabliity, enthusiasm, motivation and desire to fly.
You fly with a FAR part 141 school. Programs will may differ from place to place; but here's the intent and reason.
You are approved to receive civilian flight training. You make the appointments, you get ready to fly, you drive your own sylabus with a civilian flight instructor. The Navy removes the financial barrier to flying. Those who complete the requirements by the deadline are motivated to fly; those who don't, aren't. Saving the Nav $$. Civilian flight instructors and Cessnas are cheaper than senior LT pilots and T-34's.
Now what does it give you that API doesn't? You don't get any "houses get bigger, houses get smaller" monkey skills in API. Benefit: you get some prior exposure to FR&R, Comms, Basic Aero, etc: Oh yeah, you get to go flying for free.
BTW, no extra points for finishing IFS quickly.

K-Ron

Side note to Aslam: You do realize we're talking about the Navy here? We deploy...six months...family separation. I've met lots of people who joined the Navy to go back home...it still boggles my mind.

K-Ron
I miss Houston; but I miss the places I haven't been more.

Status
Not open for further replies.